Looks like a chinook. Also important to note that some chinook have very little in terms of spotting. I've got some with none on the tail.

Off Beachy Head this AM at first light. Nice 17-18 lbr at 40 ft right at sunrise. Not a lot of action after that....
My 2c thats a Spring.

I saw you out fishing today "finally" in your 17-18ft Malibu Tyee. I assume that was you. Looked like you guys picked up a couple nice springs in tight

Light winds this evening. Fished 6pm-8pm at Church. Double header right away kept the 9lbs put back the small one. That was it. Green and white coho killer with green flasher at 53' in 220'

I got it vacuum packed in the freezer. Is it possible to get the scales off a later date when I smoke it or is best done fresh?

Yes... Leave it frozen till you plan to use it. When you take it out to smoke as soon as it is defrosted scrape a bunch of scales off with a knife and spread them out on paper to dry. When totally dry stick it in an envelope and I will arrange to pick up. Write down length, weight, date etc. if you have it. I will check with the lab and see if they are willing to run it. I will let you know by PM what they say.

I know folks are piling in with the Chinook votes but I think there is something funny about that fish. Look at the odd scale arrangement in the third photo.

Yes... Leave it frozen till you plan to use it. When you take it out to smoke as soon as it is defrosted scrape a bunch of scales off with a knife and spread them out on paper to dry. When totally dry stick it in an envelope and I will arrange to pick up. Write down length, weight, date etc. if you have it. I will check with the lab and see if they are willing to run it. I will let you know by PM what they say.

I know folks are piling in with the Chinook votes but I think there is something funny about that fish. Look at the odd scale arrangement in the third photo.

Freezing it will denature the DNA won't it? I'd let the lab know it's a frozen sample. Odd looking fish. That is exactly what you'd think a chum/spring hybrid would look like. Please post whatever results you get!

Looks like a spring, smells like a spring. Must be a spring.

Although it is a photo of a vacuum sealed frozen fish, I don't see what is chum about it?

Tips

Looks like a spring, smells like a spring. Must be a spring.

Although it is a photo of a vacuum sealed frozen fish, I don't see what is chum about it?

Tips

There's a previous picture of the fish before it was processed and it looked like it had some barring on it. I guess it was from laying in the box, but I threw it on the scale about an hour after it was caught and I said it almost looks like a chum but all other signs pointed to spring. I've caught lots of chums and this seems like a big chum for this time of year.

20140729_143305.jpg I got a chum a few years back at 22 lbs in july guys had to come and take a look at dock because they didn't believe I got one that big....it can happen usually the mouth goes way past the big eye

to me it looks like a chum

I think the gums are the giveaway ,
Wolf's picture shows the Chum with white gums
N2013's salmon clearly had black gums.

I know for sure it was ....
A nice fish that put a smile on your ladies face.
That's what matters!

Tips

Did the morning shift today 5-noon, 1 spring 10-12 lbs at first light at Aldridge, then on to the trap and nothing. Trolled out and up past the Island and out to 400ft of water and couldn't keep the pinks off. 3 large ones into the tub, and another dozen or so small one's back to live another day. Trolled all the way back to the head and nothing. Didn't see a lot of nets out and the one's we did see were all small ones.

Freezing it will denature the DNA won't it? I'd let the lab know it's a frozen sample. Odd looking fish. That is exactly what you'd think a chum/spring hybrid would look like. Please post whatever results you get!
No more than drying it out will. They will be looking for markers not trying to clone anything.

If you look at Wolf's fish the wrist is very narrow and the eye is similar to sockeye, larger than springs and coho. Also the meat in that fish is really red....no chum are that bright of a red. The belly cavity on both sockeye and chum is also quite narrow and you really have to force your hand past the ribs to clean out the guts.

If you look at Wolf's fish the wrist is very narrow and the eye is similar to sockeye, larger than springs and coho. Also the meat in that fish is really red....no chum are that bright of a red. The belly cavity on both sockeye and chum is also quite narrow and you really have to force your hand past the ribs to clean out the guts.

Has anyone ever caught a Chum off Sooke in July over 15 pounds.
A cross breed, I rather doubt it.
Lets move on.
We got two nice Springs in the teens this morning off Aldridge to the Head on the early bit this morning. Home by 9

Another good AM for us early today. 15 lb white spring in no-mans land between the Head and Trap at 5AM. 53 ft on the rigger, green glow teaser w/anchovy. Picked up a 10 pounder off the Head (44ft) shortly after then things got real slow....Seems all my fish lately are coming well before sunrise! (takes the sting out of those 3 AM alarms)

Back