2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I would bet money these fish at the Breakwater are from the Net Pen Project stocked from Nitinat Lake.
Don't know if the clip them...rather suspect not and I am told there are some at DFO who are against allowing the Net Pen to continue.
Some guys on this site will know more.

I would bet money these fish at the Breakwater are from the Net Pen Project stocked from Nitinat Lake.
Don't know if the clip them...rather suspect not and I am told there are some at DFO who are against allowing the Net Pen to continue.
Some guys on this site will know more.

As far as I know esq anglers weren't allowed to release their smolts in esq harbour as they had been doing and they went to the SVIAC net pen in sooke. Their hasn't been an actual "net pen" around victoria for quite some time, the fish were just trucked down from nitnat and released off the ramp on the reserve in esquimalt harbour and hope for the best.

As far as I know esq anglers weren't allowed to release their smolts in esq harbour as they had been doing and they went to the SVIAC net pen in sooke. Their hasn't been an actual "net pen" around victoria for quite some time, the fish were just trucked down from nitnat and released off the ramp on the reserve in esquimalt harbour and hope for the best.

From the May minutes of the ACS BC:

Gary CATON reported on the meeting held April 27 between Esquimalt Anglers and DFO to review the reasons for DFO rejecting an EAA proposal for a chinook netpen at Ogden Point this year. Attending were David Willis (DFO-hatchery enhancement), Dale Desrochers (CA supervisor), Chantelle Nessman (South Island CA), Brad Beaith (DFO-South Coast Recreational Coordinator), Peter McCully (Goldstream Hatchery manager) and seven EAA executive.

Reasons given for lack of project support included insufficient ability to meet harvest objective, lack of a terminal river and the risk of straying.

The EAA passed a motion at their May 02 meeting to return the 98,000 Nitinat fry being held at Goldstream Hatchery to DFO for a decision on their release.

Gary also reported that he assisted the South Vancouver Island Anglers’ Coalition (SVIAC) with placing 100,000+ unmarked Nitinat chinook fry into their Sooke Harbour netpen on May 02. Another 100,000+ clipped and tagged Nitinat chinook will be moved into the seapen on May 03.

Sadly, might be needing to know this soon. Courtesy DFO website.
atl-eng.jpg

Things we're a tad slower today, but yesterday we enjoyed the best day of fishing we have ever experienced. We went 9/12 on springs and shook off a handful of pinks as well. We kept 5, 3 in the high teens, a 20, and a 24lb white. Released 4 in the teens as well. It's go time out there boys.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.PNG
    IMG_0971.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0979.PNG
    IMG_0979.PNG
    529.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0973.PNG
    IMG_0973.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
Things we're a tad slower today, but yesterday we enjoyed the best day of fishing we have ever experienced. We went 9/12 on springs and shook off a handful of pinks as well. We kept 5, 3 in the high teens, a 20, and a 24lb white. Released 4 in the teens as well. It's go time out there boys.
Now that's fishing!Good job there boys.That big whitey would be tasty in the smoker for sure.Just finished the last bit of fiberglassing on my boat and hopefully be in the water here soon enough to intercept a few at Pender Bluffs.

Hey guys took the long trip out to constanance bank today. Was out nice and early. It was a bit choppy but had great wind vs current for a good drift. Not a single bite. NADDA. We fished it 4 hrs and no luck. Went off to discovery for 2 more hours and was luck to get a legal ling.
was a bit hard as it was a 70 mile round trip to me up empty. Not sure what I was doing wrong or if there's just no Hali in the area. Any advice would be super greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fishing the breakwater for my first time.
Stabicraft keeps catching fish.
Bonked an 18# and a 12#
Was my 11 year anniversary and my wife wanted to go fishing.
So it was my daughter (5 yrs old)As the captain for the double header.

Bloody nose teaser heads small anchovies

I apologize now if I wasn't tacking properly
The place was a zoo I couldn't figure out the correct way with all the boats out there.

Isn't it right rod rocks ?
What stabicraft do you have, I've been eyeing them for quite some time...

.... Not sure what I was doing wrong or if there's just no Hali in the area. Any advice would be super greatly appreciated....
Many Halibut migrate back into the deeps after spring that's true all along the Island coast.

Hey guys took the long trip out to constanance bank today. Was out nice and early. It was a bit choppy but had great wind vs current for a good drift. Not a single bite. NADDA. We fished it 4 hrs and no luck. Went off to discovery for 2 more hours and was luck to get a legal ling.
was a bit hard as it was a 70 mile round trip to me up empty. Not sure what I was doing wrong or if there's just no Hali in the area. Any advice would be super greatly appreciated. Thanks
Summer months brings a lot of dog fish in to the Hali areas. Were you using bait or artificial gear? We anchored for Hali's NW from where you were fishing last week and managed one over sized Hali we released after long hours of fishing and releasing dog fish after dog fish. Had both bait and artificial down and the dog fish ate every chunk of bait we put down. We were fishing pretty deep too at 400' so bringing those suckers up from that depth over and over again can be a pain in the butt. Will put much more time in for the Hali's when the dog's are gone.

Fished McCauley from 6am to 12:30pm today with nothing but 2 little pinks. saw 2 decent salmon netted. What a change from earlier in the week.

Reactions: abl
Same for us. Had one good hit at around 7:30, but lost it at the boat. Nothing after that. The creel guy said there were a few fish coming in early, but not much later on.

Fished Mcauley and breakwater 7- 12 today. Only 5 bites in 5 hours, so seemed kinda slow, but those produced our limit of 21, 18, 14 & 8 lb springs. There was a brief bite at breakwater from 8-8:30 where we saw about 6 fish caught then dead til 11 where we netted couple off green can. 60' was magic depth all on bait. The 14 was a whitey. Creel guy had about 20 fish recorded by noon.

Attachments

• Ricky 21.jpg
    Ricky 21.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 48
Out from 1-3 with the kids and not a sniff. Fished from the can to brochie and back.
Creeling guy said everything happened before noon.

beautiful boat ride regardless.

Back