Sockeye dummy flashers

I like the looks of a couple of Canso's.

Ya I snuck a couple extra in there. Lol
Those look good,Canso! Do you know the name of that style flasher by chance?
the tape is blue green mist, you can get it on any colour blade, oki would send me whatever combo blade and tape I could dream up.
Blue is also a fishy flasher, maybe something about blue light penetrating the deepest.
The blue hotshots in the top of the pic are also in rotation, and always use a matching set.

I quickly eliminated pink, orange and red. That's when I realized it's sockeye I'm trying to imitate, not there food.

IMG_0515.JPG

When fishing sockeye do you find some colors of dummy flashers work better than others? Also what line do you use to make up the leader on the dummy? In the past I've used braided downrigger line. I hope there is a sockeye fishery in the inlet next year, as i missed it this summer.
anyone know at the approx dia an 11" and 8" flasher rotate ?

I have a red kone zone and found I get way more action on the other side where I just run a standard dummy flasher. Never really understood the red flaser thing, had much better luck with standard green flashers.

I SMASH EM with the red theme, some greens mixed in from time to time..... But why fix what ain't broken.

does everyone use tandem singles? anyone use 1 single with a swivel? or treble with single stinger?

When fishing sockeye do you find some colors of dummy flashers work better than others? Also what line do you use to make up the leader on the dummy? In the past I've used braided downrigger line. I hope there is a sockeye fishery in the inlet next year, as i missed it this summer.
I'm thinking of rigging my outriggers to get maybe 7-9 rods out. anyone tried?

Got grandkid's wanting to fish; thing of trying the Socks. What speed are you trolling at?

With 7-9 lines your effective fishing is going to decline..you will spend more time with gear in the boat, trying to get it back in the water, tangled and not spending as much time looking for jumpers and getting the gear into a school of fish.

For what it is worth my commercial friends fish red, green and blue hotspots. On different days they all out fish each other. Depends on light conditions and clarity of water. One common theme though for them is lots of flashers:)

Commercial trollers are after thousands of pieces...we are only allowed 4 each. In my case I only want 2 sockeye for each person on board because the primary focus is always Chinook. Take any more than 2 sockeye and you reduce your Chinook opportunities.

The sockeye jack return this year on the Fraser was only a third of what it was 4 years ago. I hope for every ones sake , but mostly the fish, that the Adams cycle is not going to follow the same downward spiral that the other three cycles have done...
I sincerely hope I am wrong.

The sockeye jack return this year on the Fraser was only a third of what it was 4 years ago. I hope for every ones sake , but mostly the fish, that the Adams cycle is not going to follow the same downward spiral that the other three cycles have done...
I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Warm blob 2015 these smolts would of hit the water in 2015. I hope as well they somehow did better the other stocks. What test fishery are u using for your data?

Last edited:
Did you use area 12 and 20 other wise have adjust for diversion rate. Also make sure you use the same dates and not just the sums for the year as they run the seines different amount of times some years depending on the return. I was going to crunch the numbers using the Whonnock gill net as it's the most consistent through the years but there is not many jacks that get caught in the gill net so to hard to use for data. How many years did you go back? is there a correlation?

Seine test fishery in Johnstone Straits.
Small fish like jacks and immature coho/chinook are supposed to be able to squeeze through the bunt meshes of a seine.
I never saw a sockeye jack in Johnstone Straight or San Juan in 10 summers.
I did go to watch the spawn at Adams River in 2014. Huge numbers in the river and on the shore of the lake compared to 2010 and 2006, which I also visited. Fingers crossed that the Adams R, Shuswap Lake, Thompson, Fraser, and the ocean were compatible for a good return. The adults made it back by the millions.

I like a dummy on the ball, a rod, another dummy, then another rod, then another dummy above that on each side. Gotta be fast clipping and unclipping in traffic.
Dummies on 4-5 foot leashes. Silver and red on one side. Green/blue on the other.
I may try to get a third rigger with just dummies down the middle opposite my kicker next chance we get. Homemade googly -eyed thing or sparse glow head w/ single hook.

Last edited:
Back