2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I known of 5 Chinooks taken on 2 boats today. Spoons behind Flashers down 165’ in Howe Sound. Largest pushing 29”. Bonchovy Skinny G and silver Horde 3.5”. Pretty sure they caught all the fish at that spot.

View attachment 35833
The first mile running down along Galiano from the pass ,.. first fish was in 165 feet and the second fish was in 180 feet of water.
Thanks for the intel Teja, we dropped the traps at Tent Island on the way to Porlier this morning and where thru the gap just shortly after tide change. In short order we were rewarded with a beautiful 72cm red spring. We also released one right around 60cm and another one closer to 50cm. We pulled the pin at noon and were rewarded with 200 prawns for our efforts. What a great Sunday on the water. Flat seas, clear skies, and mild temperatures. What a perfect day,

Attachments

• 20171029_080723.jpg
    20171029_080723.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20171029_105547.jpg
    20171029_105547.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 109
Thanks reeltime. I'm using windows 10 with chrome. I also tried posting from my Samsung S6. All photos were taken in portrait orientation. I tried rotating photos in a photo editor and saving but that didn' work. My last effort was to create an album in the group and rotate here which worked except I set the preferences so I'm the only one that can see the photos lol. My son has no problem with his photos on an IPhone 6 and a Mac.

Thanks reeltime. I'm using windows 10 with chrome. I also tried posting from my Samsung S6. All photos were taken in portrait orientation. I tried rotating photos in a photo editor and saving but that didn' work. My last effort was to create an album in the group and rotate here which worked except I set the preferences so I'm the only one that can see the photos lol. My son has no problem with his photos on an IPhone 6 and a Mac.
Try Youtube it's has a lot of How to video's , should be on there for sure good luck and nice fish bud .

If someone had some time tomorrow, where might be a good spot to try and get into a fish or 2. South arm? Harbour?

Thanks!

Go to any spot in Lower Howe Sound or anywhere on the backside of Bowen....put a spoon on a 6 foot leader behind a bright flasher...such as a Glow Cop Car on one side...and on the other side do the same with a Green and White behind some other fangled latest and greatest flasher and start trolling. A Green Glow or Herring Aide is the Bomb. Troll in 115-170 feet of water and let your cannonball hit the bottom then bring up 2 feet. Troll in long straight passes.

Get results like Bonnie Lee Charters did yesterday. I know another boat who was in the same area as him and he got 2 about ten pounds as well. Sunday.jpg herring aide 2.jpg

Rudy got his fish on Pescas

Last edited:
Thanks fishin_magician! Still learning the ins and outs of the seasons/locations, i appreciate it!

No problem.
Other tips in winter: fish around high slack tides. 2 hours before to 2 hours after the high. No need to make this an all day affair.
Stick and Stay and make it pay may not be your best strategy. If you don’t mark bait and your sounder/transducer is decent and you aren’t marking fish, MOVE.
If you show up at one spot and there are lots of other boats there, keep going to the next spot. You are better off finding your own water.

Pick your weather and days. There is lots of fishable water out there.

Little late but... Fished Tunstall Wednesday morning from 10-12, had bit of a human error delay getting out there earlier and had to work in the afternoon. Doubled up on a pair of unders that were decent healthy looking fish but not worth measuring and that was it for us. One other boat in there, bud fishing solo making me look bad, saw him shake off a few small ones and netted a keeper. Skinny G's and 2.5 pescas in the mud for me. Couple dozen prawns was all I could find on the short soak. Beauty day though.

Ahh yes... that 'ol sound of crickets....

Planning to drop the prawn and crab traps in the next few days, just trying to keep this thread warm ;).

465F98E5-EE51-45BB-AD57-7F40A0F535F3.jpeg Took the boat out to warm up the engines and ran over to Tunstall and put in a few hours in the a.m. yesterday. Released 6 shakers and managed to catch one 66cm red spring that, mid fight, battled a lot larger than he was. Final score ... Fisherman 1; Seal 0.

Well if this damn wind forecast dies down a bit for Sunday, I will be on the water. Will report back if I get out.
Assuming you didn't get out in the gale force winds :mad:

Back