2017 Nanaimo Reports

Went out tonight ... big waves by the time to got out there ... went to lower by gear and noticed my down riggers were missing ... very upsetting stolen from my own back yard ... feel violated.
Frustrating to hear. Let's keep an eye open for cheap online sale, without receipt, mounting brackets or hardware. We might be able to relocate them.

That would be helpful ... it was a scam I belive at breakon boat launch. Two crusty ladies ( one bleach blond and the other dark short hair in there 50s ) saying they were fisherman approached me wanting to take a picture of my catch last Monday night. My neighbours said the next day two ladies matching there description were at my house in my boat ... (how the hell did they know where I lived) they spun some story that they were looking for some eye glasses. Next day my riggers were gone. ( my neighbour didn't tell me about the incident till I reported they were stolen. )

Probably followed you home from the boat launch and watched your place till they saw no one home.
Rotten bastards!

I'd bet they try and pull it again. If anyone sees them at the launch, snap a pic Of The licence plate for the cops.

My friend got his pair of downriggers stolen from his driveway this weekend. I always take mine out of the boat and store them in the garage. My neighbor doesn't so I told him they would be gone soon if he doesn't take them in.
Please do the same and tell fellow boat owners.

On a fishing note, on Friday I got an 8 lbs spring at 75 ft and on Saturday, we got a 11lb coho at 65 ft on anchovies, both near Fingers. Then a huge one cut my line. I could see teeth marks near the cut. I use 30lbs mono as leader. What do you guys use to avoid loosing fish that way?

Beauty night to be out last night. Lots of shakers. Fished deep and in tight to fingers. Beer was cold.

Attachments

• IMAG0774.jpg
    IMAG0774.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 41
What disrespect of the resource. Learn proper fish identification and handling skills before you go fishing again.
Do we have to treat people like dip ***** when they make a mistake? SpringVelocity nicely pointed out the problem and being3 acknowledged the mistake..
I dont think having two followup posts saying Ya, dont ever go fishing until you are always 100% certain of your fish ID skills is helpful to him or the forum.

It's people's responsibility to do their best to know the rules and respect the resource. Forums like this are a learning tool for new fisherman so poor fish handling has to be addressed. I agree that misidentifying a fish is a mistake however it's pretty hard to ignore a picture of a wild coho with torn up scales hanging from a scale by its gills. If you're in doubt, get a catch & release net and ID it in the water at the side of the boat.

Last edited:
It's people's responsibility to do their best to know the rules and respect the resource. Forums like this are a learning tool for new fisherman so poor fish handling has to be addressed. I agree that misidentifying a fish is a mistake however it's pretty hard to ignore a picture of a wild coho with torn up scales hanging from a scale by its gills. If you're in doubt, get a catch & release net and ID it in the water at the side of the boat.
I agree, but we should do the educating with respect

Stopped in departure bay last night and saw some pinks finning and a few jumpers. Was about to grab the fly rod from behind the seat when one guy waded into the middle of the pool for some reason to cast all around, his buddy waded though it twice to cast from each side while three other fellas threw jigs all around them. I don't think I would have the patience to deal with them yesterday.

Stopped in departure bay last night and saw some pinks finning and a few jumpers. Was about to grab the fly rod from behind the seat when one guy waded into the middle of the pool for some reason to cast all around, his buddy waded though it twice to cast from each side while three other fellas threw jigs all around them. I don't think I would have the patience to deal with them yesterday.
Some levels of stupid are just unrepairable.........

They are not stupid, just bigenners. Talk to them and teach them a better way. They will understand.
Do not assume and categorize people when you don't know them.
Communication is the key to resolve most problems.

Back