2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I picked up a pink last weekend off the waterfront that was completely loaded with sea lice. More than I've ever seen on a single fish. It was totally disgusting. I guess it must have passed by a farm on its route, because this was not natural.

Fished the waterfront again today from 7 to 11am. Got another wild coho about 8lbs. That is 4 wilds in 4 days, where are the hatchery fish?
Wondering now if that was a pink with the spots on the tail? any thoughts.

Haha, I had a VERY similar fish up in Pender I put back cos I wasn't sure if it was a coho or a pink. Had the spots of a pink on the tail, whitish gums and lots and lots of tiny teeth - way more than the usual pink I've seen. Did yours have that? Wondering if it was starting to go freshwater mode?

Did not notice teeth. White gums and adipose fun and back in the water it went. Lip hooked and swam away nicely.

Fished 7-9 a.m. green can to breakwater. One hit, one 12# spring at 44' on an anchovies.
Stosh

Late report... out Thursday and Friday evenings at Connie. Got our 4 Chinook both nights, anchovies on the bottom for 6 of them, 2 more on koho killers.

Roughed out the slop, crap in the water and rain out front this morning. Didn't get a sniff. Honestly, the amount of junk in the water makes me wonder how much fishing the gear is actually doing. Every time I checked the gear there was junk on it. Frustrating. I was out with my oldest son; it's his birthday today, and we couldn't get out to Constance so we just did our best at the waterfront.

I'm in Victoria visiting family. They want me to take them fishing but I usually fish north island. Would you tell me where is Connie? Thanks

There are indeed a ton of feeder chinook that have shown up out on Constance. Unfortunately they are quite small still as others have said. Very healthy looking fish though so it could be a good sign for winter (and potentially next year's returning chinook runs).

The coho are starting to show up on the tide lines. I gave that a couple hours on Saturday morning but only found one beauty of a wild coho; mid teens gaff released at the side of the boat.IMG_4213.PNG

Last edited:
There are indeed a ton of feeder chinook that have shown up out on Constance. Unfortunately they are quite small still as others have said. Very healthy looking fish though so it could be a good sign for winter (and potentially next year's returning chinook runs).

The coho are starting to show up on the tide lines. I gave that a couple hours on Saturday morning but only found one beauty of a wild coho; mid teens gaff released at the side of the boat.View attachment 35385

First off I gotta say I in no way know Andrew P other than waving at him out on the water occasionally but his smallest spoon literally slayed everything I brought out on Rockdogs boat last week..... it was frigging insane.I'm a bait guy so I ran chovies.....I ran coho killers.....I ran another local guys spoons who I won't mention and the ap spoon slayed like probably 8-1. It was ridiculous. And I'm talking same depth multiple hook ups on rockdogs rigs to mine. I would tell rockdog " you got another fish on" and he would literally just leave it until he was done doing whatever he was doing.......he is kinda a prick like that. So anyway......I need some of those small guys ap

AP spoons are incredibly effective on Springs.
I have been using them almost exclusively for the last 3 years
with great results.

Yes AP spoons are great and they last and work. They are expensive but you pay for what you get, compared to other spoons.

Back