Best Radar/GPS/Sonar Combos? Lowrance Price Drop

kaelc

It seems GPS/Sonar Combo change almost as fast as cell phones these days. Lowrance has just done major discounts on their headunits. http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/News/New-Low-Prices-2017/ Hummingbird was apparently killing them in price but I've never seen one of their radars.

What GPS/Sound Combo with Radar capability have you bought lately? I'm thinking of the Lowrance HDS 7 or 9 with an Airmar Transducer (P66 or TM150M Chirp)

Thanks for any ideas

For the price Lowrance is pretty good stuff. If you want commercial grade go with SIMRAD or Furuno. I have the same set up you are thinking about and it works very well. The new 3G and 4G broadband radar is great the radar display over your map makes interpreting your radar image very easy. Much better then traditional radar technology - much less harmful microwave radiation. The Airmar P-66 is a great transducer for the $, much better than what comes stock with most Lowrance and Humminbird units.

I was on a sturgeon charter a week ago and the guide had a 10" Humminbird side scan sonar/GPS combo. Amazing clarity and resolution on the sonar, you could literally count the fins on the fish. No idea what he paid for it though.

Also if you do go with the lowrance and can afford the extra few dollars for the 4G it's well worth it I've had both 3G and the 4G now. it'sa much cleaner picture and much better target seperation and that's with an hds 8 gen 2

Interested to know how well HB would handle to salt water environment? Haven't seen any in use on the salt.

I've had a Humminbird for 3 years with the 2kw radar. The radar hasn't seen much use, but the dozen or so times I have used it it's been perfectly adequate. Sounder works just fine, maybe not as clear as the new chirp units but it shows me where the fish are all the same.

2-3 years ago there was a big push by HB to get into the saltwater scene but I'm not sure how well it worked out for them. Don't see many humminbirds on the salt.

the side scan on a hb are mainly for
fresh or shallow water but the new
mega hd chirp is the bomb.
fun to use .....loads of feature and
with the 50/200 khz deep water
transducer very little is left to be
desired...funny how when in rome
and what the main stream status quo
turns out many go with and service
is everything.
south of the 49 th and this wouldn t
be up for discussion.

Long since concluded boaters and fishers are mostly set in their ways, and regional conventions seem especially so. Tough to find someone on this board who has downriggers that were made by anyone other than Scotty, or willing to consider fishing salmon with anything other than a single action reel.

Back