2017 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Never drove into Bamfield Guy , Will be going there tomorrow I will let you know Will be going there tomorrow I will let you know , i'm sure it's fine the second half was quite smooth

Felix
Thanks Felix but kids are driving it tomorrow, I'm coming in by boat. See you out there man.

Planned on going down from PA Friday night and staying at a friend cabin before an early morning run to the Rats Nose but with the wind right on my 6 I couldn't get out of my slip. So a 0500 launch Saturday and with a pick up at the cabin we made it out to the nose by 0730. Looked to be 50 - 75 boats out there. We did well. I hear others did not. Biggest spring was 18# and biggest Hali was 20#. 1 flounder, 1 Coho and 1 mystery fish. I have attached a picture with it in it (2nd up or the right) . What is strange is it has a sucker type mouth, the color of a tuna and the body of a mackerel. It was caught in 120ft of water whilst we were in over 300Ft. Any ideas?

Hali Weekend.JPG

Got here to Bam yesterday, here's our report so far, if you can call it that...

Monday - fished 2-6pm. Fleming for the first two hours and zip. Up to Kirby for another couple hours and only managed two shakers that we tossed back.

Tuesday - Not sure what to do as mixed reports inside and we weren't able to go outside... So we head to Edward King at first light - released a borderline keeper spring around 8am and that's it. Zipped over to Beale and trolled there and down to Whittlestone and zippo.

In the small groups of boats we were amongst today, we've seen one fish netted (10 lbs) and one guy lost a 20+ to a seal - both these as Edward King.

So, seems very spotty on inside still - hearing more positive things outside of course.

Where to go tonight... Not quite sure!

we are heading to the sound first thing Thursday morning and staying till Monday. We'll be fishing out of the toquart bay marina.

Any other members going to be stationed there over the weekend?

As promised, here is the latest...

Neighbours here went to rats nose again and limited on springs in easy fashion, 8-12lbs overall.

For us who stayed in shore for the afternoon today, we personally decided on Kirby. An afternoon bite came on at 4pm and we only managed to box a 10lb coho and a fat long ... We let go a borderline spring but lost another bigger coho and a freight train Chinook - damn! Was a good bite for an hour

Threw all the gear at them, sweet spot was 40' and kitchen sink... Ironic since we've been throwing everything at them but the kitchen sink.

See what happens tomorrow!

Amazing how a week can affect the fishing in the Sound.... The run has started to come in... Not in a BIG way, but there are fish here and there.... I limited out at Meares Bluff yesterday morning, 1 18 lbs Spring, 2 Coho and a Pink... More and more fish and showing up, and the cleaning stations at Poett Nook are buzzing with people cleaning their catch.... And I'll finished my review with a special hourrah to Western Forest Product that keep their crown this year again for the worse gravel road maintenance in North America, and an applause to the grader operator that keep sand and gravel on the side of the road, so the holes and washboard are not filled in....

Today had some action, although had to put in a lot of hours and miles to find them (in our experience).

Started this am at Meares Bluff and lost two large coho right off the bat and then threw back a bunch of undersize. Worked up towards Cree and boated a 21lb spring at 730 at 62 ft.

Saw fog ducker and strike zone out there this am too, good to see.

Afternoon bite we went to Edward king and struck out. Saw Get Bent there, nice boat! Decided to come to the wall for a roll of the dice and landed a 23lb spring at 62 feet again. What a battle too, crazy scrap.

80% of our action has been on 3" spoons. Again, seeing and talking to many boats with not much luck so appears to be pockets of fish here and there on the inside.

Amazing how a week can affect the fishing in the Sound.... The run has started to come in... Not in a BIG way, but there are fish here and there.... I limited out at Meares Bluff yesterday morning, 1 18 lbs Spring, 2 Coho and a Pink... More and more fish and showing up, and the cleaning stations at Poett Nook are buzzing with people cleaning their catch.... And I'll finished my review with a special hourrah to Western Forest Product that keep their crown this year again for the worse gravel road maintenance in North America, and an applause to the grader operator that keep sand and gravel on the side of the road, so the holes and washboard are not filled in....

your freezer is filling up nicely lol , thanks again Robert

Just returned from 4 day trip.

Fished Kirby mornings ... pulled in a few 8 to 17 on skinny G @ 60ft. Lost a battle with a seal it was a decent fish but at least got our gear back.

Evenings we fished the Wall and Anguilar where we were most successful. 5 fish high teens and largest being 20lb all on anchovie between 30 to 40 feet.

Shakers everywhere.

Thanks for the reports!

Heading out from work right now to load to boat and start the trek to Bamtown.
Been waiting for this moment all week.

Is there a VHF communal channel?

Feel free to PM me some comms. numbers if you are not into the whole public thing.
We have wifi at the accoms. so will respond when in range.

Otherwise, see you on the water!

Seconded.

Back