Double Eagle Restoration

I guess that makes sense in theory but ablative paint will only fall off if it is abraded by something ie a moving boat on water. If you bottom painted a boat and let it sit on a trailer for 10 years the paint wouldn't fall off. If you left it in the water for 10 years and didn't use it the boat would be full of growth but the bottom paint would still be there. My point is I don't follow how the paint between the pod and the transom will come off.

Thank you Salmonkiller. That makes perfect sense. Not sure why I forgot about the copper in bottom coat. It been a primary ingredient forever. Time to get sanding.

Last edited:
Dropped the boat off Tuesday morning and picked it up last night. Can't say enough good things about this guy. If your looking for a pod Give Devon a shout (250)884-4524. Quality workmanship, quick turn around, and great prices. I was really impressed with his willingness to listen to us and create something that suited our needs.

Super happy to hear that - I have been planning on taking my essentially identical boat to him as soon as I can get my winter planned out. Really liked the looks of some of his other projects.

Post all possible pictures! I probably need the exact same thing.

In fact...I wonder if he'd be able to do one without having my boat on site now? Half the issue for me is just getting the boat there and back. I was supposed to relocate to the island this fall but now it looks like it's on hold for a bit and I'm not super excited about tacking a 2-way ferry bill onto the cost. Particularly since it's going to be three feet longer on the way back!

Super happy to hear that - I have been planning on taking my essentially identical boat to him as soon as I can get my winter planned out. Really liked the looks of some of his other projects.

Post all possible pictures! I probably need the exact same thing.

In fact...I wonder if he'd be able to do one without having my boat on site now? Half the issue for me is just getting the boat there and back. I was supposed to relocate to the island this fall but now it looks like it's on hold for a bit and I'm not super excited about tacking a 2-way ferry bill onto the cost. Particularly since it's going to be three feet longer on the way back!
that is one of the reasons i made my own

that is one of the reasons i made my own
Man, I WISH I had the skill to do that with aluminum. I could probably hack weld carbon steel into the right shape...and maybe get the welds to hold together on a calm day.

Is there much of a market for oxy welded carbon steel pods with welds that'd pass X-ray 50% of the time? Because I could really be the go-to guy for that.

I will post some pictures. I tried earlier but I'm having trouble with the picture orientation. We spent all day working on the boat but I'll get some new photos up soon.

Looking good,I noticed you have the zinc mounted on the side,wasn't the the raised piece on the back of the pod meant for the zinc? Or do you plan on mounting your transducer there?

Looking good,I noticed you have the zinc mounted on the side,wasn't the the raised piece on the back of the pod meant for the zinc? Or do you plan on mounting your transducer there?
Thanks! Its slowly coming along! and thats where we are planning on mounting the transducer

I have started down this path. I found myself a 1981 Double Eagle 20’6” in ok shape. Hull is perfect as well as the top cap. The floor however was rotten but I knew that going in. I have started the gutting process and know know why Double eagle has such a good name. It is built like a brick sh*# house. I rebuilt a Campion a couple years ago and it was no where near the build quality.

Attachments

• 55A1444A-5338-46A5-B6BC-D0E471F1A5C2.jpeg
    55A1444A-5338-46A5-B6BC-D0E471F1A5C2.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 100
You never thought to powder coat it to match the hull so it looks like it came with the boat from factory? Cheap to do when you have new metal. If you ever need parts for the 200 Yami..I have plenty.

Hey Brian, looks nice and clean and in good shape it should be a great build for you, pls keep us posted of progress with pictures :) Congrats!

Back