Possession Limits - your take?

Had a good chat with my neighbour across the street a few nights ago, he works for CATSA at the CR airport. He says he sees people coming home with several times their legal limits packed so they're unidentifiable. It's worst on the flight from Bella Coola as they have to clear security in CR so these are all lodge clients from mid coast. Last week he saw a US couple with 3 12"x12"x36" packer boxes full of headless prawns. He gets no support from his superiors "not our mandate" is all they say. It would be so easy for DFO to show up there a couple hours per week. Just like at our 3 local boat ramps.

People put a lot at risk by not doing their best to do all things correctly. The money it takes to go on these trips is getting very expensive whether you go to a lodge or a do it yourself like many of us do regardless it's a lot of cash. For us with rooms, gas for boat and the 1500km trek from home and back, bait, gear, meals out and meals in on a 10 - 12 day trip we easily spend $8-10 grand that's not bloody cheap. To risk losing what we do get to take home plus fines is just senseless it really is. I try my best every year to follow the regs to the tee and it's not easy. I vacuum seal my catch myself, its not an easy task to do if you want to make portions for eating, it takes a lot of time and money and effort. It can take up to an hr or more to do 6 fish but it has to be done in order to do it right and preserve your catch properly. I see others around me and friends that I fish with that do it themselves that just don't care and risk it all. I see bags with fish in them just thrown in freezers, no markings on the bags as to what's in them, who's they are, blaintant disregard for the regulations. In some cases it's just ignorance in other its just not caring. And if they did get caught the DFO's would be the butt holes not them. Yes the regs seem over board on some things when it comes to markings and keeping track but they are the regs, they are in place for a reason. If you can't follow the rules of the game then get out, cause you are just ruining it for th rest of us. Every time someone abuses a loop hole, every time someone breaks a rule all thats happens is they make it harder and more tedious for us. Those that break the rules or abuse them are the problem, you are brining it on the rest of us. There is no way what we get to bring home justifies what it costs us to go get it but that's not the point it's a sport, it's about the fun. The few morsel we get is just a bonus that we get to feed our families with few good pure organic meals the way God intended man to eat. A couple more fish in the basket is not going to make it worth while all they are doing is F'in it up for the rest of us and could very well ruin your whole trip.

Just my ipinion on the matter, not that it will sink in on the abusers anyways.

I dunno....I started this thread as it seemed quite apparent in the Nootka reports thread that people are being given misinformation as to the limits/possession limits they can possess. As this is a fishing forum, I thought it wasn't a bad idea to bring it to light. ;);)

If a lodge in Nootka is telling people that when they bring in fish to a licensed facility they can continue to catch limits; a little clarity surely can't hurt. :confused: :rolleyes:

Caring about this "crap", kind of IS our duty as fishermen. :D

Anybody get the add from Rodgers Lodge for his halibut special in May and June 2018 ?
Depending on how much you want to spend on a 5 night 4 day trip, you can either catch 2, 4, or 6 halibut. You will be limited to how many pounds you can have as he will fly it out for you.

People put a lot at risk by not doing their best to do all things correctly. The money it takes to go on these trips is getting very expensive whether you go to a lodge or a do it yourself like many of us do regardless it's a lot of cash. For us with rooms, gas for boat and the 1500km trek from home and back, bait, gear, meals out and meals in on a 10 - 12 day trip we easily spend $8-10 grand that's not bloody cheap. To risk losing what we do get to take home plus fines is just senseless it really is. I try my best every year to follow the regs to the tee and it's not easy. I vacuum seal my catch myself, its not an easy task to do if you want to make portions for eating, it takes a lot of time and money and effort. It can take up to an hr or more to do 6 fish but it has to be done in order to do it right and preserve your catch properly. I see others around me and friends that I fish with that do it themselves that just don't care and risk it all. I see bags with fish in them just thrown in freezers, no markings on the bags as to what's in them, who's they are, blaintant disregard for the regulations. In some cases it's just ignorance in other its just not caring. And if they did get caught the DFO's would be the butt holes not them. Yes the regs seem over board on some things when it comes to markings and keeping track but they are the regs, they are in place for a reason. If you can't follow the rules of the game then get out, cause you are just ruining it for th rest of us. Every time someone abuses a loop hole, every time someone breaks a rule all thats happens is they make it harder and more tedious for us. Those that break the rules or abuse them are the problem, you are brining it on the rest of us. There is no way what we get to bring home justifies what it costs us to go get it but that's not the point it's a sport, it's about the fun. The few morsel we get is just a bonus that we get to feed our families with few good pure organic meals the way God intended man to eat. A couple more fish in the basket is not going to make it worth while all they are doing is F'in it up for the rest of us and could very well ruin your whole trip.

Just my ipinion on the matter, not that it will sink in on the abusers anyways.

Ahmen Brother!

Related but slightly off topic - I live on my sailboat, and often go for week long trips at various places that include a day or two of fishing. DFO regs seem to suggest that fish have to remain identifiable (by leaving tail on etc) while still out, and can only be turned into 'proper' fillets when you are back home.

The problem is I'm 'always' home, and I have a really small fridge/freezer so I want to get them to storable chunks asap.

I wait until I am at anchor that evening (wherever that is) until I fillet the fish but I have visions of being out fishing and having the previous days fillets seen in the fridge/freezer and being pulled up for not having them identifiable.

I'm not worried about possession limits as I don't have even close to the freezer space or the skills to even remotely approach the limits - hah.

I'm really careful re: size limits, closures, barbs etc but this seems to be kind of a grey area.

Last edited:
Anybody get the add from Rodgers Lodge for his halibut special in May and June 2018 ?
Depending on how much you want to spend on a 5 night 4 day trip, you can either catch 2, 4, or 6 halibut. You will be limited to how many pounds you can have as he will fly it out for you.
I heard that Rogers Lodge is toast!

I just had clients here for four days that were suppose to fish with Rodgers

The lodge told them that they were closing on the 13th of August due to smoke from the wild fires in interior BC

Sounds fishy to me

At this point no return of any funds for the trip.

I just had clients here for four days that were suppose to fish with Rodgers

The lodge told them that they were closing on the 13th of August due to smoke from the wild fires in interior BC

Sounds fishy to me

At this point no return of any funds for the trip.

I heard through the grape vine that he had filed bankruptcy.
He's still sending out adds for 2018 trip specials
Be very careful.

Here is the email from Rodgers.... very sad...

Attachments

• IMG_2118.PNG
    IMG_2118.PNG
    480.2 KB · Views: 95
BGM,

Would be interested in hearing who may be buying quota here in Hardy.

First I've heard of it.

Details please.

I know of a company or two that have allowed purchased quota on their boats but none that are purchasing it themselves.

PM me if you would like

Back