2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Guy in cartopper trolling the next red can in past jetty. 2 other boats inside lifht ship. Making us look bad.
I know for certain there were a lot of boats inside when I was there a few days ago. BUT saying that like I said earlier..the way the notice is written if they aren't caught keeping Springs then they are legal cause it only states "closed for retention of Chinook"..

The area that can be inside the line that is still got a bit of depth to it is just to the north of the Steveston Jetti in between that and the Sturgeon Bank in 29-10 by my chart, that area looks like water up to a couple hundred feet can be inside the boundary in one area.. And 29-6 looks to have some deeper water in it too.

But can't say for 100% till we can get the gps coordinates. Why does DFO include GPS coordinates for RCA's but not a lot of other closures and/or notice updates? So inconsistent on their part.

Knock knock knock ....... Is that someone at the door?
All,

Man this thread goes off the rails very fast, everyone has to put in their two cents just because a guy had a good day and posted a dam report
I didn't say I was at the Coal Ports,, I know where you can and can't fish.
I was 1 mile away from all the other boats in the direction of the coal ports, the same place I was stopped by DFO on Saturday with no issues, they were checking for licences and barbed hooks, I actually had a nice chat with them. They saw I had 12 chinook on my licence from all over and asked wow what do you do with all that fish?
I told them I give a lot away to people that don't have boats or can't get out which I do.
Get back to the reports and stop critizing the hell out of people on this forum just because everyone "assumes"

The DFO needs to work with Navionics to have all the area numbers, closures and RCAs as an update to your charts. They could even make it mandatory to have as part of your license so all these assholes can stop claiming that they "didn't know". It took me a couple hours this winter to set pins around the sponge reef closures to make sure I was following the rules while prawning. Even then I have to know what the mess of pins means. Clearly hatched areas would make it pretty simple. I have a hunting app that tells you exactly what region you're in and what's open based on your GPS location and requires no cell reception, it was $5.

The DFO needs to work with Navionics to have all the area numbers, closures and RCAs as an update to your charts. They could even make it mandatory to have as part of your license so all these assholes can stop claiming that they "didn't know". It took me a couple hours this winter to set pins around the sponge reef closures to make sure I was following the rules while prawning. Even then I have to know what the mess of pins means. Clearly hatched areas would make it pretty simple. I have a hunting app that tells you exactly what region you're in and what's open based on your GPS location and requires no cell reception, it was $5.

You can employ any info services you want through any technology you like, the "I didn't know" assholes will always exist. ;)

All, Get back to the reports and stop critizing the hell out of people on this forum just because everyone "assumes"

I understand where you're coming from but it brings up a good point that's worth clarifying. As long as you know you were legal that's all that matters.

And nice work on snagging one in these cooled off conditions. ;)

All,

Man this thread goes off the rails very fast, everyone has to put in their two cents just because a guy had a good day and posted a dam report
I didn't say I was at the Coal Ports,, I know where you can and can't fish.
I was 1 mile away from all the other boats in the direction of the coal ports, the same place I was stopped by DFO on Saturday with no issues, they were checking for licences and barbed hooks, I actually had a nice chat with them. They saw I had 12 chinook on my licence from all over and asked wow what do you do with all that fish?
I told them I give a lot away to people that don't have boats or can't get out which I do.
Get back to the reports and stop critizing the hell out of people on this forum just because everyone "assumes"
i think it is just clarification to others that might read your report and head to coal port fishing and not know where the boundary is, as you clearly do know where it is. thank you for the great report!

I understand where you're coming from but it brings up a good point that's worth clarifying. As long as you know you were legal that's all that matters.

And nice work on snagging one in these cooled off conditions. ;)

Exactly, chill Oilslick, gosh all mighty all in fun, as others have said, as long as YOU know your legal all is good.
From your original description..... Others may interpret that wrong. That's it.
And for those that say, well guys on the net said it was open and bonk or fish illegally should be dealt with.
Glad you had a great day, glad you posted too. Many of us do appreciate it.
As for the 12 on your license, from as you say all over the place, good on ya!

If you are at the sandheads light station, and you head towards the next red can out to sea from it, you are skirting the boundary, any turn to the left, especially if you pass the large lighthouse west of the sandheads is most definitely part of what we refer to as the banana, 29 - 9 and 29 - 6.
If DFO were checking people and they weren't ticketing you were telling you to leave, I'm guessing their mandate for the day was to check for barbed hooks and Sockeye.
The reason it no longer says that it's closed to salmon fishing is because they opened it to pinks.
If you check the regs rather than looking for a specific notice, you will see that 29.9 and 29-6 are both open to pinks but not to Chinook.
I have fished in the legal area off of the coal port in the past, but it's actually out quite far, past the shipping channels.
As for "knowing" that you're legal, do you mean that you checked the GPS location against the points on the map? Most people are surprised at the direction you have to go from the Sandheads light station to remain in 29-4, if I were to describe the course I would say that I was heading towards active pass, not towards the coal port.
Once you head out several miles you can turn towards the San Juan Islands, but you would find your bearing to be well west of the coal port.
In the image below you can see the intersection of 29 3, 4, 9, 10.
That is the sandheads light station. From there is a line which goes south towards 29-6 before it turns slightly to the east. The point where it turns is the other large lighthouse (S0). From that lighthouse you have to head south rather than Southeast along the Shelf. There is a large area where a lot of people think it is legal, but you're actually in area 29 - 6.
I'm suggesting that maybe it's possible people are wrong: they think that they're legal and they're actually in 29-6

Screenshot_20170904-084213.png

Last edited:
Headed out to Sandheads yesterday morning. Fished through the ebb into the start of the flood. Caught a few undersize chinook in the first half of the day. I'd categorize it as quite slow during that period. Bite came on around 3pm. Landed a nice 18lb red despite a seal lingering around - I thought for sure the fish would be a seal meal but we managed to land it without incident. I'm guessing the seal had already chowed down on someone else's fish so wasn't hungry! 2 really long screaming runs. Good fun. We had to leave right afterwards unfortunately to get back but I suspect those that were able to continue fishing through the flood probably did quite well. Fished anchovies exclusively. Chartreuse & bloody nose teaser heads. Caught fish on both but the 18lb was caught on the bloody nose teaser at 60'.

Attachments

• IMG_3149.JPG
    IMG_3149.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 93
For the RCA's and Sponge Reefs now I just take a snap shot of the map picture with gps coordinates from the DFO pages and keep them on my phone at all time. I also back them up on an SD card. That way if I ever wanna go jig for Lings or Halis in different areas I just check my phone for that spot then plug in the gps pin points on the chart. I used to sit in my boat forever plugging in the points all over the place ahead of time but now I find this much quicker and I have every RCA etc pics on my phone no matter what region I am around the different areas I fish. Works well for me anyways..

I hoping the BC Fishing App would have an overlay of fishing boundaries with google maps. Then you would be able to track if you were in bounds or not.

Back