2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Regarding the AP spoons, they're probably not the best choice to have out one side of the boat when fishing anchovies out the other side. Have you watched Andrew's speed when he's fishing? I have. I'll bet he's going 15 to 20% faster than I am when fishing bait. That's likely your answer. :)

Spent the evening out on Constance bank and then finished up on the waterfront. Tried to line up the solunar bite and got completely snubbed. All in all it was a nice time in the water with the fam, but a fish or two, ok maybe even just a few bites would have made it that much sweeter.

Wicked awesome morning on the water. Made the long trip out to go work the border south east of race rocks and man did it pay off. 15 min after putting the lines down and the bite was on. Hauled up 4 coho one of which jumped on the line before I could even get the rod back in the holder after dropping to depth. They're out in the deep water. Was in almost 600' of water running 110' on the rigger. As all my catch were wild they went back in to be caught later, but our day wrapped up with a nice pink for the BBQ and then a few dungeoness and a red rock. Such a nice change compared to Wednesday.

Heading out tomorrow, any reports from today? Lotsa trailers at esq Anglers. Coho out deep? Anything?

Tried everywhere today and finally when I called it quits a started bringing up gear I happen to notice that my anchovies doubled on one line.... well there was a little coho trying to impersonate one anyway. He was more then happy to be sent back to the deep blue. Totally dead today other wise. Weather was pretty crappy too. Next to no visibility in the straits and lumpy too.

Ok, thanks fellas. Gonna give it a go anyway. My brother and I share a birthday and tomorrow's that day. If anything we'll have a few laughs while giving it a whirl. :D

There are nice coho out on the tidelines toward the yellow can. Gave it tw0 hours on saturday and sunday with my boys. We released a few very nice wild coho including one really big mid teen male and about a 10lb female. Couldn't find a hatchery marked one though. 3-4" spoons at 70-100' was working.AP.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out yesterday from 7-12 only had 3 undersize springs. Tried along the waterfront and out between Albert head and the can.

Foiled by rain. One of the hazards of fishing in an open boat plus we just didn't feel like being out in that. We two brothers are getting soft in our advanced years. Lol

No report today. Going for lunch to a nice, warm, dry restaurant instead.

Regarding the AP spoons, they're probably not the best choice to have out one side of the boat when fishing anchovies out the other side. Have you watched Andrew's speed when he's fishing? I have. I'll bet he's going 15 to 20% faster than I am when fishing bait. That's likely your answer. :)

You can lengthen your bait leaders to 7 ft if you want to fish faster, that seems to work for me.

I fish AP spoons with 5' leader on one side and bait on the other with 7'. AP usually wins but some days bait wins. If one gets 2 legitimate hits or springs, I switch both sides to that presentation.

Fished 8am to 1pm today. Waterfront and Albert Head. Kept a 5lb spring. 7oft on DR, 45m depth halfway between the breakwater and Albert Head. Green flasher and spoon. Tried bait, spoons and hoochies at various depths but that was the only hit we had. Nice day on the water though.

Out to Constance yesterday - 4 hatchery springs and 0 coho. Nice flat sunny day and no problems with snuffy. Lots of bait around, but all of the fish had empty stomachs. Green coho killers at 80 ft on the downrigger worked best.

Anybody catching fish off Victoria lately? Do the coho make it down this far at this time of year, any springs in close? I'm wanting to head out in the am and catch some fish without driving to Sooke.
I've got my green skinny's, cop car's & hoochie's ready to get bit and my baits been on the brine for a few days. So far it looks like I'm solo so room for one if there's any takers.

Went out Tuesday solo 10-4pm off the waterfront. Landed a scrappy 9lb male wild Coho at noon near green can on anchovies in that same tiger head that's been doing great for me. Had my 2nd bite at 3;30 off the end of the breakwater that peeled line and jumped 3 times before spitting the hook in front of a bunch of people standing at the end of the breakwater. Full pull of crabs again. What a great day in the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 58
Back