Brake Lines

Red Monster

I'm planning on some brake work on my trailer including replacing the steel lines and was just told that I can't use rubber lines because that's not approved in Canada. Really? :(

Well you need rubber between the brake assembly and frame however rubber between master and wheel would be pretty expensive, don't know about against the law.

Plastic air lines are certainly legal for air brakes. Rubber won’t work for hydraulic lines. They need to be rigid to hold pressure. I use plastic air brake lines for my trim tabs. They work well. I don’t see why they would be illegal for trailer brakes when they are legal for big trucks.

Last edited:
Plastic air lines are certainly legal for air brakes. Rubber won’t work for hydraulic lines. They need to be rigid to hold pressure. I use plastic air brake lines for my trim tabs. They work well. I don’t see why they would be illegal for trailer brakes when they are legal for big trucks.
Big difference in pressure. Darwin moment however you will probably kill someone else while you are at it.

Hydraulic brakes with air brake hose, I have recommended airbrake hose for trim tabs and steering.

Steel only for hydraulics lines is what I'm saying. Nothing else.

Many of the kits you buy to install new disc brakes on boat trailers, have no steel brake lines at all. only reinforced and lined rubber ones.

The most pressure one of those air hoses would see on over the highway rigs would be 110psi +/-. Hydraulic brake pressure can easily exceed 1400 psi.

If by braided you mean braided stainless brake lines, the braid only covers the core. The core is usually made of teflon. The braid looks nice and does prevent expansion of the core and resists abrasion better then rubber. not really necessary on boat trailers, which seldom if ever require expensive high performance parts.

Steel only for hydraulics lines is what I'm saying. Nothing else.
You may be replacing the brake lines because they have rusted out. If you are going to continue with metal brake lines, you can purchase stainless brake lines, which would probably outlast your trailer. Stainless steel brake lines were very difficult to form, but there are new ones out there that are softer and can be formed with regular tubing tools

Steel pretty much no swell, it's on a trailer but if you had hoses running to brakes with hoses on your truck your brake pedal would feel like a marshmallow. Epoxy painted options, stainless a little work but hardline cheap, safe, legal.

Greenline (formerly Coast Industrial) sells a copper alloy brake line that was recommended to me for my boat trailer. I replaced mine about 3 yrs ago...they look good after 3 yrs use. I replaced only the lines running from the calipers and across the axles to the other side...they are the ones that get submerged.

I'm planning on some brake work on my trailer including replacing the steel lines and was just told that I can't use rubber lines because that's not approved in Canada. Really? :(

Wow - not sure who told you this - but I suspect it will be a big surprise to most outfits (e.g. Comox Valley Marine) selling complete reinforced rubber brake line kits for boat trailers. I replaced my steel lines along the axles (i.e. between the disc brakes) with a kit I bought from CV Marine. They seem to work just fine.

That's approved in the states so that means it's ok in the states. Canada not so much?

That's approved in the states so that means it's ok in the states. Canada not so much?

Well having read the article put forth by Wild Bill, in the heading it pretty clearly shows that Transport Canada is mirroring the regulations set out and approved by the US DOT. It seems that if it is DOT approved then it is also MOT approved at least as far as brake hose is concerned.

Back