2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Well commercial FN seining was allowed in Howe Sound last cycle and people are wondering why there is no pinks lol

Maybe it could explain Howe sound, but there were tons on pinks at the mouth of the Capilano by now 2 years ago , some of those spawned in the Cap or the creeks near the mouth, some were Seymour fish, some Indian river, they didn't get fished by seine boats and they are also no where to be seen. Maybe the run is late, or maybe the same ocean conditions that are causing there to be almost no Sockeye in the Fraser runs, and also in the Skeena system further north decimated the pink runs as well.

I work marine construction on the Fraser daily, seen minimal jumpers at our yard below the queensborough in the last two weeks until today, saw at least a dozen and that was only while paying attention. Hopefully just a few weeks late, good light tackle fun.

I work marine construction on the Fraser daily, seen minimal jumpers at our yard below the queensborough in the last two weeks until today, saw at least a dozen and that was only while paying attention. Hopefully just a few weeks late, good light tackle fun.
Those are most likely sockeye. Still a bit to early for school of pinks moving up the Fraser.

I work on Annacis Is, on my way in today as I drove over the rail bridge at the east end of the island I saw a bunch of fish rolling and disturbing the surface... not sure of species but when fish like pinks or sockeye come in thick they show up in the same spot...

Fraser test set for cottonwood/whonnock would be conclusive to a bump of sockeye entering the system now- catches of 2 reported......

Well commercial FN seining was allowed in Howe Sound last cycle and people are wondering why there is no pinks lol
It was a commercial seine opening last cycle and not first nations. Operators exceeded catch limits and fished in closed areas, so the fishery was closed abruptly. https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/w...y-on-howe-sound-shut-down/Content?oid=2669515

They wanted to have one again this cycle but the local SFAC opposed it and got it closed. Low numbers of pinks are due to major high water events in Squamish system when the last cycle was spawning in 2015.

It was a commercial seine opening last cycle and not first nations. Operators exceeded catch limits and fished in closed areas, so the fishery was closed abruptly. https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/w...y-on-howe-sound-shut-down/Content?oid=2669515

They wanted to have one again this cycle but the local SFAC opposed it and got it closed. Low numbers of pinks are due to major high water events in Squamish system when the last cycle was spawning in 2015.
Noticed some test nets being set in the Sound last week. Any suggestions where they might be posted?

Man did the reports go silent- my late report: portoue/furry was indeed dead- nada for me and not the usual... Sunday first light with my boy- noted fish come back from the gambier side when I was pulling out...
Things gotta heat up soon-

Fished the south today. Started at Sandheads Lightship around ten am. Instantly into a few small fish but nothing to bonk, traveled to T 10 Marker, looped around for a while, zippo, back to the light ship, near five o'clock boom, a good fished fooled by my favorite go to hootchie, glo white, med green blend, instantly feel it's a good fish and it takes off hooking onto the rod stacked above it. I says to buddy well we both get to play him lol. Fish comes to the top, full opposite side of the boat ,it's a goodin. Smashed splash sploosh!!!! A Dump Bear of the Sea, yup a Seal flys out if the water with the fish and flasher in tow........ No we didn't get the fish, flasher and all gone, yet again. Sure glad I'm doing thus for enjoyment, it's certainly not to save money by catching rather then buying fish haha !
All and all, a great day on the waster with a couple of good friends, marked a fare amount of fish from 120-160, often larger groups or schools, I was running all spring gear but who knows maybe hey were Sox ...... Or dogs for that matter.
Three other fish on White Purple, what I've been told, Gabriola special hootchies. Nothing on two rods dedicated to a selection of Spoons , all my local go toos, nuttin. Fish we hit all from 75-95 feet, tried to 160 and zipp there.
Three other boats, never saw a net out.

That's it from me ....... Till next time..... Good luck all.

HT

I'll chime in. Was invited out by colleagues to jump on board with Bon Chovy today.

