looking at adding a autopilot

Just finished installing a Simrad a/p.... boat has stern drive with kicker on the swim grid.
Used a liquid tie bar (valve) so the kicker and stern drive steer when trolling on kicker.
Installation was more involved than if the kicker was attached with solid tie bar to the main.
Fished the boat on the weekend after a quick calibration and setup and am pleased with the result so far.
I think we will see more a/p on boats 18 ft and up in the years to come.
I would also reccomend a full a/p plumbed into the steering rather than a remote control steering device.

Kristo, what did that set you back by the time you were done? That is the type of system that I am interested in but it might be a little cost prohibitive. That being said so far I am doing far better at staying on budget with my build than I anticipated.

Brian

has anyone got a 1420 com nav pilot?
i have a 25' welded alum boat with 150 yamaha ...and 9.9 kicker with rod to main engine....
not sure if this 1420 model will steer it at trolling speed???
I used Com nav exclusively when i commie trolled....but different application with these little boats and outboards????
But i need a auto pilot as this boat drives me nuts as will turn 180 in blink of a eye.
experienced info please?

Yes I have the 1420 on my 22 Seasport and have had it over 20 years....works great. Tips..put pump somewhere to soundproof and get the Teleflex smart stick rudder follower. You won't be dissapointed. Thus system was made and calibrated for smaller boats with outboards or IO's

Yes I have the 1420 on my 22 Seasport and have had it over 20 years....works great. Tips..put pump somewhere to soundproof and get the Teleflex smart stick rudder follower. You won't be dissapointed. Thus system was made and calibrated for smaller boats with outboards or IO's

thanks Profisher... i,m going out to talk to comnav techie on tuesday...and i think i,m going to get one.
did you do your own install? or did u get a dealer to do it?
thanks for the sound/noise info... will build a box for the pump and set some thick rubber under it.

Installed mine myself...used a class 1 compass instead of fluxgate on mine..not sure if it makes a difference. I think there are different pumps to choose from and that would be a question for Comnav...what is a quieter pump if there is that option. The hardest part of installing is finding places for the pieces and routing the wires...otherwise it is pretty straight forward.

bought the 1420 today...from Roton on granville island.
he has installed many and says will be perfect for my boat...(he has seen it a few times)
they will install next week , i,m excited as my boat loves to do the 180....
i,ll post when job complete.

bought the 1420 today...from Roton on granville island.
he has installed many and says will be perfect for my boat...(he has seen it a few times)
they will install next week , i,m excited as my boat loves to do the 180....
i,ll post when job complete.
how much for the 1420 without install?

has anyone got a 1420 com nav pilot?
i have a 25' welded alum boat with 150 yamaha ...and 9.9 kicker with rod to main engine....
not sure if this 1420 model will steer it at trolling speed???
I used Com nav exclusively when i commie trolled....but different application with these little boats and outboards????
But i need a auto pilot as this boat drives me nuts as will turn 180 in blink of a eye.
experienced info please?

So this system drives both kicker and main? Does it have a wireless remote?

i dont need a remote...just the dash board mounted push button control..
a bit $$ at 2800.xx but its comnav...which i have had many before and are awesome..
yes will work for both kicker and main..because they are linked steering system.
will post report when installed.

Yes looking forward to review and pictures as well. How small of a craft will that system work for. I have a friend with an 18 footer that is looking for an Auto Pilot system.

Oly

I installed mine back when the 1420 was new on the market back in the 90's. The only problem I had was back then they only had two choices for rudder followers. (the part that tells the computer what the helm position is and when it reaches its port and starboard extreme limits) Back then if you had an inboard outboard application you would buy the 1420 with a rotary type follower. If an outboard application they offered a linear follower...essentially a stainless outer tube with an inner cylinder that slid in and out as the outboard was turned. Its problem was that the seal would fail and salt water would get into the follower and as you know electronics and salt water don't do well together. Now Teleflex makes a Smart Stick (rudder follower) which has no moving parts and receives the rudder position by way of a magnet attached to the hydraulic steering cylinder. As the steering cylinder travels back and forth the smart stick detects the position of the magnet and tells the processor this info. I've had the Smart Stick for 5 years and no issues since.
The 1420 does have 2 settings (call it channels) so you can set up the sensitively on one channel low for high speed operation where you don't want quick and big helm movements and then on the 2nd channel really sensitive for your trolling slow speed operation where you want quick response in windy conditions. BTW I never let the pilot run the boat at higher speeds...if you need to avoid something in the water quickly, you don't to have to disengage the pilot so you can steer manually. You would have already hit what you wanted to avoid.

I installed mine back when the 1420 was new on the market back in the 90's. The only problem I had was back then they only had two choices for rudder followers. (the part that tells the computer what the helm position is and when it reaches its port and starboard extreme limits) Back then if you had an inboard outboard application you would buy the 1420 with a rotary type follower. If an outboard application they offered a linear follower...essentially a stainless outer tube with an inner cylinder that slid in and out as the outboard was turned. Its problem was that the seal would fail and salt water would get into the follower and as you know electronics and salt water don't do well together. Now Teleflex makes a Smart Stick (rudder follower) which has no moving parts and receives the rudder position by way of a magnet attached to the hydraulic steering cylinder. As the steering cylinder travels back and forth the smart stick detects the position of the magnet and tells the processor this info. I've had the Smart Stick for 5 years and no issues since.
The 1420 does have 2 settings (call it channels) so you can set up the sensitively on one channel low for high speed operation where you don't want quick and big helm movements and then on the 2nd channel really sensitive for your trolling slow speed operation where you want quick response in windy conditions. BTW I never let the pilot run the boat at higher speeds...if you need to avoid something in the water quickly, you don't to have to disengage the pilot so you can steer manually. You would have already hit what you wanted to avoid.
i heard at speed you want a jog stick

Kristo, what did that set you back by the time you were done? That is the type of system that I am interested in but it might be a little cost prohibitive. That being said so far I am doing far better at staying on budget with my build than I anticipated.

Brian
I havent added it all up however roughly just under 4 grand worth of parts

I also added a 2nd female plug end for the control pad so ai can control the auto pilot from 2 locations. I have plug ins and control pad mounts close to the front and rear helms. I'll post pics later when I'm back from my morning trip.

upload_2017-8-16_18-25-36.pngupload_2017-8-16_18-27-35.pngupload_2017-8-16_18-29-17.pngupload_2017-8-16_18-29-45.png

First picture shows where the key pad sits next to the front helm with the plug to the right. Next picture is the spare key pad snap in mounting bracket for the key pad out by my read helm station, the 3rd picture is the spare female socket for the key pad plug and the last pic is the key pad snapped into the rear mounting bracket. You can see the pilot processor in the 1st picture below and behind the helm wheel.

Wondering if its installed yet and how you like it?

Not installed yet.....
as i have been away ,
am back in couple days and Roton techy has 1420 and all the parts ready for the install.
I wanted to be there for the install....so a minor delay.
Worst part about being away is reading about the slab bonking that i missed.
I will post pics and opinion when done.....

Back