2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I have done well on both tides. Hour before and after. I have also managed to get some in between the tides. I never plan my trip around tides, I go out with a goal to limit out everyday and fish from first light until...the latest has been 6:00. More often than not we make it to our goal.

Good to hear. I've always jus timed my outing with high slack and had good success. A lot of places I fish out of town high tide is the ticket.

If you're fishing the mouth of the Fraser you might want to go a little earlier, sometimes the flood is even better than the slack.

Anyone out now how's the water around the south arm?

Current conditions say there's Northwest 16 at the sandheads light station, so is most definitely not pleasant, although there is a strong flood-tide so that might help a little bit

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0941-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Area 29 (Fraser River Mouth) - Salmon Opportunities

The recreational fishery for salmon in the Fraser River mouth will open with
the management measures noted below.

Waters: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth).

Management measure: Effective 00:01 hours, September 13 until 23:59 hours
December 31, 2017:

- The daily limit for chinook salmon is two (2) with a minimum size limit of 62
cm.
- The daily limit for chum salmon is four (4).
- You may not retain sockeye or pink salmon.
- You may not retain coho salmon, except in that portion of Subarea 29-10 that
lies easterly of a line from Gower Point to the Tango 10 light Buoy, then to
the northern tip of Lulu Island where you may retain two (2) hatchery coho per
day.

Variation Order numbers: 2017-476, 2017-477,2017-478,2017-479

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters of British
Columbia.

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Anglers are advised to check http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures
and other recreational fishing information.

Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected
to the internet at
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm or by using Google
search key words "Recfish Licence".

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-(866)431-
FISH(3474).

Just wanted to confirm that means you can now fish in the south arm of the fraser river all the way down to shady island?

Had a little excitement at the mouth of the Cap - freezer is darn near full so decided to practice the fly fishing - hop in the dingy and anchor near the mouth - within an hour hooked into a nice one - ran for a bit, had some fun, and then it REALLY took off, peeling line- unfortunately soon became evident one of the rats of the sea (seal) had grabbed - I never shy away from a fight though, and after a while brought them both in closer - for 3 or 4 times I'd get it in close, seal would drop it, see the fish move, grab it again. Finally managed to get the fish in the boat (not without the seal doing one last jerk and snapping the rod tip :-( ) - Even after I got the fish in the dingy that bloody vermin stayed within a few feet for several minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170914_101249.jpg
    IMG_20170914_101249.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20170914_104615.jpg
    IMG_20170914_104615.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 241
I'm confused Mayday, you were able to wrestle a salmon away from a seal on a "flyrod". Didn't know they had 20 weight flyrod s? Lol. Also most hooks would be small too, not really allowing much pull.? Seems fishy but a good read

I'm confused Mayday, you were able to wrestle a salmon away from a seal on a "flyrod". Didn't know they had 20 weight flyrod s? Lol. Also most hooks would be small too, not really allowing much pull.? Seems fishy but a good read
Well, many use 10 weights for Tarpon, so I'm guessing a 20 weight would be good for.......Blue Whales? And since locally in the salt, most are running 8 to 10s (if there's a chance of hitting a Spring), I'd say Mayday's story is very plausible. As for the hooks, well....they work for very big fish, just like the ones you use.

was using a 9' 10wt - with a fairly large (for fly fishing) bucktail - but yes, was hell of fight :)
most years typically catch the odd pink/coho - so aside from one or two large pike back east, this was definately (the chinook, never mind the seal too~) the largest that package had seen.

was using a 9' 10wt - with a fairly large (for fly fishing) bucktail - but yes, was hell of fight :)
most years typically catch the odd pink/coho - so aside from one or two large pike back east, this was definately (the chinook, never mind the seal too~) the largest that package had seen.
Well done. Sorry about your rod.

would someone be kind enough to direct me to a map version of this area?

except in that portion of Subarea 29-10 that lies easterly of a line from Gower Point to the Tango 10 light Buoy, then to the northern tip of Lulu Island where you may retain two (2) hatchery coho per day

Does this include the North arm to the South arm? Thank you in advance.

Back