2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

I had such a positive experience at the derby this weekend. Was in second place for a while on Saturday with a 16 something which was quickly knocked, but nonetheless, hooked Into a ton of fish, ate great food, met lots of super cool local anglers, and all in all, had an unforgettable experience.
Me and my buddies were originally hesitant, mainly because we didn't know if $300 each was worth it, but in the end, it forced us to go fishing Saturday, which we wouldn't have done after looking at the forecast. Well Saturday turned out to be one of our best days locally ever, until today. Was ganagbusters for about an hour and a half at one point.
Lots of New experiences. One thing I found particularly awesome was when 4 PM rolled around a fleet of 50+ boats would storm towards the north arm and head up the river together as if headed out to war. Pretty cool to be part of the fleet!
Will be going back next year for sure.

It used to be $1500 for the boat to a max of 4 Anglers in th first couple of years. I've not participated the last few but you can't order the weather...2 years ago it was a screaming gale....

Really hoping this season holds up, seeing flashes of how hot it was back in 2015. Heading out on my pals 26' wolf today will report back.
Out at the north arm and can't keep the shakers off! Where's your daddy!!!

What a great derby weekend as others have mentioned! A roller coaster of weather, fishing, good times and f ups! :)

Sounds like lots of derby entrants had a 'winner' on their line but couldn't quite get it in. I was very surprised to see that a 22lb fish help up to be the winner but good on them. Our derby days consisted of a few very hot bites surrounded by slow fishing with lots of dogfish/pinks. When the bite was on it was crazy good tho. Nice to see the majority of boaters in the pack at sandheads tried to keep there head on a swivel and steer clear of other boats.... tho not everyone fell into that category. There were a few guys out there that didn't seem to care about the other 100 boats around them and would just plow through on their tack while others scramble to get out of their way. The only other lame thing I saw was when boats pulled lines and headed home they didn't have the courtesy of slowing moving out of the pack so that they are either offshore or way inshore and not skirting by the boats that are fishing. I saw a 31' Whaler take off and nearly swamp a smaller 16' tinny with his giant wake. Note to Whaler: Your wake is at its LARGEST when you are moving at 10knots so you aren't helping by doing that!!!!

anyways, great to see some nice waves of fish moving into the Fraser and perhaps even a few of them got past the gauntlet that was set up at sandheads this past weekend. I talked to Tonelli at the derby and he said next year they may up it to 55 boats (from 50) but as others have mentioned it will be sold out again so make sure you get in early if you want to partake. The venue was really cool this year with the outdoor covered area at Pier 73 and overall I think this derby gets better and better each year. Big thanks to all of the organizers, sponsors and volunteers (especially those weigh boats!) who put it on. Will be back again next year.

beauty fish being caught im super jealous sitting here in the okanagan lol does anyone know who won the boat from the derby!?!?!

I am sitting in my air conditioned office looking out the window at the sunshine and reading reports about the fishing going off five minutes from the dock. I feel like I am in jail.

p.s. very, very jealous of anyone fortunate enough to be out there the last couple days.

TL22.JPG IMG_3505.JPG Yup another great afternoon at the south arm. 40-70' hootchies and anchovies. Landed numerous pinks, a Sockeye and these Springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back