kitetale flashers

jbv

anyone using them and like them? i have a dislike of the big flashers and their massive drag....

I just came back from an overnight fishing trip. We ran a kitetail flasher on the third rod, straight out the back with a spoon. I liked the way it worked, but it didn't get a sniff. That
s the extent of my kitetail experience, however, I am hoping to find a whack of pinks this year and run the kitetails off my DRs as dummies and have the kids hammer a bunch of pinks.

anyone using them and like them? i have a dislike of the big flashers and their massive drag....

I've tried the Kite-tails. Nothing miraculous happened. Actually nothing happened.

I've tried the smaller 8 inch Hotspot -type flasher with a spoon. That worked. Spoon five feet behind.
As far as hoochies go, I was going to try running one exactly 12 inches behind a Kite-tail and see if that would jumpstart a strike. I tried hoochies per the package instructions and got no hits.

Last edited:
I like using the kone zones for dummies and fishing spoons or bait above and behind them, have used many different hoochie head attachments finding the ross swimmer heads seem to work better than most others but definitely don't out fish the hoochie flasher combo. so far I'm not a fan of the jugheads which have been hyped a lot on this site. those kite tails look a little pricey for what they are.

I have used them quite a bit on my kayak and in a boat DR fishing. I really like the low drag feature for paddling, and the low line drag when on a fish. Still waiting for something over 10 lbs to bite. Mostly with an anchovy. Can't say if it's any better than mooching a herring.
Anyone? Something big?

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of not running in-line flashers. I do it exclusively on 2 riggers. Kone zone or agitators on one side, bare plug or big spoon centre and an inline on other (not mine) side. I have looked at those kite tails and I think they have a place and should work but I just stick with what I know. Good luck though.

GnB

I picked one up at the Island Outfitters garage sale this spring and have been trying it off and on. So far, it's caught the same number of fish that my other rigs have during those times... Zero ;)

I do like this idea of them though and will keep using it.

Back