Wild Bill'D thread!

So asking for a little guidance....
I have some hardware on the front deck, bow roller, a place to stow anchor, and rope stuffed down a little hole while your sticking out of a little hole trying to stuff rope through a little hole. Looks kinda cool but if I get the gist there are better ways to anchor. I'm thinking removing all that, plugging holes and anchoring with a ball, collecting on the side. Guys use their pot pullers for pulling anchor line? Your going to have buckets of line anywhere anyways right. That's what I have been looking for is how everyone deals with all that line.

I have lowrance lms 350a, cool gps thing, paddle wheel, it lights up, all 00000. Recycle it? I would be looking like $1000 budget.

Any ideas for a prop? 14-15 /19? 4 blade aluminum. To much? 225 optimax 1.75/1. I think it's going to be kinda light and stiff, thinking solid.

What would you buy for a radio? Gps encoding transmission recording or a $150 radio.

Crap day in the cuddly, all the flooring crap gone. Ceiling nuts over carpet next. I'll get v berth cushions and it won't be so bad. However vacuumed and everything nice and clean.

Wiring and dash next.. that's what I did ! So easy full rewire. Thinking battery's like a couple 31's sieres either side front side of engine compartment, behind the 2x6 beam. So fuel lines coming down the centre between battery's, bilge pumps between battery's and fuel tank.

So getting to fuel tank, I could buy 2 4x8 sheets and so do 90 gal us for $420 materials, $275 for 60 us.

No looking forward to hearing some opinions... really!

Also what are you all doing for saltwater and fresh water taps at the back of your boat. Expect to do hdpe clean table sloping to the back. Do you take your saltwater from the toilet in through hull or do you put an aft one in? Like it's only 12" from the **** out pipe right... wondering..

I put a tee on the intake for the toilet and am pulling from there for my raw water wash down. Saves another hole in the boat and besides the good brass thru hulls aren't cheap. I wouldn't run a nylon/plastic one.

I put a tee on the intake for the toilet and am pulling from there for my raw water wash down. Saves another hole in the boat and besides the good brass thru hulls aren't cheap. I wouldn't run a nylon/plastic one.
I prefer less holes, even thought of ditching toilet but there is no way I could do porta potty. I have 2 nice extra brass through hulls and I was planning on inspecting , cleaning and resetting. Was hoping to get away with no extra holes. Don't turn raw water on when someone taking a .... was thinking building thickness with more glass before resetting through hulls. Makes sense thanks for replying.

How much space do you have for a fuel tank. Bigger is better if the budget will stand it. Never had anyone say, I think I have too much gas coming back from a long trip.

What kind of fuel mileage do you expect from the optimax and how far do you expect to travel while fishing?

Oly

Hopefully moring below our place, closest place to buy fuel probably port renfrew without pulling out. Hopefully use kicker most of the time. I have 22 x 12 x as long as I want. I still have stand up area next to helm if i Go 8' long somewhere around 90 gallon. I guess the thought of going for tuna some day creeps into my mind. 5' 60 gal will be minimum, 8' goes about 90 gal for $140 more. 3' less of stand up room but it will be most benchnseat anyway with rear steering too.

How much space do you have for a fuel tank. Bigger is better if the budget will stand it. Never had anyone say, I think I have too much gas coming back from a long trip.

What kind of fuel mileage do you expect from the optimax and how far do you expect to travel while fishing?

Oly
I agree, bigger is better.

So sell the cb radio
Get rid of the anchor stuff up front
90 gallon tank
Ais, dsc radio
Prop ideas?

Just came back in from powering up the lowrance, gps, speed, temp all work. I assume depth does. Must have a decent internal battery, time and date correct. Might just go in to funnel more money to radio and gas tank.

I'm around French beach so even if I trailer it I will be putting in at Jordan river or port renfrew. Was hoping to burn most of my fuel on the kicker. 4 stroke kicker upgrade would be nice, just have a 15 hp rude 2 stroke.

Last edited:
So ais, I interpret the $400 ais receiver radios still need a transponder right? I kinda like the bigger stand alone on the icom https://www.westmarine.com/buy/icom--ma-500tr-class-b-ais-transceiver--12008173?recordNum=7, pair it with a compatible radio lookin say $1200? Transponder price plus radio and have to see stuff around you on a 7 cm screen. I know you can tie it into your multiple 10" screen plotters but...
Dsc radios have built in gps don't they? Seems like affordable sos!

a lowrance link 8 has ais and you just buy a combo ais/vhf antenna, then link via nmea 2000

So $400 radio cool, then you need cables transponder and gps unit for about another $1200 us? I think it's cool technology and all for it. That's all I'm asking. I think most of the time I wanna see shore. I want to be operating when I can see and it's nice out, I think in my situation the reason you want hp is to get home quick when it gets ugly out.
I think it's great if my radio has gps and can digitally send my emergency with coordinates. I sit on my lawn chair looking across to the Olympia mountains and see a few people anchoring for halibut and trolling for salmon. I don't think me hitting or me being hit is my. Biggest concern. I think it's cool though!

Hey Casper not seeing no link. Just want to make sure the $400 stuff has gps built in, not something that has to be added in.

Back