2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Good morning for us.
Fished green can to breakwater 7 to 10:30. 2 fish - 10 and 18#'s, both reds at 49 and 66ft on bait.
Good luck
Stosh

fished 1030 til 5 all day long. I think I'm doing something wrong in the Oakbay waters :p one on and lost. Other than that notta fished Gap then flats, then back to gap and notta sniff :( Used andrew p spoons, flashers, no bannanas spoons, coho killers, and ancho. Even used one of those gang troll type deals on the ball. What worked the one time? green onion paired with gold nugget coho killer at 75 feet in 130 feet of water. Tips and hints guys?

Summer months brings a lot of dog fish in to the Hali areas. Were you using bait or artificial gear? We anchored for Hali's NW from where you were fishing last week and managed one over sized Hali we released after long hours of fishing and releasing dog fish after dog fish. Had both bait and artificial down and the dog fish ate every chunk of bait we put down. We were fishing pretty deep too at 400' so bringing those suckers up from that depth over and over again can be a pain in the butt. Will put much more time in for the Hali's when the dog's are gone.

We were fishing bait. Salmon bellies. We didn't even have much for dog sharks on the bank. Only 1 but got a few more over at discovery
When do those pests go away? Are halo in the deeper waters this time of year?

fished 1030 til 5 all day long. I think I'm doing something wrong in the Oakbay waters :p one on and lost. Other than that notta fished Gap then flats, then back to gap and notta sniff :( Used andrew p spoons, flashers, no bannanas spoons, coho killers, and ancho. Even used one of those gang troll type deals on the ball. What worked the one time? green onion paired with gold nugget coho killer at 75 feet in 130 feet of water. Tips and hints guys?

Typically Oak bay is best for Springs from mid April till mid June.
In the average year it tails off noticeably after that. (not that you can't still get the odd nice one)
August is best off the waterfront but you also have to put up with a lot of boats concentrated in a small area.

Nothing for me yesterday, fished all morning at the break wall And can...
Out right now, fishing the same area and only had one hit that didn't stick. It seems awfully slow right now, I'm guessing all of the fish we were enjoying last week are now gone.

We were fishing bait. Salmon bellies. We didn't even have much for dog sharks on the bank. Only 1 but got a few more over at discovery
When do those pests go away? Are halo in the deeper waters this time of year?
Fitzy I'm no Hali expert at all. This year is my first year anchoring for them. I have drifted and trolled for them over the years. The dogs come in over the summer months and thin out more and more as summer and fall pass on. I was fishing for them recently between Sooke and Renfrew and the bank was loaded with the dog fish. Yes, my buddies that anchor for them a lot move out to deeper water this time of year also.

Fished the waterfront today 7-11:30. 65+ boats and not much going on. I had 2 hits and that was it. Saw only 6 fish caught but hopefully it's better tomorrow for the derby.

Nothing for me yesterday, fished all morning at the break wall And can...
Out right now, fishing the same area and only had one hit that didn't stick. It seems awfully slow right now, I'm guessing all of the fish we were enjoying last week are now gone.

Same for us, 9am-12pm breakwall to esquimalt without a strike.
saw only 3 landed from a huge fleet

Typically Oak bay is best for Springs from mid April till mid June.
In the average year it tails off noticeably after that. (not that you can't still get the odd nice one)
August is best off the waterfront but you also have to put up with a lot of boats concentrated in a small area.
:( thanks craven. Ill keep at it the kids are loving the area and im just happy the boat is getting use this year. Maybe ill do ten mile and around that side. See how that goes.

Joined the waterfront armada today. Had 2 good hits between 8 and 9 near the Harbour mouth. One got off after a short struggle the second stuck: 17#. Bait and near the bottom. Dead after 9 am. At noon moved to Constance, nothing, not even a single pink. Very strange. Good luck everyone in the Derby tomorrow. BTW, the Esquimalt Anglers parking lot was full before 6 am today!

Reactions: NDT
It was too good of a day to pass up, did my chores (cut grass and running around) decided to head out on the water. After trying to launch the boat as 8 boats were coming in to get out of the water at 12:30, all in a respective manor of course, headed out to Constance for some halibut. I started fishing at 1:10, I was rewarded early, packing up at 2:30. Fishing in 275 feet of water. A wee bit too much current & drag for my salmon head on circle hook with glow hoochie, so I hooked up my downrigger with a release clip. 15 minutes later, wham. Kinda fun fighting a fish with no resistance.

The fish gods mad me pay though, had a glitch with my anchor system, had to pull all 650' up by hand.

Sorry third photo, not my kid, wanted to see the fish and be in the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 141
  • image.png
    image.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 153
Fished the derby 7-1pm. Caught a 12.5# and had one other hit. Very slow day but still enjoyed the derby. Thanks to all the volunteers who made it happen.

Talk about a slow derby. We released a small spring and a wild coho. Looked dead out there, gotta wait for a new wave to move through.

Back