I watched a buddy nail them today...he had 5 or 6 when I left and was hitting them almost every pass. Wasn't much fun for me watching it happen. Only 1 of 3 for me.
By Gosh. I for one appreciate the honesty because thats how I feel when I watch the daily fishers put on a show for us weekend warriors. So it happens to you too? Good on you.

I'm out as a skipper tomorrow in the take a kid fishing pink festival. I can't get out today to scout around for them so if anyone runs into them with some consistency I'd really appreciate the info. I haven't targeted them this year but it seems like they are still somewhat spotty.
Thanks!
T2

T2,

Good on you for participating in "take a kid fishing", that's awesome man.

I found pretty steady action straight out from secretary in 300-400'. Lines at 70 and 80 did the best, the higher up lines got nada. I started the day targeting chinooks and only went after the pinks pretty late in the day but action was pretty steady until it started to blow.

Have fun!
GnB

I just moved the boat to Pedder. 2 questions for the wiser amongst ya'all....(1) When the wind picks up, where are the best places to fish Springs? (2) What works best for jigging? (3) Where to jug? Around the eddies of ace?

Thank you all...promise to contribute some insights when I hit some luck.
--FirstLight

Stayed out of the wind sheltered in Pedder. Lines down at 6am picked up a 16# first 10 minutes then had one shake the hook 10 minutes after that. Felt about the same size. Sun came up and the fishing went dead. Tried halibut for 45 minutes as the wind gave us a chance, nothing but 1 dog fish. 10:30 was about to give up trolling back into the bay and picked up twin 5# off the water at 11

Fished in the Consultant's derby today. Started out in the Trap area at 7:00am and searched that area at 45-65' with anchovy and 6'' herring for over 2.5 hours with nothing to show. The headed out to 350' of water and dropped lures to 95' and trolled towards Secretary. Began with a 6lb hatchery coho, then got a few pinks, using a mixture of anchovies and pink hootchies. Finally, off Secretary got a nice hit on a small (4'') herring in a tiny teaser and got a 10.5 lb chinook for my daughter. This was good enough for 26th place out of 86 fish weighed in on a day when the winner was only 20.5 lbs. Chinook were very elusive again and many derby fishers had to settle for pinks.
P.S. This was the windiest derby we have yet fished in and by noon the wind was howling at 20-25K so we came in at 12:15pm. Waves were 6-7' and last hour was not fun!!:(

P1280782.JPG

Last edited:
Fished the consultants derby all morning at the trailer park-otter. Literally pounded it from 430-1230 with no luck except for a few measly pinks. Been a while that I've worked so hard for no action whatsoever. Tried everything. Sounder looked dead, saw a few caught but it was very, very, slow. Kudos to the group who puts on the consultants, a really fun derby that raises a good chunk of money for salmon enhancement. Also congrats to the winners!

Windy it was my crew was able to get 7th in the consultants derby in the last hour and pinks were a plenty hope they are there today for the kids in the pink festival and looks like winds have calmed a little bit for them, great time as always glad to say hi to many on the forum here . Thanks to a great job put on by this derby committee they do such a good job....

Tight lines ....

Wolf

Consultants 2017.png

Last edited:
Reports for the island have SUCKED this week, from wind to fish. Let's hope things change for the morning. Good luck all.
Hi I am taking my new to me "old Arima " to Sooke for the first time tomorrow and have great expectations of having good fish stories to post!
I am launching from the Best Western and I would like some advice on where to drop the crab traps?
Tight Lines Tom

You can drop them in the bay right out in front of the Hotel, but make sure you weigh down your traps other wise they will be gone with the tide.

well, that was a gnarly day of fishing in the Consultants Derby - thinking we could hide bit better in Trap we started there, got in real tight to rocks, nothing really marking though, moved to Head, way too gross there, heading back to Secretary and found nice water for a few hours. Nothing really happened for us besides one nice sockeye that went back. Decided to jump to Otter to at least load up on pinks, but just got uglier and uglier so we turned back - big waste. Limped back to secretary off the island and found stuff - in the 80's seemed to work - we got a couple pinks, one I thought was a pink that came up easy, but once I got a better look, looked bigger and I knew I was in trouble as it hadn't ran. Lost pretty quick. Dropped back down, same spot and hit another one same depth - better fish - good fish probably low teen, getting ready to net and out of the corner of our eyes, we failed to see a boat about to T bone us (or I should say they failed to notice we were fighting a fish in big chop!) Evasive manoeuvres on both our parts and on the scramble he flipped off. Sad as that would have been a decent prize!