Notta in 5-6 hours from West Van to RC between two boats. Running chovies, spoons and hoochies. Had one good sized on for ~20 seconds.

This was between two boats. Didn't see any nets out. Orcas put in a show though. Not many boats out.

Ya, Vancouver area has been painfully slow these past couple of weeks. Sure hoping that changes soon. I'll be out on the water this weekend so hopefully have a positive fishing report to share soon as local reports have just sucked lately.

There seems to be fish coming out of the hump and Roger Curtis the last 2 days, if you're heading out that's where I would try.

Fished the south today. Started at Sandheads Lightship around ten am. Instantly into a few small fish but nothing to bonk, traveled to T 10 Marker, looped around for a while, zippo, back to the light ship, near five o'clock boom, a good fished fooled by my favorite go to hootchie, glo white, med green blend, instantly feel it's a good fish and it takes off hooking onto the rod stacked above it. I says to buddy well we both get to play him lol. Fish comes to the top, full opposite side of the boat ,it's a goodin. Smashed splash sploosh!!!! A Dump Bear of the Sea, yup a Seal flys out if the water with the fish and flasher in tow........ No we didn't get the fish, flasher and all gone, yet again. Sure glad I'm doing thus for enjoyment, it's certainly not to save money by catching rather then buying fish haha !
All and all, a great day on the waster with a couple of good friends, marked a fare amount of fish from 120-160, often larger groups or schools, I was running all spring gear but who knows maybe hey were Sox ...... Or dogs for that matter.
Three other fish on White Purple, what I've been told, Gabriola special hootchies. Nothing on two rods dedicated to a selection of Spoons , all my local go toos, nuttin. Fish we hit all from 75-95 feet, tried to 160 and zipp there.
Three other boats, never saw a net out.

That's it from me ....... Till next time..... Good luck all.

HT

I feel like we had the same day!

We had pretty much the same experience yesterday, Started off fishing from Cowen to south Bowen. Nothing! not even a bit! and were were getting hit by waves coming from the south! no fun! So we headed over to West Van for the flood! Fished Point Atkinson with Some guide boats around. We cough nothing and we did not see the guide boats catch anything ether! Had to fight off a bird at the surface that was trying to steel my chovy!

So we had enough of dealing with that so we headed down to T10, flat calm out by this time! so at least the boat ride was nice! Marked tones of fish at 160 to 120" So I threw on my favorite hoochie and sent it down there! by this time the current was flowing fast! were cruising at 3.5 Knots, lines on the biggest angle way back and waammmm slmammy a dog fish? what did i do snagg it? the thing should be entered into the race with Michael Phelps.

So I go to set my line again and have it at the back of the boat and a seagal goes for it! a hoochie? what is this thing? first a dog fish? and now a bird? super hoochie of awesomeness? expert when it comes to salmon?

Put in an 8 hour shift and covered a lot of ground! where are the fish?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reports guys. It can only get better from this point. Give it a few days and maybe more salmon show up in the harbor. I was just checking my pics/videos from 2014-15 and man, what a difference! by first week of August, there were tons of jumpers in the west van/cap mouth. first week of August 2015, limit of springs between T10, QA and Bell. 3rd week of July 2015, the ash rain from the wild fires on sunshine cost and pinks and coho jumping everywhere. That day we landed 16 pinks and 6 cohos on 4 hours of jigging.
Don't want to believe that this year's going to be a repeat of last summer... :(

I've been watching in Indian Arm and no action so far. The seals seem to be thrashing around a bit more in the last few weeks, so I'm guessing there are some fish around. Haven't seen any pinks jumping yet though.

I'm going to bet on everything being a few weeks late. Remember how miserable May was? The rain didn't stop until the long weekend. June was poor as well.

Also, looking at the PSC Area 12 reports, it looks to me like the Pinks and Cohos are just starting to show up in the northern reaches of the strait.

http://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/test-fishing-results/

Back