Launch ramps

Cates is $20 (maybe a dollar or 2 more now, not sure), MacDonald beach is $12, Vanier is $20, those are all very reasonable prices imho. Lionsgate is expensive because they don't really have the parking as they are full for the summer and it can be tough enough for those that pay full moorage there when really busy. Ambelside had very few parking spots so not many could really use it if you had a trailer. I can't see where anywhere in westvan is really feasible at a reasonable cost. Imho approaching the first nations for a launch site and parking makes the most sense for the capilano area, sewer bay again maybe a possibility.

Cates is $20 (maybe a dollar or 2 more now, not sure), MacDonald beach is $12, Vanier is $20, those are all very reasonable prices imho. Lionsgate is expensive because they don't really have the parking as they are full for the summer and it can be tough enough for those that pay full moorage there when really busy. Ambelside had very few parking spots so not many could really use it if you had a trailer. I can't see where anywhere in westvan is really feasible at a reasonable cost. Imho approaching the first nations for a launch site and parking makes the most sense for the capilano area, sewer bay again maybe a possibility.
Sewer bay is too shallow and can't be used by trailerable vessles on average low tide. There's an old ramp on the native land that stays way out on dry land with a low tide. There isnt really a lot of options in West Van if you think of safe access for general public. Ambleside never was a safe and feasible launch either.

Ambelside has never been the best choice but it has been there for some 35 -40 yrs with updates along the way. One of the biggest issues is the build up of sand over the years due to current and wave action. I can't remember the last time it had been cleaned out but it would need it again. Although there wasn't much parking there was plenty at the park for free and at 5:30 - 10:00 in the morning it was never a problem. In the history of the ramp there has never been a documented incident between other users and boat owners.
The proposed ramp site is just west of the Totem Groyne, I believe it is called the welcome man to some. There is a gravel area that is currently used for Ambelside overflow which could be used as trailer parking. There is plenty of info on this but I can't seem to link this up and get it on here. If you are interested in this and if you own a trailered boat you should be, then message me and I will link you to the ABG (Ambelside Boaters Group) and you can be placed on the email list. They have done a lot of work on this since it closed. Unfortunately due to health I could not attend the last council meeting. I'm sure that Andre or Phil would be more than happy to bring anyone up to speed. Part of the problem is there are not enough people with a West Van address standing up and being heard. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

would be great if whomever the power plant operator is in ioco to open a pay per use launch with a parking area.. totally possible with its location and room. . same with the private marina at the end of ioco.. city most likely would not give them permits tho. i believe port moody residents can get an annual for 180.00

would be great if whomever the power plant operator is in ioco to open a pay per use launch with a parking area.. totally possible with its location and room. . same with the private marina at the end of ioco.. city most likely would not give them permits tho. i believe port moody residents can get an annual for 180.00
What's wrong with rocky point???? A launch on ioco wouldn't be any better than rocky point. Still a 25 minute run to fishing grounds.

The only thing you have to watch out for on the lowest tides is letting your trailer tires go past the end of the concrete ramp. Saw 2 empty trailers stuck this year. its a good foot and a half drop on the west side of the ramp.

What's wrong with rocky point???? A launch on ioco wouldn't be any better than rocky point. Still a 25 minute run to fishing grounds.

Less googans. Possibly a cheaper launch. More parking without a bylaw officer looking to reach quotas. No kayak sailing club plugging up the parking/warf and water! I could go on....

Back