Keeping the otters off.

Birdsnest

My finger that I keep my boat on is on the otters daily route up and down the towns shore which is all docks and breakwaters in tofino. For this reason my finger happens to be one of the major stop overs for fun to watch critters however they don't just stop by. They have used my slip float and area for a bathroom for a very long time.
I get pretty fed up with all the crap and the stench so I though I would try something to deter them. I mixed cyan pepper and vegetable oil and poured it around and they have not been back for a month. Success in my eyes but WINTER IS COMING and with that comes the rain.
I mentioned this to another mariner buddy of mine and he also had a defence. HE said just keep ammonia in a container that the smell can get out of yet is protected from the rain.
Apparently to river otters smell is everything and certain substances keep them away quiet effectively.

Relieved.

There cute to watch aaaaaaand thats about it.

Mouse traps spread out in the boat...not enough to really hurt them....but a good stinger... but they soon learn its not worth stepping into your boat.

FWIW-East Indian groceries often sell bulk crushed Chile Pepper cheap I mean almost giving it away next you're in Nanaimo stop by Taj Mahal and see what they have on offer look for bins near the back.

I don't know if it would work with otters but I talked with an old fellow in Ukee that had an electric cattle fence on his dock to keep the sea lions off. It was laid out flat on the dock and he told me that he'd wait until there was a bunch of sea lions on it then then flip the switch. He said they'd almost fly off the dock. Only took a few times before they learned to stay off.

Last edited:
Mouse traps spread out in the boat...not enough to really hurt them....but a good stinger... but they soon learn its not worth stepping into your boat.

A Rat trap even sends a better message across the nose of the pesky pricks ........ Have at ER!

Traps in all honesty seam a bit ridiculous particularly for me since I use by boat 5 days a week. Although I do see how setting and unsetting the traps could bring great pleasure to one who suffers from the presence of these critters.
I needed a easy practical solution and I think I may have found that. Im wired that way. A little bit of lazy and a bunch of efficiency.

Haha that's pretty good. We recently moved shop and my Boss is still trying to figure out the best, most efficient layout for in and out shipments, parts and materials ect. When he asked my advice I said almost the exact thing. Hire a couple lazy guys and they'll figure out the easiest way to do it.

I used moth balls and some say they don't work but for me they did ? I also kept a portable radio running on low. A motion sensor also works (toy ) ?

I had a MAJOR problem with otters, ripped seats, crap, pee everywhere. This worked 100%. Two ultrasonic solar speakers (ebay) and metal pigeon guards found at standard building supplies. Cut a hole in a large sheet of plywood and voila, no otters. The center piece is optional I would say. Good luck!!!
20210628_125345.jpg

I tried everything in a boathouse where they had made a home in. Tried every scent trick and nothing. Finally bought an electric fence setup from the farm and feed place and ran the wires around the slip. No issues after that.

I live around a pile of otters—-they just love my dock.......I have an inflatable raft up on the dock—-the bow line is looped around a cleat. I noticed those otter like to shiat right on top of the knot of the bowline, like they just can’t wait to watch me untie it and get shiat on on hands

BUt it struck me how meticulous they are—-they like to shiat in the same place......so I put a square of plywood out on the dock, approx. 1/2 meter square (I covered up the cleat and bowline with another plywood square)

That’s the only place they’ll do their business on now. I shove it into the water to clean it off, then put it back on the dock in the same place once it‘s clean....rinse...repeat

Back