2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Fished the humps from 1000 to 1300, was good through tide. 602 uv and a 212 plugs for gear. Killed a high teen, released 3 legals, 3 under and lost 2. Down between 190 and 220 in 190 to 250 of water.

Ran back over to Bjerre on the coast and boxed another mid teen. 602 uv. Couldn't stand the heat, anymore so I came in.

Fished out front this morning, bonked a couple of high teeners. Small cop car spoons worked for me. Got too hot so came in by noon

Headed up out around 4 today and had some action through out the evening, lost a couple, one undersize. At 7 or so was when the bite came on for me on the inside of the humps in 180' of water. 1st spring took a 6" 2ii plug right on the bottom, decent little scrap. Near the surface I got sealed and spent the next 10min fighting the bugger as everyone trolled around me...some yelling encouragement but prolly a few laughing too as I'm sure it looked hilarious. As I'm starting to win the battle my other rod goes off while I'm in neutral, I'm fishing solo, it pops the pin so I just loosened the drag as I'm trying to hit this one eyed seal (looked like he took a hook in the eye) off the spring with the net. Ended up getting both of them in the boat somehow...just 12&13lbs but it was a good time! After that battle I head out out of the way of everyone to go bleed the fish, just finishing up and started my motor, not quite on plane and I look behind me to see a full size female killer whale with two calfs right behind me within 20'...dorsal fin slicing the water headed right toward the back of the old Hourston...scared the **** out of me as i didn't even hear them surface. Awesome night.

Out yesterday during the day out front of F.C. after lunch around White Door area.

Got a 12lb Chin and a 6 lb Pink. Had one on that broke my leader. (30lb test). Caught a few "near legals" ( released). Lots of drive-by hits.

All in shallower water inshore 130ft deep or less. Lure depth 30ft to 130ft.

Tried plugs deep at Humps....nada.

Switched to rubber. Ran Baitrix strip for the rest of the day behind Purple /Gold flashers. Worked . Clear head in pic worked best.

Mixed up a paste of anchovy oil and crushed pulped anchovy and smeared that on the strip before it went in, for added attraction.

Nice day. Calm.No wind. Smoke haze kept the temperature down to comfortable.

durabait strip.jpg

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Last edited:
So a few Atlantic Salmon came in today. Buddy put one in the freezer for St Jeans to be smoked at the store!!

Went to lil q yesterday Am first light, used anchovies till we ran out from all the shakers
got a mid teen on ol faithful spatter back hooch on the bottom in 180ft.

Not alot in tight found most our hits in 160-240
rough ride back when **** hit the fan and the wind picked up

limited off the little Q this AM. 12, 15,15.5 and 18.5. 3 on anchovies and the other on a pink squirt. lost one other nice spring and released a mature jack spring, and a nasty looking pink. oddly the biggest spring was a bright silver white spring, with nice thick belly walls! made me wonder what might be swimming by on the way to the Fraser right now...

We were also able to pick up our limit off the river yesterday am. 12, 16, 21, and 24. All anchovies and pink squirt as well. Fish were super dark, last spring trip for me this year, its been a good one. Then went and played catch and release with close to 30 wild coho off French creek, in tight to the beach. Could not find a hatchery fish in the mix! Good to see so many around though. Also a beauty sun rise with a spectacular humpback show on our way down to the river. Can't complain about days like that in mid september

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_165424_742.jpg
    IMG_20170916_165424_742.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 136
Good to hear and see that there are still some slabs swimming around. Nicely done you guys. Hope they open the wild coho one day for short periods around here with numbers climbing.

We were also able to pick up our limit off the river yesterday am. 12, 16, 21, and 24. All anchovies and pink squirt as well. Fish were super dark, last spring trip for me this year, its been a good one. Then went and played catch and release with close to 30 wild coho off French creek, in tight to the beach. Could not find a hatchery fish in the mix! Good to see so many around though. Also a beauty sun rise with a spectacular humpback show on our way down to the river. Can't complain about days like that in mid september
Went out solo this morning. Only boat in sight at Little Q and found every West Coast weather pattern. Played 2 great springs - landed one/lost one. Both on small cop car. Ran through bait on shakers only. 85' on rigger in 85' on sounder.

150 feet green and white spatter back with brand new purple haze flasher. Spoon on Bushys side had a few hits but the hootchy definitely had more action.................BRS

Had good luck tonite, landed a 19&20 both down deep, 230'&220' on the rigger in around 260' off the big hump. One on a 6" 2ii tubby plug and the other on a 5" 2ii. View attachment 35246 Released one undersize and a few dogs in the mix as well. Got both between 5&7pm. Great night.

Nice fish

Can i ask where you bought those plugs from @Ryan A Thanks!

Back