Somebody Ratted Me Out So I Had To Accept....

Dave H

This nice little plaque from the City of Campbell River at the Haig-Brown Festival at the Haig-Brown House yesterday.

RSCN5142.JPG

I was both honored and humbled because nobody ever gets an award for what they've done by themselves and there have been so many people that have a piece of this award that it was humbling to have been selected for it.

Great day as there was a dedication by Parks Canada and the Federal Government of a plaque honoring Roderick Haig-Brown as a Canadian of special note.
RSCN5133.JPG

All the Haig-Brown daughters were there so it was really nice for me to see them again. I spent many an hour at meetings in the Haig-Brown House library in the late 90's and early 2000's serving as Secretary-Treasurer of the Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society, a group formed originally to attempt to fulfil Haig-Brown's dream of seeing Kingfisher Creek daylighted again. In 1963 I was the 18 year old skinny kid who carried the concrete blocks to the masons who built the concrete tunnel that covered the lower reaches of the creek. 35 years later I was helping create a new one. Here's the Haig-Brown sisters during the dedication.

DSCN5126.JPG

L-R......Mary, Valerie and Celia. I remember Celia when she was a cute long-haired hippy-type young woman many moons ago. I might have had a bit of a crush on her one time. LOL

Finally, and the main reason several of my old buddies didn't attend, I WAS asked to say a few words. Here's Stacey Larsen adjusting the mic for me. We're not the same height.

RSCN5135.JPG

I must confess I don't know who nominated me for this honor and when I received the call about it I thought maybe it was a consolation award in conservation because for four years in a row now I haven't done any damage to the Tyee population, but it turned out to be bona-fide.
Receiving it on the Haig-Brown property in the company of the Haig-Brown family (save Alan) for being involved with and contributing to the manifestation of Haig-Brown's dream was a special thing for me so please forgive me for blowing my own horn here just a bit.

I should note that my efforts in the Steelhead Society during the 90's were mentioned as was my annual thread called Tales From The Tyee Pool and this website.

And thanks to everyone who I've worked with during the past 27 years I've been active here in Campbell River. This award is shared with you all.

And now I shall return to my life of dissipation and debauchery until adventure calls again.

Take care.

That's awesome Dave. It's great seeing you recognized for some of the amazing work you have done and are doing. As far as the tyee conservation, don't get used to that. This was your last year conserving. Next year you're going to be on fire.

Oly

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Much appreciated.

I've always felt fortunate that I've met so many truly neat people during my active times with both the SSBC and the Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society which is why I feel both honored for the recognition but truly humbled also, knowing how many others contributed along the way.

I thank them all and they all know who they are.

Hoping for some real rain soon now.

Take care.

Back