Educate us please

When in a pack of boats and 2 or more people are in the boat, please have someone drive the boat. I have seen enough out there that all onboard are watching the guy playing the fish and no one is driving.
Yes, PLEASE!! And unless the fish is going to spool you, please put the motor in neutral. We're trying to get out of your way, but if you are still moving and worst, if no one is driving the boat so your boat is zigging and zagging, it makes it that much harder to get away from you.

Everyone I know when trolling tight shore passes goes by : right rod to the rocks has right of way on tight shore pass...

Most days when I'm out during the week and the weekend guys aren't around we all kind of fish the same way as well but I'm always recognizing that the Collision regulations are fixed and they override all agreements between friends.
Usually when "me and my friends all fish a certain way" is your mindset what you end up doing is you end up being grumpy and pushy while you're on the water.
If I see somebody getting pushed into the Rock's I change course or speed, if I see a problem coming up I change course or speed, and I find it's usually only about 5% of guys who are grumpy and I just don't waste my time with them. I'm out to be friendly and have fun and I find most other guys are as well

Which says right rod to the rocks has right away, which is counterclockwise. What am I missing?

RRRR, right rod rocks right away

Would that theory work on a big flood at Otter point for example ?
boats would all be bucking onto the current, no?

While it's nice to think that someone can have their boat prepped & ready to drop before hitting the ramp, and ready to roll when pulling out, that just isn't the case for some.
I have a small boat that to arrive prepped to drop, I'd have coolers and/or bags, etc... loose and knocking about in my boat as I drive. Considering the roads by me, that's only good for damage to boat or equipment.
If there is a prep area, or if I'm waiting in line, I will be prepped before the ramp, but otherwise it's done where I can. That said, I have everything organized and ready to be dropped in quickly, so generally I'm still one of the fastest launchers and pullers by me. But even still people get *****.
Last year out in Sooke, one day after pulling, I got the evil eye from a guy that was driving in about to pull his boat. I was farthest right in the staging area (and the only 1 there), tearing down and securing. I'm guessing he was bothered because he had to pay a little more attention on swinging in and straightening, but I really have no idea and don't care. There is sooooo much room at that ramp, I've been there with 4 of us abreast in different states of going in or out, and a 5th on the ramp, with another coming in, and it was all cool & quick.
I appreciate the frustration that can go on (let me tell you about the guy by us that assembles his rooftop aluminum on the ramp) when people take waaaaay too much time, but there are also many out there that seem to believe everyone should get out of their way. The trick is tempering whoever you are.
Help those that need it, inform those that don't know, and exercise some patience.
I realize that many don't want it, some don't accept it, and sometimes we lose it...........but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
To be clear, if you were to ask my kids, I'm sure they'll tell you that I'm probably one of the least patient people out there, but I still try.
Lets keep the blood to that of the fish.

Which says right rod to the rocks has right away, which is counterclockwise. What am I missing?

No you're reading it incorrectly. Any time you are approaching the Port side of a boat, you have to give way. Paying attention to rods muddies the waters, there are many situations where it doesn't apply

Not really, if you are trolling in a counter clockwise direction, the rocks/shore to your left and say the other boat is coming at you from your left side (port side), neither of you have the right of way. BUT you are both obliged to avoid a collision so the rules would say everyone steers to the right. This would mean the oncoming boat ("right rod to the rocks") would steer to the right to avoid a collision, which would put him closer to the rocks. You, being the considerate person that you are, and knowing the bottom contour, CAN elect to turn to hard to the right to allow that person to continue his trolling course close to the rocks. If he was approaching you from your right side ("starboard"), then he has right of way and you are then obliged to steer to the left, "rock side" to yield right of way. If that means you will go into shallow water and the rocks, you can bring your gear to a shallower depth and steer left to follow the rules. Yes, it may seem a pain to have to bring up the ball and stuff, but if you have an electric downrigger, simply push the green button (on a Scotty) to retrieve ball to desired depth, leave the rods alone, and when you're back into trolling depth, drop the ball down again. Not that difficult.

So you only troll with or down stream? In other words you pull your gear on every pass and drive back up stream?
Probably depends on the strength of the current but most experts would say in the open water, to troll with or at least across the current, not against it.Out at Swiftsure, it is not uncommon to troll with the current from point A to point B, then pick up and drive the boat up back to point A to do the drift again. Remember, the fish are traveling with the current, the best way to stay with the school is to go with the current.

No you're reading it incorrectly. Any time you are approaching the Port side of a boat, you have to give way. Paying attention to rods muddies the waters, there are many situations where it doesn't apply
That is correct most of the time because the boat whose port side you are approaching, is on YOUR starboard side and thus HE has the right of way. The only time this would not work is if you are approaching his port side head on (bow to bow), in which case, NO ONE has starboard right of way and everyone steers to the right to avoid a collision.

So you only troll with or down stream? In other words you pull your gear on every pass and drive back up stream?
Yes, in hard current I troll with it and run back at the end of the tack.
Soft currents no problem, just wonder how others do it.

That is correct most of the time because the boat whose port side you are approaching, is on YOUR starboard side and thus HE has the right of way. The only time this would not work is if you are approaching his port side head on (bow to bow), in which case, NO ONE has starboard right of way and everyone steers to the right to avoid a collision.

You're more or less saying the same thing as me. I'm saying that there are situations where the rods rule doesn't apply. Many of them where the other boat chooses to fish shallower water than you.
If you think about right rod, you can be wrong. If you follow the collision regulations as written, you're never wronng.

You're more or less saying the same thing as me. I'm saying that there are situations where the rods rule doesn't apply. Many of them where the other boat chooses to fish shallower water than you.
If you think about right rod, you can be wrong. If you follow the collision regulations as written, you're never wronng.
Absolutely.

Talking trolling circles only.
I say friends loosely.
Everyone I've ever fished amongst or chatted on the subject follows right rod on rocks right of way. Unspoken coastal law

Talking trolling circles only.
I say friends loosely.
Everyone I've ever fished amongst or chatted on the subject follows right rod on rocks right of way. Unspoken coastal law

I think we've covered this point ad nauseum, but yes it's a good basic role of thumb for amateurs who are unfamiliar with navigation, but it doesn't cover all situations, and it comes second to the real rules. If you live somewhere free of massive currents or sandbars, or fish primarily at lodges, it probably won't ever be an issue for you.

I would love to see the starboard to shore has the right of way rule in Masset, as well as you catch a fish in the hot spot move your butt into deeper water and give everyone else a chance... Two local lodges are total hogs...

Back