2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Slow for us. Only landed 1 of 3 springs. A pink a sockeye released. 1 just under. Grinded out for little to show. Pays to get away from the fleet I suppose. So slow but very nice day.

Well glad I ventured out, going up the river was a tad ugly but once you got to sandheads it wasn't too bad. This afternoon it flattened out quite nicely. Stayed with the crowd for the first 3 hours with nothing to show for it then headed out to 300' and towards delta port and within 30 minutes we limited out on springs, 2 in the high teens and 2 in the mid teens, the only boat within a mile... funny how that works...
I'm pretty sure that is a closed area

Got to the bell at 9 this morning. lost one decent fish and had another couple hits that didn't stick in the first hour. Saw some nets out during that time as well. Bite seemed to end at 1030.

Think the boundary is the hooter?

DFO link for an angling closure near there?

I know there is a navigational closure by Delta Port but that states no setting of crab pots there to interrupt with commercial vessels navigation. I have not seen or can't find any DFO fisheries closure info for that area on any of the 2017 postings.

I'm not saying there isn't just that I can't find any current info on it if there is.

When I was fishing the sandheads a few days ago I noticed no sporty boats traveling past the Steveston Arm so I was wondering the same thing.

In past years DFO and Berry's and other places used to post the info about the banana and related area closures all the time with maps etc..This 2017 DFO info is getting to be like a major task to find **** out these days. It should be very easy for anyone to find this stuff out quickly. It's 2017 and we go to the web for info. Why can't they get on top of this stuff. Complaints about it all over the place.

I'm pretty sure that is a closed area
Well if it was a closed area , over 100 boats were fishing illegally yesterday because that's where a lot of them were.
I know my areas very well and what's open and closed, I keep a very close eye on it.

Well if it was a closed area , over 100 boats were fishing illegally yesterday because that's where a lot of them were.
I know my areas very well and what's open and closed, I keep a very close eye on it.

They are talking about your trip towards coal ports, but I'm sure you were west of the line, fishing 29-4. 300' of water is way out.

The Banana is closed and they added 29-6 to the closures

Here is a notice dated July 31 2017. http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199048&ID=all
(not on the regular area 29 updates page at DFO site either-it's on a separate notice page)
.....All of Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth) are closed to retention of Chinook Salmon.

So those areas are open for fishing and retention of other species of fish just not Chinook? Didn't it used to be closed for all angling or am I remembering wrong?

Has that notice been changed since July 31st? I searched through the notices pages and couldn't find a later update.
If not then a **** load, and I mean **** load of sporties are fishing inside those sub areas. And keeping Chinook in those areas? So many boats in there I'm sure a bunch of Chinook are getting bonked too.

DFO needs to put these notices with additions to them on the original AREA REGION info pages like they used to do. All additions used to be updated on the main pages and were easy to locate.

29-3 and 29-4 open.

Map of the area: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/areas-secteurs/29-eng.html

Last edited:
Here is a notice dated July 31 2017. http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=199048&ID=all
(not on the regular area 29 updates page at DFO site either-it's on a separate notice page)
.....All of Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 (Fraser River mouth) are closed to retention of Chinook Salmon.

So those areas are open for fishing and retention of other species of fish just not Chinook? Didn't it used to be closed for all angling or am I remembering wrong?

Has that notice been changed since July 31st? I searched through the notices pages and couldn't find a later update.
If not then a **** load, and I mean **** load of sporties are fishing inside those sub areas.

DFO needs to put these notices with additions to them on the original AREA REGION info pages like they used to do. All additions used to be updated on the main pages and were easy to locate.

I always assume the banana remains closed but as everyone can see fishing near there a **** load of people don't realize this probably cause it's not on the main pages anymore.

29-3 and 29-4 open.
Here's what I'm going by. ***** so confusing
Map of the area: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/areas-secteurs/29-eng.html

So confusing there's gotta be a way to make it easier

Attachments

• IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 99
I just put up that same map Chuck. The wording on the notice though says closed to retention of Springs. Doesn't say closed to angling. Pretty sure I remember them closing it before to ALL ANGLING. Am I incorrect?

If not then a **** load, and I mean **** load of sporties are fishing inside those sub areas. And keeping Chinook in those areas? So many boats in there I'm sure a bunch of Chinook are getting bonked too.

29-3 and 29-4 open.

DFO has been anchored all weekend out at the south arm ,wouldn't they know what's up ? Seen them go in and out for the last couple days just targeting the odd boat some in some out.jeadimg out tomorrow hope it's better then Saturday lol only got one to the boat!!

DFO has been anchored all weekend out at the south arm ,wouldn't they know what's up ? Seen them go in and out for the last couple days just targeting the odd boat some in some out.jeadimg out tomorrow hope it's better then Saturday lol only got one to the boat!!
Wonder if they are watching with binoculars to see if Chinook are getting retained inside the banana area if it is open to retention to other species of Salmon.

They left today around 8am checked couple boats and went north cutter and all

There were a lot of boats far inside in 30 to 60' of water. Pretty sure that's in the banana lol. Where I drop my traps too.
Nah been fishing this are for years yet to see anybody really fishing in there.

Attachments

• FS.JPG
    FS.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a picture of the gps coordinates laid over the sub area boundary lines? Would be interested to see what the depth is where the Chinook retention line starts :) Any time I've fished there I'm out far enough to be safe but there are lot's of boats way inside the shallows.

Back