Fished 8-9. 550 ft off Secretary. Hubby's rig caught both unclipped, clean 6 lb females. 100ft, bloody nose anchovy, so we pulled the plug just before the fog moved in. Fun!! Xena

Time to trailer out to Sooke! We still have the draconian 2 clipped in area 19 and 20. I'm sure there's a scientific reason??? Would be nice to know waist it is?

My read of the latest update to restriction here http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s19-eng.html shows wild coho daily limit of 1 piece. That table at the top of the salmon tab says wild coho 0/0/0 - daily/possession/annual - for both areas 19 and 20. The restrictions show DFO is permitting some wild coho retention. Not the 2 you may keep per day in 20-5, but a lot less fuel.

Happy to be corrected if I'm reading that wrong, but I don't think so.

I think if you look at the table it's 0 wild and 2 hatchery. At least that's how I read it.

Just looked further down and now I see in 19 it's 1

Last edited:
Fished Beechy Head today in the fog, picked up 4 coho. 3 hatchery and 1 nice wild about 10 lbs, lost another nice one as well. Had two doubleheaders which is always fun. Got them on a cop car coho killer and a green skinny G anywhere from 63 to 75 feet. Caught a few small springs we released as well.

Guess people cant read what SV said after I phoned DFO.
So I say phone DFO and get the same answer...
btw there lots of fish out there..

Good luck wolf
Yup, now we know the regs for area 20. Funny though when they are so confusing that even you, a professional had to call DFO for clarification? Would seem to be a lot simpler if they did a better job of publishing the regs in the first place? Unless of course they enjoy phone calls.

Fished out deep off the head for coho today It was on and off all day long. We got our limit of coho 5 -13 lbs
70- 100ft mostly on white hootchie and purple haze flasher . as well as the arsenal of bait, spoons, and colour variations. Several Big pin popping hits that didnt stick and a screamer fish that shook the hook as the flasher broke the surface. It would have been nice to at least get a peek at a couple of those fish.
I will give it another go Thanksgiving weekend.

upload_2017-10-1_23-9-28.jpeg
This was the 13lb coho. Check out the size of the bait that was in her stomach.

Just wanted to be ABSOLUTELY sure what they were when I have clients on boat as I have to make sure...
Alot out there dont give a ****....seen one boat bring in everything he got , didnt even take the time to identify fish on fish came on boat and BONK.
Then see at cleaning station guy filleting about 5 fish no tail no fins no scales, Told him are you aware you cant filet these fish and you have to leave the hatch mark and tail if you so choose to ...His REPLY this is how i was taught !!!! guys about 65 years old too btw. plitly said why you cant and beside cleaning station is a paper that shows you what your allowed to do. he basically told me to beat it .... its not hard to follow what dfo wants...

We were out for the Coho opening yesterday from 10:00 to 1:00. We kept two nice clipped ones and two unmarked ones to 11.5 lbs. all on plastic fished slower as we were also trying for Chum. Nice day with some rollers off shore but calmed right down to glass when we came in. Turned the drag down to almost off and had fun playing them especially the double header pin poppers. Heard an unexpected sound and looked up to see a Humpback whale tail going down on a deep dive about 150 feet away in the fog while we were playing a Ho. Last time we were out the Ho’s were high (0 to 35 feet) but yesterday they were deep to begin with (100 to 130) feet and they moved up to 70 feet by mid day. For us the most productive water column was 500 feet.

Last edited:
Started fishing at 9:00am today, out in 450’ of water off the Bluffs. What a contrast to Friday and the week before!! Nothing at all for the first hour but our boredom was relieved by the sight of a humpback breaching about 1.5K away. Very impressive and spectacular even at that distance. Never seen that before off Sooke.

Finally got a hit at 82’ on green/white hootchie around 10:00am and brought in very nice 9lb unclipped. I thought, here we go at last….but it was not to be. Absolutely nothing more for over 2 hours, despite trying several depths and various UV and glo hootchies, and also trolling in and out between 350' and 550' of water. After lunch put on a little herring in a t/head as a last resort and within 10 minutes got our second hit at 78’ and brought in smaller 5lb unclipped. Had one more hit on herring but missed it and maybe had a couple quick pulls on a UV hootchie at 100’. Could have been weed though as big clumps of eelgrass were floating around. Came in at 2:30pm.

It got lumpy at around 10:30am with big rollers from the west and a light easterly breeze, but not too bad overall.

Covered a lot of territory between 9-3 today from off Beechy to Secretary then moved to off Church to Race Rocks. Finished with a couple passes around Bedfords. All depths and a pile of different combos but very little action. Got one small unclipped, let another unclipped go hoping for bigger 2nd wild that never came. Pretty slow compared to last week. The Humpbacks seemed to be everywhere. Either there was a number of them out there or a couple whales can cover a lot of territory.

Fished 9-4 today from Pedder bay, Race and Church. Different depths and combination of flasher, bait and spoons. No Coho,,but released 5 tiny and I do mean tiny springs, 3 of which were clipped.

Out yesterday 8-12. 6 clipped coho between 5-8 lbs all on coho killers around 60ft in 350ft between bluffs and trailer park. Last week all we could hook was wilds, go figure. There was some big bait in 2 of the fish so I will try some bigger spoons next trip.

Out yesterday 8-12. 6 clipped coho between 5-8 lbs all on coho killers around 60ft in 350ft between bluffs and trailer park. Last week all we could hook was wilds, go figure. There was some big bait in 2 of the fish so I will try some bigger spoons next trip.
Jama, we were the opposite of you. At the end of September (we fished 22 and 29) we could only find clipped and there seemed to be lots of them, which was great. Yesterday we could only find two and they were both unclipped. (see previous reports). It is weird and I sometimes think the clipped and unclipped run in packs, almost as though they were separate species. Probably they are "runs" which band together, which in the case of hatchery fish, are siblings from the same hatchery headed back to the same hatchery location, together.

The morning ebb was a bust but once the flood started after noon there were a few fish caught. (Only 1 by us tho.)
T2

Out this morning from 7am to 11am off the bluffs. kept 3 wild and 1 hatch released 5 wild. All 60-70 ft in 560ft plus of water. Seemed the further out the better it was. All on anchovy.

Jama, we were the opposite of you. At the end of September (we fished 22 and 29) we could only find clipped and there seemed to be lots of them, which was great. Yesterday we could only find two and they were both unclipped. (see previous reports). It is weird and I sometimes think the clipped and unclipped run in packs, almost as though they were separate species. Probably they are "runs" which band together, which in the case of hatchery fish, are siblings from the same hatchery headed back to the same hatchery location, together.
We hit the first 1 marked the spot and just worked the same area. I would guess we just hit a school of hatchery. Same as the days we get mostly wild. Troll out from 300 until we get a hit and do figure 8's and see if we get more or move on. Going to miss the derby this weekend due to work but good luck to everyone. Also had a humpback surface out of no where about 50ft behind the boat on Monday. That sure got the adrenaline pumping!

Out yesterday afternoon kept 2 hatchery's and 2 wilds and a nice bright chum, released a few wilds. Snagged a nice one by the tail that took a while to get in . Anchovies, hootchies and one on a fly rod with a spoon. Next trip going to try black magic ( just a black hook with a silver swivel) and some butterfly inserts in hottchies with no flasher.

Back