2017 Tuna Adventures

I use 200# as well because there is a slight chance at something amazing happening and you don't have a chance with any thing less that 200# in fact I think 200# is light for what could happen.
I had a large salmon snap explode on me one day out there. Something big hit the short hand like and when it broke it made a loud bang.

i just talked to my commie buddy who came in and is changing over to another fishery.
He said NO Tuna in BC waters , and fishing is FAR off shore...150-300 miles and below the line. And it was poor and scratchy.
Just one of those years.
So stick with salmon.

Consensus from boats south of the border (and some here) is that the fish are deep, feeding on shrimp, probably 200' or so. it's a fairly common phenomenon with migratory pelagics, there happens to be an abundance of prey at that depth so they stick around there. A change in technique may be necessary to catch fish. It's also possible that a slight change in the environment at any time could push the fish back up to the surface. Anyways, the fish are there, just not where you're expecting them to be. Hopefully a bite turns on soon! The weather has been pretty good for it this year.

Thanks Harper...
i will get on the SSB in morning and announce to the north pac tuna commie fleet ,
that you know the fish are there and will pop up to surface any day .
I,m sure they will appreciate that factual knowledge.
And will love to move in from 5-600 miles where many are now.

Gee capthook, I don't think contacting the commercial fleet would be a good idea. Although I have also read many of the reports that harper44 was referring to about a change in tactics being successful I highly suspect the commercial guys would laugh at you since these tactics are more suitable to a recreational fisher and are not productive enough to warrant changing the tactics of a whole fleet of commercial fishers. Really, we are talking about getting 10 or 15 tuna to the surface, hardly economical as a commercial venture. Also, you misinterpreted what he gave as a plausible theory and instead took it to be his factual forecast.

Glass is half full.

Thanks Harper...
i will get on the SSB in morning and announce to the north pac tuna commie fleet ,
that you know the fish are there and will pop up to surface any day .
I,m sure they will appreciate that factual knowledge.
And will love to move in from 5-600 miles where many are now.

What? did I post on commercialfishingbc.com by accident?

My post (nor this forum or thread) has nothing to do with commercial tuna fishing. I posted a working theory that is backed up by reports from sport fishing boats south of the border that are seeing similar conditions to us. There are commercial trollers working (with poor numbers) in Barkley canyon and outside to 100nm, they are, in fact, waiting for a bite to turn on (I may not, who knows). At any rate, the commercial fleet can do whatever it wants, in fact, most of the fleet (including the troller that I fished last season) are tied to the dock or fishing something else, and will probably stay that way. But that wouldn't stop me from poking out in a sport boat and trying some new techniques, downriggers maybe, this is a sport after all. OR, you can wait for your commie buddy to tell you where, when and how to fish.

My neighbour who is a commercial fisher just flew out on Friday to go fish tuna, dont think he would go if they werent there

does catching steady skip jacks count on big bank? we caught a bunch, i never have before.... are they legal to bonk? i could not find any info retaining them. let most go ;} is another name for them horse mackeral? 6-8 lbs, redish brown tail. tasted good brined in soy sauce for a mid morning snack.

does catching steady skip jacks count on big bank? we caught a bunch, i never have before.... are they legal to bonk? i could not find any info retaining them. let most go ;} is another name for them horse mackeral? 6-8 lbs, redish brown tail. tasted good brined in soy sauce for a mid morning snack.
Pictures please.

Please post a pic. Don't know of any Skipjack tuna aka Bonito caught this far north. They look nothing like any kind of Mackeral I've ever seen (there are about 20 different species of mackeral in the pacific IIRC) so a pic would definitely shed some light on the situation.

I think someone posted a photo in the Bamfield or Ukie page awhile back of what people were catching on the bank...think the called it a horse mackerel.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-it.66501/#post-832941

There was this thread, not sure if it is the same thing.

Also, from https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/documents/bib60887.pdf as found in Canadian Waters:
FAMILY SCOMBRIDAE: Mackerels
Katsuwonus pelamis (Linnaeus) 103 Skipjack Tuna F-KAPE
Sarda chiliensis (Cuvier) Pacific Bonito F-SACH
Scomber japonicus Houttuyn Chub Mackerel F-SCJA
Thunnus alalunga (Bonnaterre) Albacore F-THAL
Thunnus thynnus (Linnaeus) Bluefin Tuna

Horse Mackeral is from this family but it isn't noted to be in BC:
FAMILY CARANGIDAE: Jacks
Naucrates ductor (Linnaeus) Pilotfish F-NADU
Seriola lalandi Valenciennes Yellowtail F-SELA
Trachurus symmetricus (Ayres) Jack Mackerel F-TRSY

It did not look like nogs post.. mackerel looking yes but a redish brown tail with not as heavy markings on it side.. no good pics , sorry

another member sent me a link with a pic... looks like they were jack mackeral..

Attachments

• IMG_0695.PNG
    IMG_0695.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I think the term horse mackerel is often used to describe large macks of whatever variety in the pacific. Hard to tell in that pic but doesn't look like a bonito.

The thread from Nog is interesting, I've never seen bonito up here but the research says they're as far north as north island. They make good livebaits for marlin down south! Also good strip bait for deep dropping for swords....

Gee capthook, I don't think contacting the commercial fleet would be a good idea. Although I have also read many of the reports that harper44 was referring to about a change in tactics being successful I highly suspect the commercial guys would laugh at you since these tactics are more suitable to a recreational fisher and are not productive enough to warrant changing the tactics of a whole fleet of commercial fishers. Really, we are talking about getting 10 or 15 tuna to the surface, hardly economical as a commercial venture. Also, you misinterpreted what he gave as a plausible theory and instead took it to be his factual forecast.

Glass is half full.

hehehe , no i,m not announcing harpers knowledge on the SSB to fleet...
it was just poor sarcasm.
however , there is a good price for the commercial guys if and when they get some..
some guys into good numbers but u need big fuel tanks ...they are outside 600

Last nights Terrafin SST shots of Clayquot were looking good, not so good on chlorophyll though. Anyone heading out or any reports?

Between Louden and Barkley looks awesome right now for both temp and chloro. Right on the 500 line. The wind is supposed to come up this afternoon and tomorrow so we pulled the pin. Tuesday afternoon and Weds. are looking great weather wise. Most likely the long weekend for us. Hopefully the winds co-operate. The water looks good from Washington up to the south end of the Charlottes. Our stretch has formed and the fish are there. We just need the weather!:)

Back