Saltwater Kayak Fishing 2016

I might go for halibut but have to check the currents-- they were decent this week but I had too much going on to get out.
T2

what days do you go? Im off Mon. Tue. Wed. and may be able to drive down if you need a partner. and Id love to learn how to target them.

Hey norhdogboy. Sorry for not replying--I've been out of town this week. I seem to have lots going on over the next while so I'll have to postpone. I'll let you know when I'm next going out.
T2

life happens i broke my one rod tip and my sonar is out of action for a bit as well i may be out of action till Dec. Jan. but im working on a few projects to keep me busy.
what do you recommend a Harpoon or a gaff for Kayaking?
that's my next home build

I haven't logged nearly as many hours in the Yak this summer but still no luck with salmon. Until yesterday this is. I was out in the harbour in Vancouver pulling a deep six with an anchovie going on a leisurely paddle when all of the sudden my rod buckled over and started ripping. I grabbed the rod and leaned back into the fish as it was peeling line and had absolutely no chance of stopping it. It peeled about 150 yards of line and I saw it come up to the surface and boil. It was a big wake. Ha. About a minute later I had to turn the boat around for fear of spooling, took one hand off the rod to turn the rudder and the guy broke me off when given the slightest bit of slack.
Having never caught a salmon off the yak it was beyond exhilarating to feel a big fish from water level. I have caught some big fish before and this felt like one but I will never actually know.
I think it is time to respool with heavier main line (likely braid) and start using 30-40 lb leader material. What do you guys use?
Anyone have any Deep six's they want to sell in Vancouver?
Cherers

I haven't logged nearly as many hours in the Yak this summer but still no luck with salmon. Until yesterday this is. I was out in the harbour in Vancouver pulling a deep six with an anchovie going on a leisurely paddle when all of the sudden my rod buckled over and started ripping. I grabbed the rod and leaned back into the fish as it was peeling line and had absolutely no chance of stopping it. It peeled about 150 yards of line and I saw it come up to the surface and boil. It was a big wake. Ha. About a minute later I had to turn the boat around for fear of spooling, took one hand off the rod to turn the rudder and the guy broke me off when given the slightest bit of slack.
Having never caught a salmon off the yak it was beyond exhilarating to feel a big fish from water level. I have caught some big fish before and this felt like one but I will never actually know.
I think it is time to respool with heavier main line (likely braid) and start using 30-40 lb leader material. What do you guys use?
Anyone have any Deep six's they want to sell in Vancouver?
Cherers
I use 40 lb mono on the mainline and 40 lb flourocarbon on my leaders. That had to be the most exciting few seconds to experience! I will be giving the yak a solid do in a weeks time or so when the currents settle over here.
Good luck!
T2

I use 40 lb mono on the mainline and 40 lb flourocarbon on my leaders. That had to be the most exciting few seconds to experience! I will be giving the yak a solid do in a weeks time or so when the currents settle over here.
Good luck!
T2

It was crazy. I usually fish with a MR2 but don't like to use it in the yak - because things happen. I use a shimano reel in the yak. The line is old (not even sure how old as it is a back up from years ago). The reel is great and I can honestly say I have never heard the drag rip out the way it did yesterday - a different kind of noise! Now I am in the office totally distracted.

Yep, that's what happens on the biggies, just a different class of fish. Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago at east point in Renny. Spooled on a screamer. Good on you for getting your first taste of the exhilaration of the big kayak fish. Ha, if you weren't obsessed before, you are now, I know.

I had my first ling cod on last week. It was a good one to. He fought me for a wile then just as I got him to the yack I accidentally liftid his head out of the water. And that was it. He threw the hook and was gone.

I'd love to go with some guys before ground fish are closed at the end of September

Back