Sockeye hootchies

Oly1

Looking at the Sockeye dummy flasher thread, I have seen many different ideas that people use for their hootchie hook setups. Some I have never really heard about before. What is everyone's go to Sockeye setup behind the flasher.

Oly

In the past my go to has been the mp 68 with a single black hook on a swivel with varying leader lengths.

I think the Natives have the best Sockeye Tackle....a Status Card and a Long net.

From flasher:

24 inch 40lb leader, Swivel buried in the hootch, hot pink hootch, Single 3/0 or 4/0 siwash.

And does everyone trim the length down so the tenicles are flush with the single hook? I have also heard that it can help to remove every second tenticle

I see some, from the dummy flasher thread that looks like they are making their own homemade type hootchie contraption.( page 2 bottom two pictures) What exactly is that Dogbreath? Looks like a fine piece of ingenuity there.

Oly

That's a homemade Googly Eyed Wild Thing/easy to make easy to fish and works for Springs as well even with a shorter leader.

Funny taking the pic I noticed I no longer have any that are all Pink everything is Pink/Glo no matter they all work.

Those are wooden beads for whatever reason don't think they work any better but plastic beads don't take a magic marker colouring very well and the wooden ones do.

20171113_091636[1].jpg 20171113_091655[1].jpg

This is the guy in Port Hardy who originated them AFAIK http://www.lures.org/

One of the “s’s“ of sockeye fishing is ‘sparse’-meaning sparse red. Only a few red/pink strands is required. My go to hootchie is half blue, half pink which provides the same effect.

Love all the sockeye ingenuity, loved seeing an older(wiser) fellow in a small 14' tinny in 2014 with a homemade "slide" off the back of his boat into the water and he just kept sliding those babies up the ramp and into the boat. Hopefully next falls a good one!

Back