New to Vancouver island and fishing

Sloan527

Ive never fished before and im moving to vancouver island near nanimo.

I was hoping someone can send me links to forums or youtube videos to on fishing for beginners?
I was also hoping to catch some crabs, lobsters and maybe muscles, clams, oysters if thats possible too. I will have a dirt bike so I can bike around the island to get some of the locations.

Any and all advice is welcome thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and VI.Whinchelsea plc. heavy spin rod and reel to cast mack deep.Horne lk camp has a point at river .light spin rod and reel with 4# test, cast out no weight and let dew worm and roe fall to bottom.Good luck and don't spend all your time at one spot as others need to fish too.

Ok
Welcome to the forum and VI.Whinchelsea plc. heavy spin rod and reel to cast mack deep.Horne lk camp has a point at river .light spin rod and reel with 4# test, cast out no weight and let dew worm and roe fall to bottom.Good luck and don't spend all your time at one spot as others need to fish too.

Ok thank you! Yeah I will be moving around alot, i want to see lots of the island

Welcome to the forums! The majority of posters here are lower mainland or Vancouver Island based, and most of them troll for salmon from boats. But there's lots of other species and methods discussed, as you'll find as you read. There's info on crabbing and prawning, but not much on lobsters and mussels. We don't really have lobster here, they don't come this far north. We do have lots of mussels, but they're small compared to the Atlantic version and less popular for food than clams or oyster. Clams and oyster are easy to find, look for a beach with lots of shell grit on the surface. Scratch down 2-4 inches with a little one-hand gardening fork and you'll find lots of native littleneck clams and manilla clams. If you're not finding three or four clams in every forkful, move a little higher or lower on the beach. There is a zone where they get the optimum balance of high tide water coverage and low tide exposure, you need to find that sweet spot. Keep clams bigger than a loonie and up to 2", bigger ones are probably butter clams, razor clams etc and aren't as tender as the littlenecks and manillas. Oysters are right on the surface and generally same places you'll find clams.

Welcome to the forums! The majority of posters here are lower mainland or Vancouver Island based, and most of them troll for salmon from boats. But there's lots of other species and methods discussed, as you'll find as you read. There's info on crabbing and prawning, but not much on lobsters and mussels. We don't really have lobster here, they don't come this far north. We do have lots of mussels, but they're small compared to the Atlantic version and less popular for food than clams or oyster. Clams and oyster are easy to find, look for a beach with lots of shell grit on the surface. Scratch down 2-4 inches with a little one-hand gardening fork and you'll find lots of native littleneck clams and manilla clams. If you're not finding three or four clams in every forkful, move a little higher or lower on the beach. There is a zone where they get the optimum balance of high tide water coverage and low tide exposure, you need to find that sweet spot. Keep clams bigger than a loonie and up to 2", bigger ones are probably butter clams, razor clams etc and aren't as tender as the littlenecks and manillas. Oysters are right on the surface and generally same places you'll find clams.
Ok thank you! Ill just be fishing by the shore side, my boss is getting a boat with a sonar in the summer time
Is there salt water fishing around the island? Im planning on road tripping around the island this summer with a couple buddies
Is there a spot on the forum to find good fishing locations? Im really interested in salmon fishing

Look above the “General Forum” where you posted, there is a heading for the
“Saltwater Forum”. Under this forum there is another heading called
“2017 Fishing Reports”. There you will see the various salt water areas reported on by members. Just because fishing sounds good this morning in one area doesn't mean it will be good for you this afternoon. Read, listen, learn from the experienced (20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish). Best to get out there and make your own experience. Remember to check regulations as they can be difficult to interpret.
Best of luck to you....

Look above the “General Forum” where you posted, there is a heading for the
“Saltwater Forum”. Under this forum there is another heading called
“2017 Fishing Reports”. There you will see the various salt water areas reported on by members. Just because fishing sounds good this morning in one area doesn't mean it will be good for you this afternoon. Read, listen, learn from the experienced (20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish). Best to get out there and make your own experience. Remember to check regulations as they can be difficult to interpret.
Best of luck to you....

Thank you!

Go see RVP at PNT in P'Ville. Or, Dane at the Harbour Chandler.
I just moved back to the mainland after a stint in Nanaimo. Can be tough on the inside during the winter because of the winds.
Be ready for April till June. Best is May when the Whiteys move through. Spatterbacks, Irish Creme, and some new ones are working well.
Have fun!

This is good advice above. Go to either Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo or Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville. Both excellent shops where you will find lots of help for locations to fish and the proper gear to purchase that will work for how you want to fish (from shore or boat). Once you have some experience, you will likely be able to better interpret what you read here on this forum. To a newbie, you may find a lot of what you read here to be very cryptic. LOL

get bossman to bring the boat to bamfield. hire me for a half day (cheap) and i can show you guys the ropes.

Great advice from tropywife - that's how I got started on WCVI about 30 years back; did the same thing the next year.

Back