Educate us please

All these tips are extra meaningful at a place like cattle point where there is not dock and boats have to mill around on the water waiting their turn. Takes me about 2 mins to launch and maybe 3 to recover my 14 ft lund.

Totally do able. Do exactly that in my 28' and have seen much larger boats do the same.
Be prepared to go in when at the launch as well as coming out of the water. Till then stay out of the way and let others that are prepared be on their way!!

When I was somewhat younger I fished with a much older guy in his 17 foot boat. He was both lacking in confidence and not very good at backing up his boat and trailer and launching and retrieving so i did it for him, including backing down his long narrow driveway and the tight turn at the end into the garage. I did not really understand it then but now that I am older I have a lot more empathy. The things that you could do easily at one time, get more difficult with age and related health issues, so give the old guys a break if they are having difficulty and taking too long at the launch; one day it may be you. As for myself, with the increasing years, I am lucky to have the resources to leave my boat at the marina all year long in a slip or on land storage. I now pay the marina operator to launch and retrieve the boat, which is mostly paid for in fuel savings for the big gas hog truck I don't have to drive out. I have seen too many major screw ups at launches including guys dropping the boat short and grinding the glass hull on the concrete trying to push it into the water or cracking the leg on an inboard/outboard resulting in leg oil on the surface all over the bay and a destroyed prop. With age and declining skills, the last thing I would want to do now is launching and retrieving a boat on every fishing trip and probably taking too long to do it.
Yes what you said. Have more patience with older people and offer to help were all going down the same road weather we like it or not......

Pet peeve at boat ramp when loading to haul out...

Question - who gets to go next?

Answer - the rig and trailer that backs down the ramp next... not the boat that cut to the front and is blocking your path

How about the anglers that use their boat once a year and do nothing to the boat before the hook the trailer to the truck. They get to the launch ramp and can’t get the bow wench to unhook or disengage. After battling that issue they finally get the boat into the water and then the boat doesn’t start.

I have also witnessed twice the angler that with a trailer with rollers disconnect their trailer tie down and bow wench before backing down the launch ramp. Each time the boat ended up on the launch ramp. One guy said screw it and had several people push his boat to the water to float it while the other person waited for High Tide. Lots of friends were made that day.

When it comes to trolling in a pack it is best to troll in a straight line and give anglers fortunate enough to catch a fish the room needed to fight their fish by pulling out of line. Karma has a way if coming back, would you like to lose a long awaited fish to the disrespectful angler.

Also boaters need to apply the rules of right away (Superior Tonnage) if they chose to zigzag their trolling patterns in crowded pacts. I have given up on these idiots and set my auto pilot on a course and only deviate for those lucky anglers that caught a fish. You would be surprised how many times a guy in a 18 foot boat flips me the bird for not deviating my 40 foot sport fishing boats course so he can continue zigzagging his way through a pack.

Please be honest and tell Transport Canada your mentality. You most definitely deserve a ticket.
You're in a small craft just like everybody else

Is the "superior tonnage" belief on the water, the same belief that exists on land when a jacked up 3/4 ton thinks it owns the road and makes the rules such that everyone needs to bow down to it? Haha

Yes what you said. Have more patience with older people and offer to help were all going down the same road weather we like it or not......

That is not a bad point-I am 70 -launching a podded 24 ft Orca with a 300 Yammi-I always appreciate help if it speeds things up but I have to say as the years have rolled by my trailer and boat have got better- because I am not as strong as I once was I have an electric winch, because I can no longer push as I once did I have UHMW plus 4 X12"stolz centre line rollers to make loading quicker and easier. Old age is not an excuse or a reason to have a poorly equipped trailer or boat which breaks down and holds other boaters up. Yeah I'm older--I don't like it but I sure as hell am not going to use that as an excuse for poor etiquette on the ramp or on the water!!

That is not a bad point-I am 70 -launching a podded 24 ft Orca with a 300 Yammi-I always appreciate help if it speeds things up but I have to say as the years have rolled by my trailer and boat have got better- because I am not as strong as I once was I have an electric winch, because I can no longer push as I once did I have UHMW plus 4 X12"stolz centre line rollers to make loading quicker and easier. Old age is not an excuse or a reason to have a poorly equipped trailer or boat which breaks down and holds other boaters up. Yeah I'm older--I don't like it but I sure as hell am not going to use that as an excuse for poor etiquette on the ramp or on the water!!
Well Done SF. You are definitely saying "screw you" to growing older , approaching the subject with a good deal of forethought and will not go quietly into that good nite. My hat off to you sir.

When retrieving, do not power your boat onto your trailer. It may save a bit of winching, but it
  • erodes away the gravel at the end of the concrete,
  • sucks sediment into your water pump,
  • makes you look stupid. :rolleyes:

When retrieving, do not power your boat onto your trailer. It may save a bit of winching, but it

so how do you square off a 25' plus boat on a trailer? i do this all the time and it saves everybody the time it would take to push the boat off re-align and repeat, 5-6 times... one shot on. square up the butt end using throttle and steering, small bump of more power to lock it in, climb over bow rail onto trailer and finish her off with a couple cranks.. i like looking smart while others dont know what they are doing. call me stupid

Well if you can do it without hammering on the thrust and removing a bunch of gravel, great. That will prevent you from looking stupid!

what length is your boat stupid? it the easiest way to align a 26' + boat on a trailer otherwise the boat is looking for the trailer and looking stupid!

I suggest you continue using your engine to align your 26 foot boat. It's better to have one guy think you look stupid than to have everybody think you look stupid

This can't be said enough times. If you see the port side of a boat in front of you, they have the right of way and in almost every situation you should turn right not left. If you turn left you're just increasing the chance of a collision, causing your courses to converge.

Last edited:
what length is your boat stupid? it the easiest way to align a 26' + boat on a trailer otherwise the boat is looking for the trailer and looking stupid!
Now now gentlemen-not everyone realizes the difficulties with a large boat-perhaps they will graduate one day and have to try and get a large boat on a trailer quickly and efficiently--however this thread was I believe to help educate each other and thereby foster a little understanding and courtesy among our fishing brethren. I try not to spit gravel, screwing my impellor and I only use as much power as needed-also you should also note the prop usually is not in the normal position but quite raised. I had no idea-frankly that anyone took offense to this method so I will endeavor to keep it down to a dull roar. I don't always power on-if the ramp is good and there is a float beside it there is no need. So lets keep it civil and move along to other points-probably what got us onto this thread in the first place. LOL

Guess that makes me stupid. I drive my boat on the trailer when i get a service, we tie up the ramp for about 2.5 minutes max

Now now gentlemen-not everyone realizes the difficulties with a large boat-perhaps they will graduate one day and have to try and get a large boat on a trailer quickly and efficiently--however this thread was I believe to help educate each other and thereby foster a little understanding and courtesy among our fishing brethren. I try not to spit gravel, screwing my impellor and I only use as much power as needed-also you should also note the prop usually is not in the normal position but quite raised. I had no idea-frankly that anyone took offense to this method so I will endeavor to keep it down to a dull roar. I don't always power on-if the ramp is good and there is a float beside it there is no need. So lets keep it civil and move along to other points-probably what got us onto this thread in the first place. LOL
You'd make a hell of a referee ;)

I drive my little boat on to the trailer, otherwise I'm wading around in the water and it takes 5x longer. Trimming up my motor and a light touch of the throttle is all it takes. Not sure I have ever seen someone equate efficiency to stupidity, but I guess everyone has an opinion?

Back