Brown's Bay

D473C741-0432-41D3-94E1-140902CBE5B0.jpeg

Olde school is right, the fishing is slow.
Out 6 hours, went 2 for 4, they came on a double header. Howe island not long after the low.

Our luck is improving

Batting 500 now....*****, I don’t think the commies are doing we’ll either.

Did see a couple of chum at the dock as well as this nice 22# spring caught by this nice couple from Ladysmith...... on chum gear no less.

Attachments

• 4606743B-59D8-4388-8441-A651D1CF698C.jpeg
    4606743B-59D8-4388-8441-A651D1CF698C.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 161
Couldn't go in derby this year but was able to get up to Brown's Bay for a day yesterday (Friday). Beautiful as usual - sunny, although the wind stayed up all day. We fished Deep Water Bay hard and did manage 2 chum. Saw only one other fish caught all day. There was a good school at the lighthouse point and another up the shoreline from Deep Bay but not biting. Not the usual. We went deeper and caught the two at 85' and 115' on the usual pink hootchies. When we came in it looked like it was going to be a great event/party and well organized. Good luck to all entrants.

Couldn't go in derby this year but was able to get up to Brown's Bay for a day yesterday (Friday). Beautiful as usual - sunny, although the wind stayed up all day. We fished Deep Water Bay hard and did manage 2 chum. Saw only one other fish caught all day. There was a good school at the lighthouse point and another up the shoreline from Deep Bay but not biting. Not the usual. We went deeper and caught the two at 85' and 115' on the usual pink hootchies. When we came in it looked like it was going to be a great event/party and well organized. Good luck to all entrants.

yah the commercial netters did not fare well in johnston straight opening Oct 10-12. hopefully some slipped thru to you guys derby-ing

neighbour just told me out of 440-ish entrants, 186 chum were caught in two days. not good. they weren't in contention with their 8lb fish so they left before knowing derby winner / weight.

New post on The Ardent Angler
blavatar.png

by Jeremy Maynard
What a difference a year makes – twelve months ago salmon fishermen of all kinds were marveling at the size of the chum return to the inner south coast of BC but now, not so much. Before anyone gets too gloomy it should be said that there’s still plenty of time for the overall run-size in 2017 to increase substantially, and there’s signs of this occurring, but the first half of what might be termed “chum season” has left most fishermen underwhelmed.

Although there’s no formal forecast for chum salmon and despite the very large return in 2016 the pre-season signals for this year were for an average run-size at best, largely based on weaker than average survivals of other salmon species like pink and coho’s that went to sea in the same years (2014 & 2015) that would be contributing to this years chum return but have already returned (2015 &2016). This less optimistic outlook for the main fall run of chums this year was offset by the strong showing of the relatively less numerous south coast summer chum stocks, which were easily the most abundant in quite a few years. They show up in the sockeye test fisheries in upper Johnstone Strait and are assessed in a small number of rivers like the Orford and several in the Broughton Archipelago area. Already in the rivers for a month or more returns of these chum stocks have been larger than average, good news for the grizzly bears there.

For hook and line fishermen a factor compounding the consequences of a relatively low run size has been that for much of the 2017 chum season so far this has been a year when the these fish haven’t wanted to bite. Chums are a bit quirky this way but it has been an observed phenomenon over time and there’s little doubt that this is one of those years when the chums for reasons unknown simply don’t want to bite on gear that has been reliable in the past.
Not only does this affect angling success but also there are commercial trollers that target chums and usually the mass of flasher and pink hootchy rigs each boat can fish ensures a steady harvest, but not this year. Reading the first commercial catch report I thought there must have been a typo when it stated the catch for 13 boats over 14 days was 456 fish but apparently it was correct, the chums had a bad case of lockjaw!

Knowing that I didn’t feel so bad about my own lack of success – shared by everyone else I saw on the water – during the couple of times I fished on the Thanksgiving weekend, usually about the peak of the run-timing and a fairly certain bet for productive fishing. All I can say is that there seems to be some evidence that this condition is easing and I had slightly better success on my most recent trip (October 14), boating five chums even though there was little sign of chums moving through during the time I was on the water. In many previous years that would have been considered a mediocre catch but this year a handful of chums in the boat is something to feel good about! In addition we caught a mid-teens chinook, part of a double-header, and released one large wild coho.

