Campbell River

Sandy pool campbell riv is midway between logging bridge and north bound hyw bridge,acess from logging bridge side.As these pinks will be freash run try freash water marina on a flood tide ,bakie island point on the flood.You have a kak so fish just below the boundery at maple street.Check maple street on flood .Sit with rod in hand on the patio at the lodge pub and watch the fish porpoise up the rapids on flood tide.yes on the flood you will see big springs ,pinks as of aug 1.good luck.there might be a trail down to the north side of river opposite sandy pool at dollyvarden rd.

I went for a prop and came back with intell.20th maple river bottom livers say they swam with pinks and spings jumping around them last night.1st pic is to the north and downstream.2nd pic is sw upstream .lodge that alows fishers 3rd pic.yes i seen fish as it was low tide.the black burry bush is bigger and soon in years will remove viewing of fishDSCF2397.JPG

DSCF2395.JPG DSCF2396.JPGLast post is of pub, maple street is of viewing point .Low tide I seen schools holding.pritty shure there comming in and out with tide .

Any reports? By chance I will be in Campbell river for a couple days starting tomorrow. Never fished it before but am familiar with pinks in other north island rivers.

I fished it yesterday (July 30th). I got one at the Quinsam confluence and one up a little higher. The river isn't black with them yet but there are a few green ribbons hugging the edge of the fast water. One guy float fishing on the opposite bank was hooking them fairly regular. Water is warm so you might as well leave your waders at home. Pretty sure you can't keep them upstream from the Quinsam.

They are there in pockets. I fished for an hour on Friday morning. Got one. It was quiet all around me until I noticed a guy fishing by himself a hundred yards down in inconspicuous water nail three in a 15 minutes. So I moved towards him while staying well upstream of him just so the tail of end of my drift got to the top of the small slick he was working and got the one but it was time to leave.

He tagged another one as soon as I got there, then a break to too clean them. He had a friend come down and carry them away. But he sat on the bank (rod in hand but not fishing any longer) giving tips to the others who started to converge on the spot. He was short floating a sparse, pale pink fly with a bit of flash. Seemed ready to get back out there as soon as a new crop of anglers came in or others forgot he already had his limit.

It was interesting, not much of any of the regular go-to presentations were getting a sniff.

Just got back from a week of babysitting my grand daughter in Campbell River. Managed to get out for an hour or so each day.

Seems like they are late but starting to arrive. They are moving up in pockets of 50-100 fish. If you hit a pocket of fish, the action is great for about a half hour and then they move on. They are a decent size and in good shape.

They are moving into the Quinsam and there is a good sized school at the counting fence. Just one of those years that you have to be patient and prospect a bit.

Just drove by the river on my way to the dump and saw many many vehicles parked and many many anglers fishing.

Saw a couple carrying a stringer of what looked to be eight fish walking down the road too, so I presume retention is on tap.

Lots of Pinks passing through the Tyee Pool the last couple of days also, so should be good going forward.

Take care.

Thanks for the report Dave. Do the pinks stage in the tyee pools at all?

I checked last week but didn't see any on the pool or to the estuary.

Thanks..

Thanks for the report Dave. Do the pinks stage in the tyee pools at all?

I checked last week but didn't see any on the pool or to the estuary.

Thanks..

We see them cavorting in the Pool for sure but not sure if that's a staging area or perhaps further into the estuary is where they hang.

Last night I thought we'd hooked a Pink on the surface strike when Bill was holding the weight.

I've never seen anyone having any success off the beach along the Spit on Pinks but then I'm not always out there looking either.

Not much help I'm afraid. LOL

Take care.

Thanks for that Dave, of course you have much bigger critters in mind when rowing the tyee pool. My buddy always laugh at me, saying his cut plug bait is almost as big as some of the pinks we were catching.

I do know the pinks staged from below the high way bridges, just wasn't sure how far down as well. Maybe they don't need to due to the amount of water that always available in the Campbell.

Take care.

Back