Alouette Lake Kokanee

Jeffzee

Taking my nephew to Alouette Lake tomorrow, hoping to hook some Kokanee. Anyone been lately? I was there mid June and caught a few. Ill stick to the same setups i guess, not sure if this heat has any effect on them tho?

A few are starting to show some colour. They are getting down a ways. Most action at 30-40ft on the riggers. Early morning and dusk might find them near the surface. Good luck. Haven't been for two weeks, but that was the ticket last time.

Last time i was there i just used a wedding band behind a willow leaf and about 100 pulls of line, didnt bother with riggers. Do you think ill need to get my gear deeper?
Thanks!

Early and late in the day MAYBE not. But generally, my approach is to troll around until I start marking them at a certain depth, then adjust to their level. Mid June was still cool. Water temp is in the 20's now.

I would say to increase your likelihood for a productive time on the water is to have a downrigger, lead core and/or jet divers of some sort.

And brine up some deli shrimp. Out fishes worms there, substantially, in my experience.

Well we caught a couple, one about 50 on the rigger using a small dodger and pink apex, and one just trolling 100 pulls on a willow leaf and wedding band. Great day on the water! Nephew loved driving the boat :)

I got 6 on Saturday on the red wedding bands baited with cured deli shrimp with a 1/2 ounce and 70 pulls.

Last edited:
I decided to try Chilliwack Lake this weekend looking to duplicate my success at Alouette, NOPE.

Aside from some sporadic rainbows (3 to the boat after 10 hours of fishing, yikes). No kokanee. Marked some school which I beleive were kokes, but couldn't must a bite. The hits we had weren't related to any sort of structure, or when marking fish. Just bites out of 'nowhere'. Frustrating.

Saw lots of sockeye at the north end but left them alone.

Will try Alouette again this week after work or try Stave.

Was out for a couple hours yesterday, lake is WAY down as they let a bunch out. A bit harder to launch as the dock is high and dry.

Action was sporadic until we found an area with active fish. Didn't mark many schools. Couple of kokanee, couple of trout and a few pike minnow.

Slow overall and a bit different experience as many areas I fish were much different given how far the water is down. Lost a jet diver a couple lures on some stumps and forgot my net. C'est la vie.

Bought a new Helix5 G2 Down Imaging + GPS but didn't spend much time getting it dialed in. Managed to use an my old Humminbird portable kit which has a battery, carry case + suction cup transducer mount which worked like a charm. Took the old screen out, plugged in the Helix and away I went. No holes, no running wires to the boat battery etc. And I can move it to my tinny when I hit the smaller lakes.

Wind and rain kicked up at times which made things less than ideal. When there was some calm spots in the weather, I managed to run the new to me boat out. Got it to 46.8MPH. Felt there is a bit more to give but the 4 blade prop isn't ideal for top end and put me at max RPM.

Always fun to be on the lake, but I think I might be just about done for the year. Might try Stave before the cold chases me off for good until Spring.

Hit Alouette yesterday. It was a beauty day on the water, compared to last weekend when we got blown off after barely wetting a line. Further hampered by a stuck bilge pump and wood jammed in the prop. Was not fun out there.

Not much action though. Chased them on the sounder working the gear from 20-110ft on the riggers. As well as trying close to the surface.

Only one fish to the boat, a nice 2lb cuttie in an area I haven't worked all that much. The usual spots didn't produce. Water temps were 7- 7.2 degrees. No kokes to be found.

2-3 other brave souls out there, didn't see any nets out. But one guy stayed in the same area (17-18' Smokercraft) for quite a while, so he was either on'm or lazy, lol. Other guy seemed to be ripping around from spot to spot in a new ~17' Legend.

Good to be on the water without wind and rain in December. Actual little spurts of blue sky in the mix as well.

Hit Alouette yesterday. It was a beauty day on the water, compared to last weekend when we got blown off after barely wetting a line. Further hampered by a stuck bilge pump and wood jammed in the prop. Was not fun out there.

Not much action though. Chased them on the sounder working the gear from 20-110ft on the riggers. As well as trying close to the surface.

Only one fish to the boat, a nice 2lb cuttie in an area I haven't worked all that much. The usual spots didn't produce. Water temps were 7- 7.2 degrees. No kokes to be found.

2-3 other brave souls out there, didn't see any nets out. But one guy stayed in the same area (17-18' Smokercraft) for quite a while, so he was either on'm or lazy, lol. Other guy seemed to be ripping around from spot to spot in a new ~17' Legend.

Good to be on the water without wind and rain in December. Actual little spurts of blue sky in the mix as well.

a 2 pound cuttie! that sure to make anyones day! my boats asleep for the season so i am totally jealous great work

No congrats needed on that one. ~6 hours, one fish! yikes. But not a bad day when its not windy, nor cold.

I don't put my boat to bed anymore. Heading out again on the weekend. I'm a sucker and just love being on the water. I might change my tune from Jan->March though...lol

Kokanee like the 45F to 54F range, closer to 54 being best. The trout should still be moving around a bit, and the bulls don't seem to mind the cold (if you can find any).

I'll be out tomorrow in a friends "off white" 16' Campion. Too nice to not get out, even just to shake the cobwebs off the motors. Pick a VHF and let me know what # you'll be on, if either of us can get a pattern figured out we should communicate.

We'll be out next weekend in my red Glastron. Again, more of a boat shakedown, but we'll be wetting lines both days for sure. Its too sunny to miss out, even if it is a bit cold. I love being out on an empty lake, fish or not. Especially if the wind stays down.

Back