Run from Rupert across to Sandspit

2018 run and fee schedule out mid Nov. which might have an increase. So towing my boat I'm looking at somewhere in the $1975.00 + taxes return. Also, 8-9 hrs each way.

Making the run would definatly be more economical and timely but possibly not the smartest decision! Will need more info or require a last minute decision based on weather window and keep option #1 open to do the ferry if necessary.. Option #2: If all goes sideways, Fish Rupert!! Works either way and I'd be happy with that!!
You need to book the ferry couple of month in advance. We tried a month before our holidays and couldn't get a ferry. From banks island to sandspit is about 55 miles. Thought about staging there and running at night. I would only try if i did not have a deadline so I could pick my weather window
We have been out in hecate when it got rough
It's a slow go

Rupert to Masset about 2.5 to 4 hours. I wouldn't run at night due to logs and debris. I use Windy TY for weather found it very accurate here

Dark, you did make the run across, have I not read that you have fished the west side of Haida??

why do it for springs that average less than 20lb and halibut that at a size limit?

Sawbill, isn't it more typical to get into larger Springs out there? I can find big Springs staying to the mainland so I don't think I wouldn't chance that run acroos to catch 20# fish! But I am an explorer so who knows how it's going to go..

Dark, you did make the run across, have I not read that you have fished the west side of Haida??

Sawbill, isn't it more typical to get into larger Springs out there? I can find big Springs staying to the mainland so I don't think I wouldn't chance that run acroos to catch 20# fish! But I am an explorer so who knows how it's going to go..
Go to Masset or Rivers Inlet if you want big ones

I agree, the west side of the Gwaii is a great place to catch lots of 15-25# fish. We only had a handful of fish in the high 30's and into the 40's each year. As a guide over there in a 90 day season you were happy to break 40 each summer a couple times. 20 years ago it was very different however you will get great numbers. The trip is worth it for the adventure as there is nothing quite like the Gwaii. Masset the place for larger grade.....last 2 weeks of July.

Sorry for the confusion we have always taken the ferry but due to the high cost we have been tempted to cross in our own boat
We have been there twice with smaller boats than we have now.

I agree, the west side of the Gwaii is a great place to catch lots of 15-25# fish. We only had a handful of fish in the high 30's and into the 40's each year. As a guide over there in a 90 day season you were happy to break 40 each summer a couple times. 20 years ago it was very different however you will get great numbers. The trip is worth it for the adventure as there is nothing quite like the Gwaii. Masset the place for larger grade.....last 2 weeks of July.

Catch em before they come down the inside or stay on the outside. That could be a toss of the coin!

Sorry for the confusion we have always taken the ferry but due to the high cost we have been tempted to cross in our own boat
We have been there twice with smaller boats than we have now.

Dark,

All the shallow water and so far off shore on the east side could sure cause some issues in a hurry if the wind did come up, even slightly.. If you did decide to make the run when would you go?

Look into having your boat hostled on the ferry (Crew loads the boat onto the ferry). When you tow it on board yourself you pay oversize rates for the truck too. If you have it hostled you pay a small hostling fee, but you don't pay oversize rates for the truck.

Mike, not familiar with hostling. Sounds like a good option. Googled and found nothing.
And how does the boat get in the water on the other end?

RSCN5011.JPG

Try the old-fashioned way. Saves fuel. In touch with nature. Worked for centuries too.

Take care.

like, how much are we talking to go across on the ferry? Eight hour crossings in potential bad weather? night crossings?! no thanks! i'd rather have my pirate pack and then head down to the truck for a snooze as per usual

oops reread the thread. yeah $ 1975.00 is a lot of scratch. or you could view it this way: it's like going on a mini cruise, except you get to go fishing at the end!

Last edited:
View attachment 35761

Try the old-fashioned way. Saves fuel. In touch with nature. Worked for centuries too.

Take care.
Much simular to a lap strap boat I know fom the pool.Won't sink.Easy to bail.Able to beach and on rocky shores.Able to land a 60#fish with tiping the gunwal to water.If only Tom Hanks could have built one in castaway to cross the surf on the reef.

Go to Masset or Rivers Inlet if you want big ones
Exactly what he said.
Out of Masset the hog hunters mostly go west to the Naden harbour area and fish the grounds that QCL and Peregrine hit. Samson lodge used to be open and had affordable BYOB(oat) packages but I think they've closed a while ago.

Exactly what he said.
Out of Masset the hog hunters mostly go west to the Naden harbour area and fish the grounds that QCL and Peregrine hit. Samson lodge used to be open and had affordable BYOB(oat) packages but I think they've closed a while ago.

Samson Lodge permanently closed as per website.

That'd be a h&ll of a run across Dixon to North end of Haida also... Maybe not even as bad as running through Hecate, lots of wide open water!

Last edited:
mikep was a guide on the west side. Talked to a guy who guided 10 years for West Coast Resorts on the west side- got 3 over 50# in those 10 years. Iv'e been to Haida Gwaii 4 times & never experienced "lights-out" fishing. Chinook has been spotty the last couple years; don't think I'd make a trip like that til things get more consistent. I wouldn't do it unless i had time to wait out a 3 day blow. Things can get broken on a trip like that. 28 years ago when forecasts weren't as good one of several green waves over the top of my 24ft Searay washed-out the VHF going from Neah Bay to Ucluelet, a 55 mile run. You would think that you don't get a kick-butt storm with pea soup fog........I had to take the waves so slow that I got thrown 45 degrees off course on every wave; navigating on a 80's technology numeric LORAN. I have heard of Bayliners de-laminating making the same run.
Could go really good or could go really bad. $2K ferry is expensive, but if the sea is bad & you can't keep on plane you'll travel 55 miles in a straight direction & at least another 100 miles going up & down & your fuel usage will be 2-3 times "normal". Also when you look at wave data on the buoy's , realize that the rogues will be twice the size of average. 2016 the buoy logged 15 footers at Hippa; I was there.

Made one trip about 10 years ago dragging my 17.5 Hourston via Queen of the North. Scariest part of that journey was having to sleep in the truck cab in the Crest Hotel parking lot in Rupert. I had my two labs in the canopy and a bunch of stuff as well for my kids in Sandspit-- I had been told to be careful about the overnight stop before getting the QCI ferry, as a couple of perps were targeting vehicles left unattended. I slept for maybe 2 hrs! But after that-- a great experience. We stayed with our kids in Sandspit. Launched at the ferry slip at sandspit , and ran out Skidegate Narrows to the west coast. ( that run requires a bit of caution with the tides ) It was in June and I had fabulous fishing for springs in 40ft of water along the kelp beds and medium sized chicken halis towards Reynolds Sound. No matter how you get there-- its worth going. Beautiful Island and great people.

Back