What's for dinner tonight ?

Last night fried Salmon and Russets
Salmon coated with a Cajun breader. Fried in 350 degree oil for a minute and a half.
Russet taters coated in a Southern Chicken breader and fried in oil for 15 minutes
Whipped up a batch of eazy squeezy tarter sauce to go along with the Salmon

Saturday night went with beef. Brisket. Total smoke time 12 hours

Beautiful smoke ring on that brisket...hard to beat that hey?

Smoked chicken thighs. Done in a slightly modified offset smoker.

And potato salad!

Love smoked chicken. One of my favorite quick cheats if you don't want to wait a couple of hours plus the hassle of the charcoal/wood is to do cedar planked boneless skinless chicken thighs. I prefer the Costco cedar planks, done in 20 minutes.

Photo 2017-05-01, 6 22 38 PM.jpg

Pulled some scotch eggs out of the smoker, very tasty.
First time making them, very happy with the results and will be making them again.
Italian sausage meat wrapped around a peeled hard boiled egg, with some rub and then a BBQ sauce to glaze. Smoked them until the meat was cooked.

Last edited:
My wife is addicted to the cast iron cooking. She's got so many different shapes and sizes of cast iron pans, dutch ovens, etc..she's always bragging how "seasoned" her cast iron pans are lol and honestly they are almost non stick cause they are seasoned so well. She says there's tricks how to season and oil them etc..She says the cheap Chinese cast iron won't season well and rust immediately even after trying to get them seasoned. Things sure seam to taste better cooked well in cast iron. The old ones are supposed to be the best quality apparently.

Anybody else do cast iron Dutch oven cooking with charcoals? This is a new thing for me and it's pretty fun. Chicken with potatoes carrots onions and garlic with a rosemary based rub. Super delicious.
View attachment 33221
View attachment 33222
View attachment 33224
View attachment 33225

Big fan of dutchies and charcoal. We'll stack a few of em up camping, one with some kind of meat and veg, one with a simple desert from cake mix and canned peaches or something and one with a loaf of no knead bread.

IMGP3895_zpsliykaddv.jpg

Baked Halibut w/Basmati

recipe can be found on you tube, key is the broth. i take a halibut carcass and simmer that with seasoning,s to get an amazing thick broth full of halibut meat already.... some keys to your broth,,, worschestor sauce,,,brown sugar, good white wine , fish sauce,,, if you use mussels make dam sure theyre alive, eating like reeltime said,,good bread and a great pinot noir

View attachment 35476
Pulled pork for dinner tonight, these pork butts are done- about 10 hours in the smoker.
Just added the last layer of mop sauce, the bark is beautiful.
My buddy joked that they look burnt, just for that I'm not giving him any more beer.
good lookin Bark! damn that looks good ,hope we get the pull pork pic

IMG_0459.JPG
This was the best pic I have, they all seemed blurry.
We were in a hurry to eat and there was a frenzy of hands stealing samples.

Have some leftover that will be used for pulled pork nachos, with some of my smoked cheedar cheese grated on top.
Good healthy eating;)

Beer battered Spring Salmon deboned fillet pieces, baked garlic butter chive cheese Spot Prawns, sautéed lemon herb butter Spot Prawns, fresh baked warm rolls, coleslaw and an ice cold brew.

My daughters love the beer battered Spring and we all fight over the Prawns like we haven't eatin in a week lol.

View attachment 33155 View attachment 33156 View attachment 33157 View attachment 33158 View attachment 33159

OMG-- just found this------ culinary orgasm!!!!!

Back