2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Lots of closures around Nootka. Check the regs. As said already, the maps are a little hard to find on the awesome DFO site.

There are good maps on the DFO site they are just a pain in the arse to find. Yup lots of closed areas,I'm going up in a couple weeks. Glad we found the maps it would be easy to get in trouble.

Just back from a 5 day trip to Moucha Bay. Fishing was significantly better for us this year. Although there were some jellyfish around I didn't find them to be a significant factor - unlike last year where they were so thick we had to pull our lines every 10 mins to clean them off & they were always covered in slime when we pulled them up. That alone significantly impacted our ability to get fish last year. We ended up with our limit of 12 Chinook all brought in by my son & daughter. By the end of the trip they were both pretty tired from all those battles! Good times. We had 5 fish over 20lbs with the largest being 25lbs. Others were in the upper teens except for two at 13 & 14lbs. Most of our fish were caught along the wall or in 3 bay near Camel rock. They seemed to move around from day to day. Flood tide was by far the best for us. I don't think we caught a fish at slack or on the ebb - we started just fishing flood tides for the last few days and heading in for a break during the slack & ebb. Managed to get offshore to the red buoy area on Sunday - water was very good. Kids got to see a large group of killer whales put on a show & we managed to pick up two of our Chinook that morning - bite was brief and then died off completely.

Offshore I fished artificials and we got both fish on a UV flashfly.
Inshore I fished anchovies exclusively. The fish were deeper than last year - we tried from 25' down to 75' and while we had a few hits higher in the water column at dawn, the vast majority of action was from 60 - 75'. Caught fish both with & without a flasher. In addition to the 12 we landed, the kids lost 6 and we had several other hits that popped the clip but didn't stick. Great trip, great scenery, and quality time with the kids for some great memories! Looking forward to next years trip already!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
TipUp, yes Ferrer is closed as of July `5th.

My buddy was out yesterday on the Whales Tail, T, and the 6 Mile Reef and only got a couple fish so don't waist you time and FUEL. There is lots of fish at the Light House, Beano, Burdwood and inside that you can catch.

Good weather for the next few days.

Thanks for the heads up guys on the closure at Ferrer, the DFO site can be confusing at times

Last edited:
Not sure this is the right place to inquire. I'm heading to Nootka on the 12th and am putting my list of gear to load up with. Should I bother with crab or prawn gear? Staying at Tuta if that makes any difference. And also, small lures still the key? Thanks!

Don't bother with the traps-seems most fish were on chovies but think I would get the mediums

Thanks SF. Wasnt really looking forward to cutting into my hali fishing time anyways. This will be my first time trying for those and I'm hoping to land some gold. Key to my approach is to look like I know what I'm doing when I'm at the dock lol.

Deejray, leave the traps at home. We were here the third week of April before the comies came out on a work party/prawn trip and went home with our 2000 jumbo prawns. When my buddy came back in July he set for two days in the same place and caught 12 prawns.

Yes smaller spoons are working as the bait is so small.

Deejray, leave the traps at home. We were here the third week of April before the comies came out on a work party/prawn trip and went home with our 2000 jumbo prawns. When my buddy came back in July he set for two days in the same place and caught 12 prawns.

Yes smaller spoons are working as the bait is so small.

Cool, i picked up some smaller stuff (always looking for an excuse to add to the collection).

Stayed at Cougar Creek with wife and her family. Fished Hoiss Friday morning,only about 8 boats and landed 4 fish in 3hrs of fishing. Lots of strikes and small shakers. Lots off fish stacked from the point and right down too bay of pigs. Took the wife and kids out in afternoon and put the lines out at the Wall and trolled to Camel . Lots of boats, kids managed to play 3 decent fish. One fish on a plug while the rest of the action was on bait at 55 feet. Did see lots of fish landed around Camel. The biggest fish of the day was 25lbs. Sunday morning I headed back to Hoiss at first light. Never had a bite till 7am and couldn't find the fish. Finally we had a decent fish on then went to wind up the other 2 rods and bam the 2nd rod hooks up a fish.Managed to get both in boat after lots ***** and giggles. Tried getting lines in the water but every boat around us had a fish on. I trolled out of the pack and just got the first rod down and we hooked up again.We fished for another 1/2 hr and landed 1 more fish.All fish on chovys, about 30 boats still there when we packed up.Did the same tack as day before with the kids in the aftenoon and picked 2 fish at the wall.Lots of fish at the cleaning station. We never fished Sunday,camp site wasn't very busy and there where empty sites when we left in the afternoon. Most had left with there limit. News on the dock was that the DFO has up graded the Conuma run to 40 000 pieces.

Just got back last night, Fishing was good inside, we used anchovie and spoons. We managed to get outside on 3 days and catch some white fish. We had 2 days when the temp was 37+, Those afternoons we didn't bother fishing and stayed up at the creek to keep cool! Overall a great trip!

Mike

Got back on Saturday night. We were in a 16' Prince Craft aluminum. A buddy and I ended up with 8 springs a coho and some rock fish. We didn't go outside with the small boat. We had to work for the fish but still a good time.

Cheers, Rob

Just got back went Thursday through Monday got four springs to coho had a blast little slow but found most of my fish at 40 ft springs nice size from 18 to 25 lbs fours us found white uv hoochies really good this trip.was talking to the hatchery guy at the dock and he says there is still a second run that hasn't showed up yet so should speed up again.

Stayed at moutcha bay from the 30th till the 2nd. Fishing was pretty good for us. Limited out on springs between 5 guys and the biggest being 29 lbs. Early mornings were hot for us and between 45-75 ft. Anchovies and hoochies worked best.

Sorry for the sideways pic. Couldn't figure out how to spin it around

Attachments

• 20170730_190208.jpg
    20170730_190208.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 139
TipUp, yes Ferrer is closed as of July `5th.

My buddy was out yesterday on the Whales Tail, T, and the 6 Mile Reef and only got a couple fish so don't waist you time and FUEL. There is lots of fish at the Light House, Beano, Burdwood and inside that you can catch.

Good weather for the next few days.

Saw you out there that last few days. Thanks for the info when we were along side. "The guys in the PINK HATS

Back