2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Sure-the ramp was an absolute Gong show-everyone wanted in and there were 8 to ten boats waiting in the river to get out-there was absolutely no attempt at control-guys were launching between boats and this on a low falling tide. There should have been an in/ out designated side. Guys were just pushing in where ever and then sat there getting their boat loaded after they'd jumped the line. The FN just took money-no attempt at control or direction.
Camel rock-the tack belonged to the brave and fearless--forget right rod to the beach-in fact forget everything you thought you knew-he with the biggest cojones and oldest crapper boat wins the tack---same around the monument. Bound to happen really--the number of boats from tinnys to 40 footers was hard to comprehend. Off-shore was really quite good-I put that down to fewer boats of course but probably more experienced boaters. I'm sure some guys get off on it-there is a bit of a carnival flavour to it but my report was meant to warn people what to expect for the first time--yes you get a shot at some really nice Springs- will it be once in a lifetime experience---you betcha!!-IF your boat driver can get over your fish and get you to the outside so you have a chance to land it. I would call it Combat fishing or perhaps contact fishing. I know it will sound like sour grapes to some--which is Ok-if you are good with it and don't mind it-enjoy. I had a look and a laugh this time and decided not to play-Went outside to take my lumps with the Pacific--much safer and way more peaceful. My 2 cents

The FN management needs to designate one side of the ramp "in" the other "out" on peak days. I could see last month it was going to turn into a clusterf*ck. They just shrug their shoulders if you ask what the launch rules are. Part of the problem is that the right dock (as you look down ramp) on a low tide only allows two boats max to tie up. It should be extended out longer to match the other dock. That launch has always been the hi light of anxiety any trip I have there. Its an improvement over last year but needs further work.

I often wonder why people can't use the simple rules of the road which is port to port when passing by another vessel. This is essentially the same as right to the rocks but is even simplier in my mind and should apply when fishing or navigating. Pipe dream thinking the general populace will ever figure it out I guess but we can always dream. I do not tolerate crowds well anymore so I will usually chose to fish away from the masses which has been enlightening for me.

If they approach you on your port side and see the red on your light they must give you the right of way and alter there course accordingly. This can be tough when rocks and the beach are involved.

You should only expect the inside tac on the rocks when your starboard is on the rock side, so yes the right to rocks definitely has merit.

Fished Nootka Thursday to Sunday. Thursday and Sunday inside the sound. Caught 3 fish and lost atleast 3. Not hot fishing but they are around. The 2 days off shore were good got our halibut and ling on the drift and fished Beano for springs. Saturdays rain seemed to slow things a bit but we ended up 1 spring shy of our limit. Lost more than we caught which is a first for me but no biggie. Not there for the meat, there for the fishing and relaxation Tagged out on bottom fish.

Had an amazing 1st time at Critter Cove experience with my wife
Fantastic place full of fantastic people
The sights and sounds were incredible
I fish Esperenza usually but the was a classic husband/wife trip
She ran a great tac as well as landing her share of hogs
Team work personified !!!!
Look forward to next years trip !!
Ps,,,,found the boats to be cordial for tacking....but i avoid negativity ,so it never occurred for us ...

Attachments

• IMG_0098 (2).JPG
    IMG_0098 (2).JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0130 (2).JPG
    IMG_0130 (2).JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0031 (2).JPG
    DSC_0031 (2).JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0106 (2).JPG
    DSC_0106 (2).JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0121 (2).JPG
    IMG_0121 (2).JPG
    166 KB · Views: 195
I, too have just returned from a few days fishing at Nootka. It was our third year out there and I thought the fishing was reasonably good. With 4 days of fishing, two of us came home with our limit of springs and a beautiful 12 lb Coho.
It was too rough outside for my little boat so we did not get a shot at hallies & lings. I rely heavily on the solumnar tables and found them to be pretty accurate at predicting the bites. Overall we had a great trip and plan to return in 2018.

There were, however, three rather disappointing issues with the trip. These issues were there before but seemed to be much worse this year;
#1 - We lost 3 sets of gear and 3 beautiful big springs to idiots (or arrogant jerks) cutting across our line (with fish on). If you can believe it, one A.H. actually told us "you should control your fish."
The other two were just asleep at the wheel (or boozing) and had no clue we were fighting a fish. Half a dozen other boats were yelling and waving at them but they just kept on trolling along. I must not paint them all with the same brush as most were considerate and either pulled their gear or quickly moved away once they saw we had a fish on.
#2 - I simply could not believe the number of larger boats (20' +) that blasted through groups of smaller boats (fishing) at top speed; the lack of consideration, to me, is arrogant, ignorant, thoughtless and completely inexcusable. They must all have very small brains and/or dicks.
#3 - I see lots of comments about the 'rules of the road' and we tried very hard to follow them. Others (mostly bigger boats than mine) were bullies. They wanted to fish over the bait ball/ salmon school regardless of the ''right-of-way''. On several occasions we were forced into the shallows and had to pull up the gear.

For the experienced Nootka fishers this is probably ''old hat'' and you have found ways to avoid it or learned to accept it. For us, it took the smile off an otherwise super fishing trip.
Looking forward to some comments; Twogone

Twogone, a lot of outside fishers are used to the idea of continuing to troll as they fight a fish. Guides do it all the time, and often it is a matter of boat control.

But in Nootka, that is not the best approach, as it takes too long to get a fish in when fishing in the pack. Also, it lets a run become too long and too easy for another boat to cut between you and the fish.

Best approach is to cut the power, pull the gear, start up and take chase after the fish to keep the distance tight. All the while having someone wave the landing net high in the air.

Half the guys on the water are deaf and old, the other ones can't hear you yelling over the sound of their trolling motor. However, EVERYONE is like a seagull to the bread loaf in the parking lot, and when they see a net waving around, they take notice right away that a fish is on.

Hope this helps, but yes, some of the bigger boats think its funny to run close to boats fishing when they have miles of water to travel in. Yes, they are A holes.

Drewski

Nothing pisses me off more than the sportsdarggers who hit a fish and continue to go 3mph in a tac away from the fish when the place is busy, stay on top of your f*cking fish :mad:

Nothing worse than idiots telling you to control your fish when they can do the decent thing and get out of the way. I agree it does help to circle your fish if you can though how the times have changed when people don't have any regard for their fellow fishers though!

Nothing worse than idiots telling you to control your fish when they can do the decent thing and get out of the way. I agree it does help to circle your fish if you can though how the times have changed when people don't have any regard for their fellow fishers though!
WTF get out of your way as you are under power going in the opposite direction of your fish, give me a break. I see someone playing a fish i give them all kinds of room but if you have your head so far up your butt when you have a fish on that you cannot control your boat you should stay on land!!!

Sounds like I was trying to say something similar to your post looks like you miss read what I was trying to say jackel

WTF get out of your way as you are under power going in the opposite direction of your fish, give me a break. I see someone playing a fish i give them all kinds of room but if you have your head so far up your butt when you have a fish on that you cannot control your boat you should stay on land!!!
and I taught all the assholes where in Renfrew mooching ;):D

Back