Scotty rod holders

Grace underfire

So after 12 years the rod holder that was on my rigger got brittle and gave out, so I bought a Scotty rigger. Problem is, it's loosy goosy where you should be able to jam it in tight. I'm not sure I want to use it and risk the rod going over the side. Ideas? Gorilla glue? Cotter pin?
Thanks in advance.

So are you talking about the standard rod holder that is boom mounted on the downrigger? sounds like the supplied ( or original ) set screw may be too long for your new rod holder. ; this would mean the locking "gears" won't tighten up enough to mate together.

scotty makes a few different length screws, as well as one where it's only partially threaded up the shaft. i'm drinking blue curaoco that i found in the back of the liquor cabinet so i hope this makes sense ;)

So are you talking about the standard rod holder that is boom mounted on the downrigger? sounds like the supplied ( or original ) set screw may be too long for your new rod holder. ; this would mean the locking "gears" won't tighten up enough to mate together.

scotty makes a few different length screws, as well as one where it's only partially threaded up the shaft. i'm drinking blue curaoco that i found in the back of the liquor cabinet so i hope this makes sense ;)
Makes sense, but all the gear is new, and I checked the part numbers and am using the suggested combo.

IMO worst place to put your rod no matter how good they work. My favorite is flush mounted holder on the stern in the middle of the boat pointed straight back & up 30-45 degrees - easy to get out when needed & you can watch both rod tips at once.

Makes sense, but all the gear is new, and I checked the part numbers and am using the suggested combo.

So the gears line up but when you go to tighten the locking screw it tightens up all the way and the rod holder is still loose? Again i think the locking screw is too long, scotty also makes an insert; it is a little "puck" with the gears on either side. Its about 1/8" thick.it's purpose is to make micro adjustments for the rod holder. it just might be what you need to tighten it up

So the gears line up but when you go to tighten the locking screw it tightens up all the way and the rod holder is still loose? Again i think the locking screw is too long, scotty also makes an insert; it is a little "puck" with the gears on either side. Its about 1/8" thick.it's purpose is to make micro adjustments for the rod holder. it just might be what you need to tighten it up
I tried the pucks once and threw them away after one tack. They didn't tighten up enough to keep the rod holder in the set position.

Not sure I'm describing this right. It's ok where those puck things would go. The issue is the spindle where it goes into the boat. And I don't think it is too long as it does drop in flush, but it's just not tight.

Not sure I'm describing this right. It's ok where those puck things would go. The issue is the spindle where it goes into the boat. And I don't think it is too long as it does drop in flush, but it's just not tight.

what type of rod holder is it?pics may help. anyways the rod holder base has a key way which will allow you to only insert it one way. it then should rotate 180' to now point outward to the exterior of the boat. it should then push down tight and even lock depending on the type of base.

Back