Oh well, back on land, event did its thing, raised a huge $2900 auctioning off a 9.9 Suzuki thx to Sherwood Marine & Merc Marine, raised anotther $6000 in our raffle, all in all now it looks like we will be giving away around $16000. Already cut $2000 check to Esquimalt Anglers, $6000 to SSE, and the remaining approx $8000 will go to Jordan River & San Juan round tables, and Swan Lake Xmas Hill Nature sanctuary. Once again, thanks much to all the skippers and guides that help in the event, and congrats AGAIN to tipsup for finding the winner again in that mess out there!

My Team successfully defended our title in the Consultants Derby yesterday for second year running.
21.1 lb, 14.9lb, 12.9lb and 11 lb springs plus a couple of pinks.

Congratulation Dave on your first place fish.
We also got skipper award for most lbs weighed in again this year.

The wind made for some challeging moments but my team handled it well.
Their ears are probably still ringing from me barking orders. Lol

Great Derby again this year.

Tips

Last edited:
I was looking through the results from the Consultants derby and I'd really like to see the 18.5lb & 13.4lb "Pinks" caught by Westshore Cabinets!! 3rd overall with the 18.5 lb'r :confused:

ya... probably a typo

I was looking through the results from the Consultants derby and I'd really like to see the 18.5lb & 13.4lb "Pinks" caught by Westshore Cabinets!! 3rd overall with the 18.5 lb'r :confused:

ya... probably a typo
lol, ya, a typo - we always have the volunteers at Camosun doing the weigh in and they may rush through too fast and slip on the pulldowns. I also see we didnt' have photos going this year and that was probably because we were focusing on having more professional photos done with sponsor banners (turned out to be a nightmare experiment with the friggin wind!) We will get those uploaded though to the website 2017 photo location.

Finally made it out to Sooke today. First time Sooke fisher, and in fact first time in a very long time fisher. Fished the mouth of Sooke harbour, nothing. Heard a bit of chatter over channel 68 and headed to possession and secretary. Managed a couple pinks early on at around 0700-0800. Eventually hooked into a decent sized king that took us for a bit of a run. Fish won this round after a short 5min battle. Lost our bearings though and drifted past secretary during tide change, found ourselves right in front of trap shack. Decided ah what the heck, let's try out luck out here. Hooked into another probable king, and one more pink. Heard a couple boats catching kings but didn't see any in person.

Used two rods, one with an anchovie and one with a green spoon. Lots more luck with the green spoon and green flasher.

We'll try our luck tomorrow again, may try out Otter point, I hear the seas can be rough there though and not sure how our little put put boat will fair.

All in all had a great time, fog was in and out untill 0930 when it lifted and made for a warm day on the seas.

Win or loose, drink some booze. That's what I always say. If anyone is out, hail me on channel 68, love to hear from some forum members. Pretty pumped to be out here right now!

Tight lines. SalmonBaron out.

I think I heard you today on 68 there Baron. You seem like a real straight shooter! I will give you a call tomorrow as I will be out on the water also. Cooking some greasy corn dogs on the stove tonight! Mmm mmm my famous family recipe. Can only have a couple of them as they usually don't take long to come out the other end if you know what I mean. You can find me poking around the harbour mouth tomorrow. Good luck to all!!!!!

upload_2017-7-30_17-45-38.png
Took my son out for some Butt fishing today. Was a little foggy to start but got better as the morning when on. Got one nice one (42lbs). Had to fight the dog fish all day.... Oh well just bring lots of Bait.

Finally made it out to Sooke today. First time Sooke fisher, and in fact first time in a very long time fisher. Fished the mouth of Sooke harbour, nothing. Heard a bit of chatter over channel 68 and headed to possession and secretary. Managed a couple pinks early on at around 0700-0800. Eventually hooked into a decent sized king that took us for a bit of a run. Fish won this round after a short 5min battle. Lost our bearings though and drifted past secretary during tide change, found ourselves right in front of trap shack. Decided ah what the heck, let's try out luck out here. Hooked into another probable king, and one more pink. Heard a couple boats catching kings but didn't see any in person.

Used two rods, one with an anchovie and one with a green spoon. Lots more luck with the green spoon and green flasher.

We'll try our luck tomorrow again, may try out Otter point, I hear the seas can be rough there though and not sure how our little put put boat will fair.

All in all had a great time, fog was in and out untill 0930 when it lifted and made for a warm day on the seas.

Win or loose, drink some booze. That's what I always say. If anyone is out, hail me on channel 68, love to hear from some forum members. Pretty pumped to be out here right now!

Tight lines. SalmonBaron out.
Good luck tomorrow Baron! I'll be out at first light tomorrow AM at the head/trap, I find lately the best action i get is just before sunrise... I'll give you shout if things go well!
Cheers

Back