Sea Lice and Fish Farms

Can you suggest a way to count the dead wild smolts after they have been infected by sea lice as they pass by the fish farms? Make sure that you separate the dead ones by how many sea lice are on them. While you're at it find a way to count the live ones that make it through and follow them till they return to spawn as adults and show that they did not die prespawn. Please break that number down by how many sea lice were on them when they were a smolt passing by the fish farms.

Question to others...... has anyone ever seen an adult salmon that clearly showed sea lice damage (healed scar) as a smolt? I have seen thousands of adult salmon and have seen some weird things but never seen what might look like sea lice damage except of course the damage that we all see in adults behind the butt.

That's going to leave a scar.....
1384373914-102c9715ae22614b83502ba5a0537ce3f14de505_MQ.jpg

lol almo's picture again from her famous claim that pinks were going to be extinct in brighton archipelago. Where is her famous peer reviewed paper again?

"What people don't realize is that the pinks are actually food not only for bears and eagles, but for all the other salmon," says Morton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/f...ild-salmon-extinct-in-a-decade-study-1.664718

you can't make this garbage up lol

lol almo's picture again from her famous claim that pinks were going to be extinct in brighton archipelago. Where is her famous peer reviewed paper again?

"What people don't realize is that the pinks are actually food not only for bears and eagles, but for all the other salmon," says Morton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/f...ild-salmon-extinct-in-a-decade-study-1.664718

You can't make this garbage up lol
Admin has asked us to be respectful..... that includes you. If you feel the need to attack me then fine PM me and I'll be more then happy to take you on.

Admin has asked us to be respectful..... that includes you. If you feel the need to attack me then fine PM me and I'll be more then happy to take you on.

There was no reference to you in their only to almo and her garbage science where she get statisticians to make assumptions about her garbage science.

There was no reference to you in their only to almo and her garbage science where she get statisticians to make assumptions about her garbage science.
Then prove it with science.... other then that then it's just you opinion and we all know the saying.

Then prove it with science.... other then that then it's just you opinion and we all know the saying.

How many times do we have to go threw this she made the claim in 2008 that pink salmon would be extinct due to sea louse. Then in 2015 it saw its biggest return of pink salmon ever. Why must we revisit this with links again and again.

Why do u think almo never brings this back up now in today's media and has moved on to PRV?

she has a huge grudge against fish farm because when they first showed up in echo bay in 1987 they chased off her precious Killer whale pod with acoustic devices that she moved their to study.

When shes done with fish farms she's coming after your recreational chinook fishery

I don't even no why were still arguing about sea lice even almo says its not a problem any more.

"
Morton and Krkošek say collapse of Broughton Archipelago pink salmon was averted because their warnings were heeded. Fish farms adopted better pest management practices and got sea lice infestations under control.

“When the lice numbers declined on the pink salmon, their survival improved, and they began to recover,” Krkošek said in an email to BIV."

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/5/whats-destabilizing-bcs-wild-salmon-stocks/

How many times do we have to go threw this she made the claim in 2008 that pink salmon would be extinct due to sea louse. Then in 2015 it saw its biggest return of pink salmon ever. Why must we revisit this with links again and again.

Why do u think almo never brings this back up now in today's media and has moved on to PRV?

she has a huge grudge against fish farm because when they first showed up in echo bay in 1987 they chased off her precious Killer whale pod with acoustic devices that she moved their to study.

When shes done with fish farms she's coming after your recreational chinook fishery

Perhaps it was before your time when we found out that the measures that were being taken to control sea lice in that area were not good enough, things were getting out of control. Industry changed its practice in timing it's treatments and the sea lice problem was much reduced. Just an example of how science can inform government and industry and if they listen, change policy for the better.

I don't even no why were still arguing about sea lice even almo says its not a problem any more.

"
Morton and Krkošek say collapse of Broughton Archipelago pink salmon was averted because their warnings were heeded. Fish farms adopted better pest management practices and got sea lice infestations under control.

“When the lice numbers declined on the pink salmon, their survival improved, and they began to recover,” Krkošek said in an email to BIV."

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/5/whats-destabilizing-bcs-wild-salmon-stocks/

Looks like you answered your own question. Glad you're curious enough to look for yourself.
BUT.... you're wrong about the sea lice levels in that area. The are getting out of control again. I suspect that the warnings will be headed and something will be done again. It's in the best interest of industry to react now and not just hide from their responsibility.

Looks like you answered your own question. Glad you're curious enough to look for yourself.
BUT.... you're wrong about the sea lice levels in that area. The are getting out of control again. I suspect that the warnings will be headed and something will be done again. It's in the best interest of industry to react now and not just hide from their responsibility.
Not sure about your numbers - you always struggle at producing them, but I agree that it is in the industry's best interest to address any issues or problems with there operations. Why don't you support this effort to fix and improve?

@bones, if sea lice are not a concern for farms or for wild salmon then why are fish farms spending millions (according to FF mouthpiece Jeremy Dunn) right now to try to find solutions to the 'sea lice' problem? Perhaps someone from the FF industry cares to explain in detail where these millions are being spent? what new technology? what new deterrents? etc? Would be nice to hear those with in-depth knowledge on this.

It does matter... Because sealice have been there in high concentrations for longer than the farms. You need a baseline so when you sample 500 pieces and count the loading you have some form of comparison. Then you will know if your samples are near death loading or just holding sealice naturally....sealice are in the Broughton because of wild salmon.....wild smolts carry them naturally, I'm asking when does it become unnatural? When will it carry enough to die?

You've been looking at pictures from activists and they tell you this is bad.....
I'm simply asking how bad?

@bones, if sea lice are not a concern for farms or for wild salmon then why are fish farms spending millions (according to FF mouthpiece Jeremy Dunn) right now to try to find solutions to the 'sea lice' problem? Perhaps someone from the FF industry cares to explain in detail where these millions are being spent? what new technology? what new deterrents? etc? Would be nice to hear those with in-depth knowledge on this.
It not my question it one asked by DFO, and yes you do need weight. Innocent untill proven guilty......
Sealice are naturally occurring within the Broughton. At what point is it unnatural and fish farms are killing wild salmon stocks?

It not my question it one asked by DFO, and yes you do need weight. Innocent untill proven guilty......
Sealice are naturally occurring within the Broughton. At what point is it unnatural and fish farms are killing wild salmon stocks?

So what was the baseline for sea lice on wild smolts before the FF's arrived. If you going to claim that they are naturally occuring within that area then you should show that.

Good question, your the ones with all the studies.....what is it? Your studies are complete right? You insist on peer reviewed papers.

Innocent until proven guilty.
I think the Russian doping control program and athletes said the same thing.
Science, that even the corrupt IOC could not ignore, finally caught up to them.

Too bad precautionary principle is not being applied by DFO or government, because that excuse would not be valid.
All your other demands (how many, what weight ...) really are just another way of saying, innocent until proven guilty.

Wow.

Good question, your the ones with all the studies.....what is it? Your studies are complete right? You insist on peer reviewed papers.
I'm not the one that is making the claim... you are. So if you want to continue making that claim then please show us your backup. If not then stop.

I have made no claims, only ask for an answer. How many wild salmon do fish farms kill.

Your telling an industry to pack up and move out just asking what the influence is...... What value?
It's an honest question, a question that will never get answered. It's a DFO question. If 80-90% of out going smolts are being eaten by predators. Then what's left for fish farms to kill?
People would like to know.....

Back