2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Started early today off of West Van. Lines in the water by 6:30 starting at Fisheries. One small hatchery coho on an old TomMac 3 1/2 mother of pearl at about 50'. By 9 I couldn't take seeing all the activity below in the water and nothing happening on top. So I packed up and headed to the Bell Bouy for the tide change but didn't even get a sniff. No nets in the water that I could see in both locations, however in talking to a fellow fisherman at the launch he informed me he saw a few nets in the water on the North Shore. He felt that they were springs as they looked sizable. Judging by the photos in the previous post maybe I should have gone back to Cowan today.

Well I've meandered from the pink appt. all the way to point Atkinson. Not a sniff! Lots of stuff showing up on the screen, just no love.

Fished Ambelside to Point Atkinson on Sat. I was there at 5:30 am and was by myself for the first hour or so.

Had one pin-popper early by Ambelside but it was gone right away.

Saw some action around 10:30 am right out front of the pink apartments. Was texting the wife telling her it was dead and was ready to head home. As I was typing saw the top rod take a nibble. 30 seconds later the boat beside me was hooked up and landed something shiny. A few minutes later the top road popped again but missed it. Reset the gear and as I was getting ready to set the top rod again I had something on the bottom rod. Missed it while I was freeing the top rod. Circled around for another 30-45 minutes but couldn't find them again. I was so frustrated that I missed it!

Was fishing hootchies and spoons at mostly 30' and 60'.

Only saw one fish jump all day - right out front of the Ambelside pier in ~90' of water.

Question for folks that stack rods. I had ~30 feet out on the top rod between the flasher and the clip. I'm guessing there isn't enough tension to get a good hook set. I'm going to check that hook again to see how sharp it is. Any other tips for getting a good set with that much line between the clip and the flashers?

Yup what he said^^^ and put it deep in the clip. Deep in the clip and you won't need to set the hook it will do it for you

Deepcover: Small 2-3 lbs Cohos and soft mouthed 2-4 lbs pinks headed into the Inlet were what you were having gear today. 12-15 feet leads off the clip and having the slack reeled down tight on the clip will help you see the strike and get on it quickly.

Definitely not the year we were having up until a few weeks ago.

Back