Hooks for Anchovy Teaser Rigs

Birdman

Have an ongoing battle trying to find the ideal hook for my teaser head rigs. In the last 2 years I have straightened various sizes of the owner cutting point trebles (despite the hefty pricetag!) and VMC permasteel conecuts. I used to run the eagle claw 3x bronze trebles with the clawpoint but haven't been able to find them on the mid-island for a while. I know this has been discussed in the past but if there are any updated suggestions (or leads on where I can find those eagle claws) I'm all ears!

Harbour Chandler has some nice ones pretied on 40lb with red stingers. Not cheap, but not expensive for what you get, considering the time it'll save you.

Have an ongoing battle trying to find the ideal hook for my teaser head rigs. In the last 2 years I have straightened various sizes of the owner cutting point trebles (despite the hefty pricetag!) and VMC permasteel conecuts. I used to run the eagle claw 3x bronze trebles with the clawpoint but haven't been able to find them on the mid-island for a while. I know this has been discussed in the past but if there are any updated suggestions (or leads on where I can find those eagle claws) I'm all ears!

I got my last batch of those 3x Lazer sharps at Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville

The owner cutting point trebles are weaker then the needle point trebles.....I use vmc fishfighter 6x strong and owner needle point. The fishfighter has never let me down once and I've pulled in some hogs the last couple years. The 6x are hard to find but talked to the rep a month ago and they are gonna be more readily available in cda since they are opening up a warehouse in cda

Ditch the trebles altogether and fish a single....you will find you hook more fish and they stay on too. :) there's your FM tip of the day...reduced costs, no straightening out and no f'n clusterfiddle in the net. Never going back....

Ditch the trebles altogether and fish a single....you will find you hook more fish and they stay on too. :) there's your FM tip of the day...reduced costs, no straightening out and no f'n clusterfiddle in the net. Never going back....

Interesting. Been thinking about this a lot. Trebles are a pain. What size single?

Maybe, but not on my boat today. I ran hootchies almost all day but my buddy ran anchovy. He lost fish after fish on singles. Then he switched over to a leader/head/treble I had (tied up by another fishing buddy who knows his anchovies) and landed fish after fish.

But whatever works for ya

I prefer the VMC when I can get them, find they dull fast, but never rust, so run a stone over them before dropping them in.

When in doubt, read and follow the instructions...

http://thescienceofsalmonfishing.com/preview/Teaser Head Herring.pdf
http://www.gibbsdelta.com/pdfs/RhysDavis_Catalogue.pdf

For teasers I run glow head, jdf pins, gammy treble followed by a gamy single trailer. I haven't had many foul ups with the net catching the trailer & the fish getting off. I switched from a larger siwash J hook & swivel as the treble allows me to hook it's back & get my chovie roll on.

My 2c.

Thanks for the replies so far.the last few straightening incidents were light coho hitsthat didn't even trip off the rigger. Several of the others were just as the chinook took its 2nd run and the flasher turned sideways.

Thanks for the replies so far.the last few straightening incidents were light coho hitsthat didn't even trip off the rigger. Several of the others were just as the chinook took its 2nd run and the flasher turned sideways.

Bizarre. Has to make wonder if quality has gone down. VMC hooks are ridiculously strong.

Interesting. Been thinking about this a lot. Trebles are a pain. What size single?

Depends on the Bait size but usually 4/0-6/0 works well. Run a wire into the bait to keep the curve and when they are on....they are on. I have used 8/0 Gamakatsus and Owners. Hook-Land %age was 100% on that trip.

Used to run strip with a 5/0 and I just copied the idea only the difference is that Anchovies require a curve. A few lake fishers back east use this technique as well.

Line test is 40-50. Other guys use the protective tubing over the line but I do not. Makes high volume leader tying a snap.

Works with Hoochies and spoons just fine....bait it does too!

Depends on the Bait size but usually 4/0-6/0 works well. Run a wire into the bait to keep the curve and when they are on....they are on. I have used 8/0 Gamakatsus and Owners. Hook-Land %age was 100% on that trip.

Used to run strip with a 5/0 and I just copied the idea only the difference is that Anchovies require a curve. A few lake fishers back east use this technique as well.

Line test is 40-50. Other guys use the protective tubing over the line but I do not. Makes high volume leader tying a snap.

Works with Hoochies and spoons just fine....bait it does too!

Do you have a pic of how you rig the singles? Do you just use steel bailing wire to tune the chovy?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Going to try the eagle claw 3x in brass + the owner 3x needle point this weekend in Bamfield. Will report back on results. Found the eagle claws @ PNT, thanks Fishtofino.

I use a red single 5/0 Gamakatsu as a stinger behind a regular 5/0 Gamakatsu. In a couple of decades of year-round fishing on Haida Gwaii using either those or Eagle Claw Lazer singles, I've never straightened a hook. I'd have to think that a lighter hand in playing the fish might be a big part of the answer to your problem..

Im running 1/0 treble and a 5/0 gammy octupus for a stinger. I used to run a treble stinger but got s little much with the carnage on shakers etc. Also way easier on the net bag.

Back