2017 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Heading to Lasqueti for a few days this week. Would love to put a few springs and pinks in the boat. Any good ideas? Tides, tackle, locations? Thanks!

i heard a 23 footer hit the breakwater and sunk last night one guy in hospital any details ?
Two guys hit the breakwater at 3:00am. Both found floating in the harbour at 5:00am. One still in the hospital. How they survived that is beyond me. Boat was totally destroyed.

Winner was only 23 pounds this year. Fishing was spotty, particularly on Saturday but the wind Saturday did limit the morning fishery. Sunday morning was picture perfect weather.
Really well run "fun" derby. Over 800 raffle tickets sold this year.

Rumour of a 31 lb chinook caught at mouth of little Q, fact or fiction??
Fact - boats are starting to fish the mouth.

Scotty rocket launchers do well with weighted mooching rods BUT if you crank your rod down off a rigger, they are well known to snap at the post.
Check your posts for cracks!

Out yesterday off F.C. from 11:30 am until 7:30 pm. Fished both tide changes.

Absolute crap show for floating and suspended weed. Didn't make much difference unless you went way the heck out past the humps into deeper water. Even then there was some.

But there were more fish markings in shallower water inshore when the high slack showed up. 140 to 170ft bottom depth..

The "No Bananas" spoon proved exactly as advertised . We never caught a single banana. Didn't work on fish either.

Tried all depths here there and everywhere and a bucketload of different spoons, hoochies and flashers.

But for a few tiny Coho there was nothing.

Until about 7 p.m....when we caught two Pinks about 6lbs each. Purple haze flasher and hoochies as per pic. Purple Haze flasher has been my best flasher this year for what I've caught so far...which this year isn't much. Flasher looks blueish in pic but it's purple.

IMG_0543.JPG

Managed to kill four today from 8lbs to 18lbs. Lost two nice ones to a stupid seal (forgot the shotgun) Again all fish on anchovies.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0812.jpg
    IMG_0812.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 103
I was right in the salish sea tight to the island yah I was down at the river, it's been going good for about a week now. Trophy it's true but the tyee pins only feel good when truly deserved

I was right in the salish sea tight to the island yah I was down at the river, it's been going good for about a week now. Trophy it's true but the tyee pins only feel good when truly deserved
Thanks for the report coyotespoon may give it a try this weekend.

Back