So now we get to eat Genetically-Modified Salmon...."WTF"

AtIP request. Prob hundreds of pages of emails...

Last edited:
maybe...maybe not
Quote from the posted article: "More than 600 pages of emails show the discussions between the CFIA and AquaBounty..."

Not sure why politics, and collusion in the regulation and enforcement of the aquaculture industry is "new" news to the industry supporters...

Quote from the posted article: "More than 600 pages of emails show the discussions between the CFIA and AquaBounty..."

Not sure why politics, and collusion in the regulation and enforcement of the aquaculture industry is "new" news to the industry supporters...

I can turn that around easily and say why are critics of the industry speculating as to what happened instead dealing with the facts? 600 pages of what? Lab technicians cutting corners? CFIA managers taking bribes? I will repeat my same two questions from before.

First thing I want to say - is that I don't blame a CFIA lab tech - nor a fish farm worker shoveling feed - for the corruption and collusion in the upper-end of most of our country's federal agencies - including the CFIA and DFO.

Having said that -I believe that there is a institutionalized arrogance and defensive narrative promoted and maintained within these departments - chiefly through fear-based tactics of upper-level managers. I believe that is why many employees got out on sick leave.

There's been lots written about this kind of sick, dysfunctional, patronizing paradigm within both the RCMP and the military, of late. The RCMP Commissionaire was even held in contempt of Parliament. It's not so different within both certain branches of DFO and the CFIA. See:

https://www.desmog.ca/2013/07/04/cf...nowned-canadian-oie-research-lab-loses-battle
http://commonsensecanadian.ca/winning-salmon-pr-war-cohen-commission-gillis/
http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/...sh-health-agency-wins-the-war-against-us.html

I believe there's a reluctance on behalf of many fish farm critics to not look at things objectively - with the tendency to side with speculation rather than facts. You are talking about these things that these managers are engaged which you may not agree with and interpret a certain way, but in this case that doesn't necessarily equate to wrongdoing or that safety was compromised. Where in these 600 emails does it show this inappropriate action put food safety at risk?

Now I'm not sure how many emails the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network (CBAN) went through, but if they came across correspondence which showed that testing quality was indeed compromised by this reshuffling then I would tend to see the CBAN's position differently, but what's described in the news article doesn't equate to wrongdoing which compromised safety. Arrogance may not be a nice trait, but it doesn't necessarily mean that things were done inappropriately. I have worked with few managers above me over the years that were not the best communicators, but it doesn't mean they were corrupt or didn't do a good job. Instead, the CBAN looks at some correspondence and extrapolates a narrative and conclusion which up until now is not based on any facts. In my opinion, when folks like the CBAN go down that road it draws into question their own credibility which may not matter with staunch aquaculture critics who are sold on it immediately, but it likely would with those they are trying to influence in order further their cause. You may not blame the CFIA lab tech or the Aquabounty employee caring for broodstock, but they unfortunately become part of the collateral damage brought on by these environmental groups because it draws into question the professionalism of these employees.

After reading the CBC article I personally don't see anything highly unreasonable with the request given that the viability of the eggs is finite. I have dealt with many labs over my career in both private and public settings and it's not unusual to try to request action on your samples as fast as possible or for the lab to switch priorities on their cliental. Jumping the cue doesn't necessarily mean that the people doing the testing are not doing the job they are entrusted to do. In my opinion, if we were talking about any other industry this would not have made headlines as vigorously or been mentioned here. However, when comes down to it, the roads all lead to the two questions I asked before. Facts should matter. If the CBAN feels there was inappropriate behaviour which compromised safety then the responsibility lies with them to show it, not the CFIA for disproving how the CBAN viewed the documents obtained under Access to Information.

Thank you for your post, Shuswap. It was well-written and fair. I agree with many of your points.

However, as much as you make valid points about this particular news article - it describes a situation that is but a symptom of deep dysfunction at the top end of CFIA, DFO and the government in general. It is but one example in a long line of unfortunate examples. Critics trying to get information from the government and regulators did not create this situation.

As far as I see it - it is a combination of the legacy of our top-down, paternalistic colonial government coupled with corruption, power and party politics, lobbyists and fear and intimidation and isolation in the upper end of our governance structures. It's not working properly.

An informed and engaged electorate/citizenry is critical to a functioning democracy and it's regulatory functions. I haven't forgotten that many of our forefathers of our country gave their lives during WWI and WWII to ensure we have the right to have a democracy - and to fulfill our duties as citizens to participate and ensure proper oversight and governance.

Last edited:
YUK ....... Who in their right mind would support this crap. How are our officials turning a blind eye to this?

Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd ever buy any Farmed Fish, or this GMO junk.

YUK ....... Who in their right mind would support this crap. How are our officials turning a blind eye to this?

Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd ever buy any Farmed Fish, or this GMO junk.

Most people will though, just like they/we/you do for all other factory farmed meat and GMO veggies and grains. All the grocery stores are full of it with a tiny chuck of floor space for local and organic if there's one at all.

Some will, 3x5. At least if it is labelled - people can make an intelligent choice - if they want to. That's why in North America - but not Europe - gm organisms are hidden in the food chain w/o labelling. So much for "free market" and consumer choices...

Most people will though, just like they/we/you do for all other factory farmed meat and GMO veggies and grains. All the grocery stores are full of it with a tiny chuck of floor space for local and organic if there's one at all.

I dunno. The major grocery chains where I live (i.e. Superstore, Save-On Foods, Quality Foods, Thrifty's, etc.) the organic spaces are getting bigger and taking more floor space as each year goes by. The organic and local food sector is one of the fastest growing sectors in the food industry for the last several years.

If the GMO industry was so sure about how the sector will grow, why are they fighting so hard to stop legislation that requires labeling GMO foods - because people who are concerned about their health won't buy it! They want to keep their GMO foods a secret. I and many others wouldn't I eat one of these franken-fish anymore then I would eat a chemically laced, potentially disease ridden feedlot raised farmed salmon.

Last edited:
Back