Where would you mount downriggers...

Damien

Understanding I don't have an ideal fishing platform to work from, I still want to have riggers as an option. Since I already own riggers, I figure I will mount plates that can be at the ready when needed. (I usually fish the large, Fraser Valley lakes. A typical day for me is to get on the lake at first light. Fish till noon, pick up the family at the dock and tube/picnic/sight see for the rest of the day.

With that out of the way, would you mount on the rear deck surface, or use a Scotty Right Angle mount through the gunnel?

downrigger.jpg downrigger 2.jpg

I know being further aft reduces the likelyhood of getting caught up on the kicker. At the same time, I would have to kneel/lean on the back seat to retrieve the ball and clip on. Slight further fore, using the side/gunnel mount wouldn't have to lean as far. Not a big difference. Less than 24" difference between these two mounting locations. Thoughts or opinions from you Wiseguys are appreciates.

I may even just mount the one rigger, until I feel the need to mount a second.

I would mount on the rear deck as in your first picture. Yes, you will have to reach further out to clip on and retrieve the ball but in the other location the bracket will interfere with your rear passenger seating area and could lead to some bumps and bruises while trying to have fun with the boat.

i ll have to agree with trophy fisher. but
with the swivel base and a retriever line
u can make do...

I would seriously just give your buddy some gas money or exchange a water skiing trip for a fishing trip.
I fished on a boat that wasn't intended for fishing and you'll find problems with every step of the way, netting the fish where to stand while you're fighting it keeping the boat straight controlling your speed, getting blood on everything where to put your cooler where to store your fishing gear.... It can get very frustrating if you have more than two people on the boat

I get it, its not idea. But the riggers will be removed using the simple wing bolt things from Scotty. All that will remain during family time will be the small plates, either flush on the back deck or the small interior plate used with the right angle mount. Even though I do have the swivel mounts. The plate are inconspicuous and aren't in the way.

Re: blood. Well, I release the trout I catch, the kokanee I catch to eat are easily plunked into my small kill-cooler. And my carpet is red already, lol.

I'm coming from fishing out of a small tinny (which I still have) to this boat. So I get that isn't ideal for netting either. But it certainly wont be nearly as cluttered and tippy as the tinny. I won't get pummelled by rain in the face as I have a windsheild, the bimini will be a luxury, as will having a radio etc.

Ocean fishing, yeah. I have friends' boats for that.

Second pic with right angle mounts, make sure u put a large backing surface on the inside to spread the load (Nylon cutting boards are cheap and easy to work with)

Second pic with right angle mounts, make sure u put a large backing surface on the inside to spread the load (Nylon cutting boards are cheap and easy to work with)

I agree, I think you would find it awkward trying to access them mounted at the back.

If you mount it like the first picture you need a swivel base to swing it to the front of the boat to deal with it. Second picture is a better working position, but you will have to watch it on tight turns.

How does your kicker mount? If it's on a bracket hanging off the transom, it looks like you may have more DR wire clearance around the prop by mounting it as in the second pic. I agree with the other comments that it looks like the low rear deck will be awkward to work a DR from.

Can you put up a pic of your boat from behind side from front etc so we can see how much room you have etc ...thanks

I will take some more pics.

The kicker is mounted on the port as such;
index.php

I'm leaning towards gunnel mounting. I might only put one rigger, starboard side. The riggers have the swivel bases.

I used side mounts on this boat. You can see the small black rectangle on the back corner, drivers side. You can also see a portion of the mount on the opposite side. When the riggers were off there was nothing in the way. Not the best pic but I think you get the idea. If someone knows how to rotate the pic, please do. IMG_1580.JPG

Yeah, thats ticket. Right angle screws right into that using the scotty wing nut things. Quick and easy on and off for the riggers. And all thats left is the little plate when not fishing.

I take it you had access to get a backing plate on and to through bolt? Did you use the scotty backing plate, or something else?

IMG_3170.JPG
Definitely mount forward with angle mounts you will be ok with kicker. I actually prefer mine further forward for several reasons. I have never got dr line in wheel of kicker but I do recommend a prop guard on it.

I had access but it was tight. I used starboard plastic in behind and bolted through. It was a fairly easy install. Thanks for flipping the pic.

Back