BWD was wrong with the wind forecast yesterday morning and I hoped he would be today, but not so. Pretty bumpy when we started at 6:30am. Too messy to smash our way down to Muir as intended, so stuck to the harbour mouth. Did one circuit of Possession with the boat pack then started across harbour mouth. Got a hit on anchovy/green-god teaser around 7:30am at 55 feet and got a feisty thing to the surface which I think was a coho, judging by the way it twisted and rolled. Anyway, pop went the hook. Down again to same depth and continued across harbour mouth and at 8:00am returning through the same area had a really big hit and struck something better. Eventually we netted a splendid (for us!!) 14lb chinook.:)

That was it for the day really. Wind came and went, as did the fog, and we tried out further for pinks in the calmer spells. We did get another nice hit at 95’ off Secretary around 11:00am which again came to the surface , twisted and rolled and departed. Coho again?? o_O Back to harbour mouth but by then wind really picked up and the flood was pushing hard in the same direction. After two encounters with kelp rafts, hard to see in the big chop, we pulled the gear at 1:30pm. A good day, considering the conditions……:D

Last edited:
Ideal conditions up west today with just a slight chop on the water and a nice steady ebb to work with. After a couple of passes at Otter and not much going on...trolled with the ebb to Muir...didn't get the fishy feeling there so pulled the gear and ran to the light. Only 2 boats there so powered right up to the reef and turned into the ebb current in tight to the rocks. Fish on right away. Landed that one and powered right back onto the same spot...on again and landed that one as well. Repeated that pattern a few more time and missed one as my back was to the rod and when I turned around the rod was off the rigger and the rod was just starting to bury into the water...picked it up and felt it let go. Picked up a 3rd one going with the ebb in tight to the rock and then finished at about 11:30 with our limit on a fish in close but down close to the west end turn around. All in the typical 16 to 18 pound range..all those really bright longer springs with the smaller heads. I've been collecting DNA all summer so it will be interesting to hopefully see where these fish and others are heading.

Attachments

• fishpic.JPG
    fishpic.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 115
WOW. What a change from the weekend around the head and trap today. Beat it up pretty good today with little to show for it.
Ended up with one small spring and fed a sealion the only decent size spring we had on all day.
The Trap is bad for them right now, saw another fella suffer the same fate an hour after ours.
I'm sure the nothing tide all day had something to do with the slow action.

Of the 8 springs in the last 2 days 7 reds and 1 white.

Straight to shack this morning and picked up a mid size pink. Trolled over to Secretary but no luck except some shakers. Trolled back toward shack and landed a 10#. A few minutes later trolling closer through the trap got into a feisty 12# that popped the clip ripped some line. No flasher so lots of fun to play. Caught just after tide change at 11:30.

Both springs caught around 70 ft and both on Skinny G spoons. One cop car the other trap shack. Heard of some bigger pinks caught out at the tide lines. Everyone coming in seemed to have some fish. Good luck to all at the Cheanuh derby this week-end!

Scratched up an 18 off Sooke. 60', green everything. Lost another about 8-10lbs. A couple nets out. Seemed slow from what I saw.

Out today at the head 12-3 with nothing to write about. Friends back at the dock said there's a dead Sea lion at Aldridge up above the tide line with a flasher hanging out of its mouth. The big blonde bull. Hopefully someone can verify. I'll look for the mammal rescue number tomorrow.

Out today at the head 12-3 with nothing to write about. Friends back at the dock said there's a dead Sea lion at Aldridge up above the tide line with a flasher hanging out of its mouth. The big blonde bull. Hopefully someone can verify. I'll look for the mammal rescue number tomorrow.
Can you please ask them for my gear back...LOL

We got 6 today, 1 pink, 2 springs (biggest 14lbs) and 3 hatchery coho...long line released another 8 fish.
We moved around lots and tried lots of gear to find the fish.

Anyone fishing trap shack area, what depth are the springs hitting at currently some helpful advice appreciated

Fished the trap shack 12-3pm picked up one pink at 65 feet. Tried 45-75 feet and no luck. Few boats limited out with some nice fat ones.

Out after a couple days off and the fishing seems to have cooled a bit. We hit 3 in 8 hrs today, loosing the 1st after about 30 seconds landed the 2nd about 14 pounds then had a beauty hook up near the end of the trip only to get cut off by another boat. We didn't see that many fish hooked up during the 8 hrs, maybe 8-10 total.

Long time since last report, I'm guilty as I have been just lurking not reporting. Fishing solo today at secretary picked up a nice 13 lb spring on the west side around 10 am 55 ft on dr in 85 ft . Released a few pinks and around 130 caught my biggest spring ever at O'Brian east of secretary 77 ft on dr in 110 ft at 130 this afternoon. Weighed in at 35 lbs all on anchovy. Just 2 weeks late for the JDF derby.

Attachments

• IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 163
Fished Sooke Bay (Possession Point and west) on Friday. Arrived late 9:30 however received a tip at the ramp and the result was 3 nice smileys (all reds) an hour later. Fished the bottom in about 70 ft of water, herring in a clear UV Super Herring Teaser on one side, and an anchovy in a glow bloody nose on the other side. Both behind flashers, Betsy and a jellyfish. Best day's fishing for Springs this year.

Long time since last report, I'm guilty as I have been just lurking not reporting. Fishing solo today at secretary picked up a nice 13 lb spring on the west side around 10 am 55 ft on dr in 85 ft . Released a few pinks and around 130 caught my biggest spring ever at O'Brian east of secretary 77 ft on dr in 110 ft at 130 this afternoon. Weighed in at 35 lbs all on anchovy. Just 2 weeks late for the JDF derby.

Nice fish Chero.... It sure beats mine of 12lbs today.
Also next time wash the blood off the fish, it will take a much better picture.

Blood or no blood, that's a nice fish Chero, congrats.

Picked up a 17 and two 16# Friday
morning at Pedder. All 3 were wilds. Can bouy area,,80ft of water, 50-ft on DR. Purple haze flasher and red teaser head.. Saw a few others netted..

View attachment 35037

Attachments

• IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    494.8 KB · Views: 78
Back