2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Anything you would want to retain or have actually bite are done for the most part up that way. Can head up to the rca around Crocker and watch every Romanian this side of the Fraser rip the butt out of stale ones though.
And yet DFO couldn't care less . Same thing every time the pinks are up there.
Sad

I'm out off the North arm. Was the only boat for a while. Couple more now. Killer whales came thru heading north. Saw them heading back towards sand heads now. Only 1 small Jack so far

I'm out off the North arm. Was the only boat for a while. Couple more now. Killer whales came thru heading north. Saw them heading back towards sand heads now. Only 1 small Jack so far

T pod (5-6 orca) or lots? Our local j, k, l pods are finally back

The DFO needs to work with Navionics to have all the area numbers, closures and RCAs as an update to your charts. They could even make it mandatory to have as part of your license so all these assholes can stop claiming that they "didn't know". It took me a couple hours this winter to set pins around the sponge reef closures to make sure I was following the rules while prawning. Even then I have to know what the mess of pins means. Clearly hatched areas would make it pretty simple. I have a hunting app that tells you exactly what region you're in and what's open based on your GPS location and requires no cell reception, it was $5.
Perhaps this will work for you. I dont believe all 160+ rcas are mapped but perhaps the area you fish is there

https://sites.google.com/site/rockfishconservationareas/

For the RCA's and Sponge Reefs now I just take a snap shot of the map picture with gps coordinates from the DFO pages and keep them on my phone at all time. I also back them up on an SD card. That way if I ever wanna go jig for Lings or Halis in different areas I just check my phone for that spot then plug in the gps pin points on the chart. I used to sit in my boat forever plugging in the points all over the place ahead of time but now I find this much quicker and I have every RCA etc pics on my phone no matter what region I am around the different areas I fish. Works well for me anyways..
Perhaps this will work for you
https://sites.google.com/site/rockfishconservationareas/

Anybody catching fish out there? Might head out tomorrow.

South arm today.
Wow started at 7:30, accompanied with a Huge pod of Killer Whales, obviously feeding, going in all directions. fished till 6 pm.
Released a wack of Grilse. Used Herring, hootchies and spoons. Lost one good one. 55 feet. On bait.
Saw and watched 29 boats, go round and round, back and forth, only saw three keepers total.
To slow to go back tomorrow, lots of pinks and sox surfacing and jumping. Didn't target them.
Saw a large sail boat anchor, beside the green can. For what who knows......
Didn't fish the closed area for springs teehee
HT

Last edited:
Sandheads, 11-6. Had to take a break to take a buddy in for work. Just about the biggest pink I've ever landed about 11:45, a mid teens spring at 1:30 as we packed up to take said friend in. Came back out, lots of smalls, one pin popping sockeye at 93', completely stunned me. Obviously he went back. And a barely under football around 4:30.
Big thanks to the wakeboard boat all of 15' to my port who then decided to get even closer while I was hooked up, then proceeded to cross along my stern as an escape option.... smh.

It's slow, but had an awesome day with a decent amount of action. You learn to get good at gaf releases on a day like today.

Waiting on those whites.

Any one ventured out to Sandheads in the wind?
We were hoping to, but didn't want to risk it. The trees are still in N.Delta.

I also live in ND and hoped we would get lucky with the wind but that wasn't the case on Monday. Got out to the lighthouse and turned back within minutes. Too much for my 18ft aluminum.

Back