Fall-mixed-double-header-e1508109720779-1024x768.jpg

An unusual mid-October double header.

I’ll say one thing about these particular chums, all of them were in silver bright A+ condition. This gives me hope that the run and the state of maturity of the fish are later than usual, likely driven by the dry fall so far. Homing salmon can be very sensitive to atmospheric pressure and with the sustained dry weather they might have been in no hurry to migrate out of the open ocean. Now that the weather has changed, with the more customary low-pressure system dominating the fall weather forecast for the next while at least, the rivers should rise to provide ideal conditions for holding salmon to migrate into freshwater and get on with spawning season in earnest. I just hope we don’t get too much rain as we did last fall!

There are signs of this delay elsewhere – I started back on the fall crew at Quinsam hatchery last week only to find that the large egg-takes from pink salmon were still underway, weeks later than usual. By the time I start back to work there the large production egg-takes are normally long since completed and every few years I might get to take part in a small “mop-up” egg-take on my first day or two back. Not this year, the pink salmon have been very slow to mature and even now, in mid-October, there are still plenty of “green” fish well shy of suitable maturity from which to take eggs and milt. The final production pink salmon egg-take for 2017 is scheduled for October 16th, easily the latest on record at this 40+ year old facility. The good news is that after a slow start the run-size estimate in the Quinsam River has now exceeded 100,000 pink salmon (and still counting), plenty to seed all the available river habitat.

Another surprise has been the number of coho encountered in the first few days of fishing for chinook broodstock, which is accomplished by a 7-8-person crew using a beach seine net in the lower river. Like other anglers and guides I’ve been concerned by the low numbers of coho encountered while fishing near Campbell River in the saltwater this past late summer and early fall period. In contrast there have been reports of highly productive coho fishing in Juan de Fuca Strait around the bottom end of Vancouver Island so perhaps fish are migrating inside mostly via the southern route, I sure hope so.

Anyway, with the arrival of some rain fall now feels like it’s underway and everything that goes with it in these parts, including the most important part of the lives of salmon, successful spawning and the start of a new generation.

Jeremy Maynard | October 15, 2017 at 11:26 pm |

b.gif

17.5lbs took top prize, 16 took 3rd. Was a grind for tight lipped fish but the water was nice at least. Sounded like bruce had fun anyways.

Was fun time for 2 chum virgins we were shaking our heads at what we were doing wrong fish on the sounder fish in the air no fish on the line asked a couple other boats what was the key and we already had it lol
Did end up wit 2 on sat 1 on Sunday 13.5 was the big 1
Unfortunately couldn't stay for the awards n such had to get back to Victoria
Thanks for a fun weekend!!!!

Was fun time for 2 chum virgins we were shaking our heads at what we were doing wrong fish on the sounder fish in the air no fish on the line asked a couple other boats what was the key and we already had it lol
Did end up wit 2 on sat 1 on Sunday 13.5 was the big 1
Unfortunately couldn't stay for the awards n such had to get back to Victoria
Thanks for a fun weekend!!!!
Well done Yukoner. How deep were your downriggers?

A really fun event for those of you just wanting to have a casual day fishing. We went 5 for 9 on Saturday and 6 for 11 on Sunday. We found the fish deeper 70-110' and they seemed to like the light blue and pink gear the best although we have a few on pink and black and one on straight pink. Green and silver Hotspots were the ticket, really clear water. Troll really slow and pop it in and out of gear once in a while.

They were in reasonable condition and were showing not bad on Sunday with finner bunches along the beach and jumpers out in the middle on the flood. We had most of our action on the flood.

I think they are late and next weekend might be ok. I think the Seines fished today and if so it will take a few days for the system to recharge.

Thanks to Jeremy Maynard for your chum articles last year as it helped us a lot.

Thanks for all the info sharing here, Were heading up Wednesday for the day, look for two wet guys in a 17ft Whaler...lol

Looking to the weekend, can anyone provide some recent intel?
Thanks in advance.

Back