2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Well what started out a lil testy this morning as a gent pulled his little Saab right into the last long boat trailer parking spot right infront on me at Macaulay just so he could take his dog for a walk, turned out to be a pretty awesome day on the water.

Fished everywhere to day since the conditions were so great. Sprinted over the to the lagoon to drop the crab traps and then worked out way around the bend to end up in beacher bay. After I saw a salmon jump ahead of us, I was encouraged to drop some lines by my girl, even though I had plans to fish another spot. Well... she was right. 10 min later lines were down and one was already coming back up with a 10# spring that later graced the cedar plank for dinner. This was the start of the bite. 5 min after that, a double header that brought one pink to the boat, but our second fish got free about 50 yards behind the boat. We let this guy go to fish another day.

Raced on over to pedder bay to get some fuel and then try our next spot for a little halibut. This is where we ended up snagging up pretty bad. No matter how much jigging and repositioning we did, it was no use. Had to cut our losses... literally.

Next we took on the victoria waterfront and hooked up on another pink. This one we kept and it joined its cousin on the BBQ.

Finally we wrapped up around 7. In the end the 9 hours went by really fast. I just wish time at work would rocket by like that.

Lots of boats out today no reports?? Managed a nice 12 lb spring right at the tide change away from the crowd!

Tried further out in hopes of a coho or two but no luck just a few undersize springs.

Brutal day!!!!! /on the water at 5 am /tried till 330 one shaker/ first salmon skunker of the year!!!!! bait, spoons, flasher no flasher ,nothing today /no love lol

Still a tough slog. I was about to give up at 11 am, when I landed a 13 lb red spring. Stayed out a couple more hours, but no other hits.

Purple Coho killer on anything purple flasher, 70+ feet in 80 feet of water.

You will be surprised what you end up catching and how many hits.

I hate the waterfront and never have success until this year. Been skunked once on 5 outings.

Night tack produced a #12 for us today. Plenty of bait but fishing is slow. Still have the fingers crossed for a fresh wave of fish to move through... it'll happen!

It's tough to find the fish out there...but they are there.

Went out Monday for a quick strike, fished 830-1030, 21lb red hatchery Chinook in the boat and released a mid teen and then lost a hatch coho. Gear between 100-120' in same water depth. Went back to the same spot for 915-1115 yesterday and not a bite. My buddy got a 27lb a few hours later. Near flagpole. IMG_4182.JPG

Was out in sooke Monday and got a donut. Got back on the horse and went out off waterfront Tuesday 12-5 was a nice calm day but smokey skies. We're using anchovies mostly and at 3pm ( middle of the solar bite) off the flagpole ( only boat around)into the tide in 200ft deep and 60' on the riggers a double header landed a red male 10lb spring on a tiger head & a male 8 lb hatch Coho on a green Joanne. Had another even stronger hit to the boat right after but during my 10 mins to identify (still a rookie) it was not to be. Ended the day with 3 good daddy dungees and high fives on one of my best days off the waterfront.

fished the mudhole for last hali today but no luck current pretty hot and we fish deep/went to sax point and banged off an 18 lb spring betsy with no bananas spoon 69 feet

IMG_1252.JPG Went out with a buddy on the solnar bite this afternoon off Mcaulay and in the middle of that bite time 2pm -5pm around 3:45 another double header in 125 ft at 80 on the rigger trolling into the flow using small anchovies on tiger prawn and green Joanne teasers landed both white springs. A mom and a pop at 13 lb & 16 lb. what a great week for me after all the efforts over the summer. Had 18 crabs in the pot with mostly small sand 3 females and a few keepers in there.

Fished out front from 7am to 2pm. 5 hits,,,,,of those I lost 2, released 2 small hatchery springs and kept 1 about 5 or 6 lbs. Green flasher and spoon. (I'm sure they have a name but I don't know it) All 5 hits were in 120 to 140ft of water with 110 on the DR.. Fished the shallower depths with bait, spoons etc but nothing.

Yesterday my buddy and I fished 645 am to 12. We had only one hit and I got a nice 23 lbs white spring. It was really good fight. It took the bait and run like a freight train was about 200 yard.
We 've been trying to get another bite and no luck just only one bite.

There were about 30 boats . I saw about 5 or 6 land by the nets .

It was really slow..

Attachments

• 20170909_133224.jpg
    20170909_133224.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 71
I started at the flats 9am anf worked my way down to clover lost one decent one at clover. Sae seagulls and ran through that way around the flagpole my uncle landed a 10lb. Then to the breakwater it was found my 10 lb white just off the wall. Worked our way around the green can back to brotchie and in through the wall to tag up our last two. Last two was a double header ourside of brotchie. Then it was lines up and throttle it home. What a nice day on the water

Went 2 for 4 off Esquimalt to Brotchie between 8:30 -3 Sunday. Had a nice coho that did a couple nice leaps and tail dance but lost it just before netting. Had a freight train on by McCauley but lost it too. Got 13lb white by Brotchie around 11am then 7lb white near breakwater at 2pm. Long day with only 4 bites but beauty day on water.

Was out solo 4-7:30 last night again on that solnar bite and had a double header at 7:15 inside the green Bouy near Mcaulay punt. 75 ft and 44 on the rigger. Set hook on first opened the drag picked up the second much bigger strike so played it to the boat 3 times and it jumped into my net (lucky I'm sure). Back to the other and not there. 11 lb red female spring caught again on that tiger prawn teaser head and anchovies. The one that got off bit on a cop car spoon.Was a flat calm night ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 51
Had Macaulay pt to ourselves last night 5:30-8. Pretty choppy at first but laid down as the sun went down.
One anchovy got smashed but neither of us saw the bite and it didn't trip.
Nice night out with my good bro.

Fished 7-11 this morning green can/breakwater. One small white male spring 1 at 8 a.m. anchovies at 77ft. on the rigger.
Missed two others. Moved to the flagpole one coho at 50 ft.
Fog on and off.
Stosh

Back